Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as of 2011 the accessory SCV's on the 4x20 Cab tractors are all electrohydraulic. Only the loader valve is mechanical. I have no idea how these work as i have never used one. Do you just hold the switch down until the desired movement is reached and then let up? I can see why you might want that on the loader joystick with a grapple, bale grabber or what ever. I fail to see why you want it for SCV 4 and 5 at the back. It's so much easier to move an analog lever the distance you need and then stop, plus that's mechanical and less to go wrong 20 years from now and easier to fix when it does.

Comments?

·
Registered
170 Posts
So, as of 2011 the accessory SCV's on the 4x20 Cab tractors are all electrohydraulic. Only the loader valve is mechanical. I have no idea how these work as i have never used one. Do you just hold the switch down until the desired movement is reached and then let up? I can see why you might want that on the loader joystick with a grapple, bale grabber or what ever. I fail to see why you want it for SCV 4 and 5 at the back. It's so much easier to move an analog lever the distance you need and then stop, plus that's mechanical and less to go wrong 20 years from now and easier to fix when it does.

Comments?
One plus of the electro hydraulic SCV is they can position the buttons in front of you, so no more reaching back. You can also add cool toys like headland management, among things. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts

Comments?
Thanks, I wasn't worried until I read this post...

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
One thing about EHV's is that they are not proportional, so they are ON or OFF. I am not sure I understand why JD went to this setup. I agree thats it's OK for the 3rd on a loader, but probably not so great for the rear where finer control is often wanted/needed.

They also changed the 3x20 series as well.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I suspect Deere went EHV as it's quicker to design, route, and assemble wires than cables and especially linkages. The ON/OFF of an EHV seems to be a shortcoming since I haven't used one; but I'm not overly pleased with the cable controls on my 3 - 5 SCV as friction makes them tough to operate with any degree of finesse when needed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing about EHV's is that they are not proportional, so they are ON or OFF. I am not sure I understand why JD went to this setup. I agree thats it's OK for the 3rd on a loader, but probably not so great for the rear where finer control is often wanted/needed.

They also changed the 3x20 series as well.
This is exactly my concern because I am considering a 4520 Cab. I'm kind of an analog guy :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is exactly my concern because I am considering a 4520 Cab. I'm kind of an analog guy :)
I think you guys might be a little too paranoid. Why would Electrohydraulic SCVs be good enough for row crop tractors and not good enough for the 3000 and 4000 series?

Why would Deere make the switch if they were not 100% confident in the systems longevity/functionality?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think you guys might be a little too paranoid. Why would Electrohydraulic SCVs be good enough for row crop tractors and not good enough for the 3000 and 4000 series?

Why would Deere make the switch if they were not 100% confident in the systems longevity/functionality?

I agree. The fact is, they are better in every way. Location in the cab for one, since they are not mechanically linked, they can out them anywhere. With Headland management systems, the ESCV shines, among things.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

The electrohydraulic valve idea has been around for quite a few years on forage harvesters, combines and many other applications. They have been very reliable. However, the electrohydraulic scv's on rowcrop tractors are quite a bit more elaborate. They have electrically controlled flow rates and detent timers. ALso the switches are "variable" where on the compacts, the switches are off, or on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The electrohydraulic valve idea has been around for quite a few years on forage harvesters, combines and many other applications. They have been very reliable. However, the electrohydraulic scv's on rowcrop tractors are quite a bit more elaborate. They have electrically controlled flow rates and detent timers. ALso the switches are "variable" where on the compacts, the switches are off, or on.
I'm not saying they are EXACTYLY the same. The point is, technology is taking over and has been for a while. I wouldn't be shocked if all the cable/lever stuff is gone in the near future. Whats left in the CUTs? 2wheel/4wheel drive and A,B and C range.

Does anyone remember when you had to manually shift your 4x4 from 2wheel to 4wheel? When you had to hand crank the windows up? Now everything is push button. I remember these same arguments back in the day.

If JD didn't make these changes everyone would be sitting around saying "get with the times" Instead they are out front leading, where they should be. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not saying they are EXACTYLY the same. The point is, technology is taking over and has been for a while. I wouldn't be shocked if all the cable/lever stuff is gone in the near future. Whats left in the CUTs? 2wheel/4wheel drive and A,B and C range.

Does anyone remember when you had to manually shift your 4x4 from 2wheel to 4wheel? When you had to hand crank the windows up? Now everything is push button. I remember these same arguments back in the day.

If JD didn't make these changes everyone would be sitting around saying "get with the times" Instead they are out front leading, where they should be. :thumbup1gif:
Well, That's why I started this thread, because I know nothing about electrohydraulic scv's.

I remember well vehicles before electric everything. Easy to service myself. New cars and trucks are electric everything and they are great when they work, and super expensive when they quit working. Plus, try getting parts to repair that electric seat and mirrors from 20 years ago.... NLA is a pretty common response. Tractors last longer than cars. I can only hope that way down the line those parts will still be available.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with manually shifting from 2 to 4 wheel drive. Jeez, remember when you could get a standard transmission? Pretty soon they will be fazed out because computer controlled transmisions are more fuel efficient. To heck with cost and reliability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.