Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the people who I plow and mow, etc. for in the neighborhood are running out of paper checks, several have decided to not order more checks and have asked me about accepting payments via such "apps" as Venmo, Google Pay, etc. Also, I should mention that not only is this an issue for me personally, but as the treasurer of our HOA, I have also had the issue come up for those who want to pay their dues via these apps.

We have always just gotten checks from each resident but the times, they are a changing, and now some don't have checks. Simplicity, low fees are paramount in both situations, my personal and for the HOA. The HOA is either one or two payments a year where the personal ones would be monthly or more often.

I don't have any Apple products so Apple Pay is out.

I read about the different Pay person to person Apps and there is good and bad. Frankly, I would just prefer good old fashioned Benjamins but that requires making a personal visit to receive the money, although one did leave $1,100 in cash in my mailbox in an envelope.......and sent me a text telling me they had done so, which was ironic as I was home at the time and they didn't come to the door......:dunno: (too lazy to get out of the car, I think)

When I read about these different "Apps" I read positive and negatives. Personally, I do very little paying with anything but either checks or cash. We haven't had a credit card in at least 15 years. Simply don't use them or like them.

I do have a PayPal Account, but when I mentioned that to one who wants me to sign up with Venmo, she claimed that Paypal charges fees to send money to another paypal account. I told those who have asked to pay via an App I would pick one or two at the most and if there are any fees or costs to use the payment process, they would incur the fees for their convenience.

Frankly, looking at the options gives me a headache and I have 20 million other things to be doing so I thought I would ask my GTT family for their suggestions. Just to give you a range of the amounts which would be paid, it's typically between $300 to $1,200, depending upon what's been done in that billing cycle.

One neighbor, who I have plowed his driveway for at least 10 years, he has something set up with his bank and he enters the payment on line and his bank sends me a paper check. Takes 3 to 4 days from when he inputs it. I mentioned this to others as an option but apparently, its not "high tech enough" for some as they love using their "Peer to Peer Apps".

I know that recently someone (I think it was Little Green Machine) commented about how he dislikes cash and hates change and doesn't like bothering with it. That's how I feel about the APPs and electronic payment methods to some degree.

Here are my questions and concerns about the use of the APPS;

1. Want it to be secure and safe and I read a lot of security issues with Venmo and some others. In fact, I think Venmo will only allow you to keep a limited balance in your account as that is all they will cover in the event of a loss (seems like it was $1,900)

2. I don't want to pay any fees or if there are, the person paying with the source will incur the fees.

3. What do I do with the money once its in the APP? I see many charge to transfer to your bank account under various situations and in different time frames.

4. If I am going to accept payment with one of these, I want one which is useful to me to make purchases with the money which goes into the personal account so It needs to be something accepted by regular merchants (grocery store, hardware, gas station, etc). The app for the HOA would end up with the money going into the bank account at some point.
Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated. The simpler, the better.............Thanks for the replies.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I bank with Navy Federal and they let us use an app this is there discourse on it. I have never used it but am thinking about it.

We pay our garbage, sewer, and cabin rentals with PatPal. Have had an account for years and it works well.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use the PayPal app for my business. I do have to pay a fee to accept credit cards, but it’s worth it to avoid late payments and the bounced check fees. I have found that if they bounce a check, the odds of getting reimbursement for the fees are slim. I am up front with customers and charge them the fee on the invoice.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Person to person has things like PopMoney, although I think they charge a $3.00 fee per transaction. I guess if you wanted the other party to pay the fee, just make the amount of the request $3 more than the bill would normally be. PopMoney can be set up through most banks, and can work via email or text. It takes 3-5 business days for the funds to be placed in your account, from the person receiving the request submitting the funds. If the party that is the payee does not send the funds within 7 days, a reminder request is sent to the other party, automatically. You set it up through your bank and can choose whether it goes into your savings or checking, with each individual request.

Drawback is, it is individual to individual, as it could create a bruja with your accountant and the IRS if the money was supposed to go to a business. (I don't think business accounts can use PopMoney.) I'd never be part of an HOA, so I have no idea if it can be set up for such as that. The bank that has the HOA account would be the place to ask regarding that. If it can be set up for the HOA bank account, I don't know why it wouldn't work.

For business, there is PayPal, although there are fees involved there.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I use Cash App. My SIL works for Square, so he got me into it. You connect it to your bank account and there is no fee to receive money for a standard deposit into your bank account, which takes 1-3 days. You can get an immediate deposit, but that costs 1%. Sending money is free unless it is sent from a credit card, then there is a 3% fee. People can send money through a browser if they do not have the app. You can get a debit card for your account if you want to use it for transactions like a Visa.

