Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using the ol 3520 today & yesterday I noticed its getting increasingly more difficult to unplug the block heater from my extension cord....Whats the best grease to use in there? Just some Dielectric grease?
I only ask cause I know Dielectric grease is non-conductive...I've always used it to seal out moisture in connections, but in this case I want to lubricate the actual conductors...

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
I vote YES. I use die-electric grease on every connector I take apart and every light bulb I install.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Any brand name recommendations on dielectric grease?

I'm glad you specified _insulation_ grease. I've been itching to buy some of this for years:

http://www.cool-amp.com/conducto_lube.html

I might get the 2 oz one. I still need to tear down my 400 amp transfer switch and clean it/lube it from the mouse that pissed on it.

It's a bit pricey though. I have a 16 oz jug of their " Kool Amp silver plating stuff, I use it to silver plate coils I make for RF circuits. 16 oz is a lifetime supply, I should have got the 4 oz amount.

Pete

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
Any brand name recommendations on dielectric grease?
I just bought a large tube from the local auto parts store, they call it "bulb grease". Unsure of the brand, sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I am with Kenny. I go to napa and buy a tube of dielectric grease and use it on light bulbs, especially outdoor ones, and anything else in the elements. The tube is like 10 bucks and lasts years.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Kenny, Brian, tnx. I'll get some.

Spudland Dave, I'll probably get some Conducto Lube and use it when I clean up my 400 amp transfer switch. It will take "just a smidge" on the contacts and I know it will be good for life.

When I was at Purdue, I got to do a little work in the utility tunnels. There was a 6 inch buss bar than ran all over campus. Everywhere they bolted it together it was silver plated with the Kook Amp. They use the Conducto Lube on some of their switchgear. Yeah, the price has put me off for a few decades here but I think it's time to try it.

I also have two small containers of a much cheaper compound I use if I want to seal up a connection. They are both a silicon grease based product. One has very fine ground copper in it, the other a mix of copper and aluminum. They look like solid tubs of copper. If you were connecting a ring terminal to something and it was outside, you put the smallest amount of this stuff on there and when you tighten things up it squishes out and you have a water proof connection. The difference between this stuff and the Conducto Lube is 1) cost and 2) this stuff is not made for moving parts like switchgear. The tubs are unlabeled, bought them 20 years ago.

Imagine how much a grease gun with the Conducto Lube would cost !

Pete

·
Registered
95 Posts
Electrical Grease

Gents:

While certainly not a subject matter expert in this area I recall a message that went out to our dealer techs regarding dielectric grease and electrical grease. I now only use electrical grease on all my Tractor/RV/Automotive electrical wiring connectors.

The correct usage for Electrical Grease (XG-12) is as follows:
1) Lubricates and protects electrical connectors
2) Provides a non-corrosive film for electrical switches and contacts
3) Protects connector pins/metals from oxidation and corrosion

The correct usage for Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound (XG-3-A) is as follows:

Brake Applications:
1) Lubricates disc brake caliper slide pins
2) High resistance to water and heat
3) Compatible with EPDM rubber

Ignition System Applications:
1) Provides high voltage seal to secondary ignition wires
2) Suppresses voltage leaks by coating inner distributor cap surface, plug Wire/Coil on Plug to spark plug connections

DO NOT INTERCHANGE THE XG-12, XG-3-A, USAGES.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dave,

Yes the XG-12 is the product in the FCSD link you included.

I am not certain who the grease supplier is. However, I have also seen spec'd out a product from Nye Lubricants, Nyogel 760G which is used on our electrical connectors, especially the 4 pin trailer tow connector we use. Maybe Nye makes the grease for us??

http://www.nyelubricants.com/products/nyogel.shtml

1 - 10 of 10 Posts