I have mine set to auto deposit into my account with a standard transfer. Works for me and the kids. You can buy and sell bitcoin if that's your thing as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Most - or many, anyway - banks use a service called Zelle. Transfers direct from account to account. I use that one frequently. Though PayPal is a good option as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,841 Posts
I've only ever used PayPal. There are only fees if you set yourself up with a business account. Any two people can transfer money between personal accounts without any fees and you can link your PayPal to your bank account and transfer from your PayPal account to your bank with no fees. I use it any time I need to send my son or daughter money.

PayPal does have several changes in the pipeline right now though so some of that may change (or have changed very recently... I haven't used it in a month or two!).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Whats wrong with Dead Presidents?

No tracking by BB .

COD has always worked for me..I'm not a believer in plastic ,apps or PP though I have to use the PP for some stuff.

I never leave the house with less than a few crisp Hundred dolla bills.. thats just how I roll.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
My buddies and I use the venmo app to transfer money back and forth. There are no fees and no cost. PayPal started to give people a hard time about the amount of transfers they did and were holding their money hostage for weeks at a time while the person battled with them. We gave up on PayPal and only use Venmo.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
One neighbor, who I have plowed his driveway for at least 10 years, he has something set up with his bank and he enters the payment on line and his bank sends me a paper check. Takes 3 to 4 days from when he inputs it. I mentioned this to others as an option but apparently, its not "high tech enough" for some as they love using their "Peer to Peer Apps".
This, in my opinion, would be the best if you could talk your payees into doing it. AFAIK every bank and credit union has an online bill-pay service like this for their customers at no charge. I've used it for years to pay people and businesses and was the reason I quit using my own checks to pay bills, saves me a bunch in no checks or postage costs. I can pay someone once or as often as I want, or if it's a recurring charge I can set it up to automatically pay every month (or whatever time period I choose). If it's a business that they can do an electronic transfer to they will pay it that way, if that option is not available to them they will mail a paper check.

I've never used any of the pay apps mentioned but all banks and credit unions now also have their own apps for accessing your accounts on your phone and I would think you could do the bill pay thru that although I haven't tried it, I just prefer a computer. But I do use my bank's app on my phone to deposit checks that I receive and that works great.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the PayPal app for my business. I do have to pay a fee to accept credit cards, but it’s worth it to avoid late payments and the bounced check fees. I have found that if they bounce a check, the odds of getting reimbursement for the fees are slim. I am up front with customers and charge them the fee on the invoice.
Honesty is always the best policy. I often wondered if there is a problem with bad checks from customers, etc. to their service providers who work on their homes, etc. We had to buy a new water heater Friday and when the plumbers finished, they told Mrs. Bear they would send a bill. She asked the amount and they told her $1,600 and she confirmed it was exactly that amount and when they said it was, she wrote them a business check. She said they seem surprised someone was actually paying them instead of waiting to get the bill.......That's how we have always done it.

Whats wrong with Dead Presidents?

No tracking by BB .

COD has always worked for me..I'm not a believer in plastic ,apps or PP though I have to use the PP for some stuff.

I never leave the house with less than a few crisp Hundred dollar bills.. that's just how I roll.
If it were up to me, that's exactly how all payments to me would be. I always carry cash for all my purchases except the larger ones, which are paid by check. I would bet that at least 50% or more of those under the age of 35 don't have checks and don't carry cash. Some say they never have had checks and many really dislike cash. In fact, on the Good Morning thread saga, Little Green Machine was recently talking about how he doesn't like cash and really doesn't like change. That's how I feel about using APPS and not having cash.

I have always felt that using cash helps keep the amount being spent "more real" as you have to count out the money, verses simply using an app or swiping a card. So many people get into trouble with their plastic because it doesn't seem "real" where cash always has had that "reality" impact. Even on movies and the highly socially redeeming "Rap Videos", they use cash to demonstrate it's real worth.

For some reason, my DVR has started to record on VHI "Awsome videos" or some other nonsense. Today, some "rapper" had a Brinks truck with pallets of cash and he was throwing the simulated cash to demonstrate just how much of a moron he is. Of course, it had the big bottomed babes and luxury cars and all of the other trappings known to be vitial to the rapper lifestyle. I guess the entire video wouldn't have had the same impact if he was simply using an App to transfer money or a card to throw his money into the wind........The biggest surprise to me was that VH1 is still on the air and that anyone would watch Rapp video's......:laugh::lol:

I don't mind getting the checks or the checks from the person's banks which come in 3 or 4 days. I have read three stories recently where cities are passing laws requiring their businesses to accept cash because many business would prefer to not have cash transactions. Boy, how things have changed.

Here is just one of the news stories about how cities are making the businesses accept cash. Below is a story about Philadelphia, but another was about New York or one of the Burroughs.

Philadelphia bans cashless stores, pushing back on credit only trend

My buddies and I use the venmo app to transfer money back and forth. There are no fees and no cost. PayPal started to give people a hard time about the amount of transfers they did and were holding their money hostage for weeks at a time while the person battled with them. We gave up on PayPal and only use Venmo.
Doesn't Paypal now own Venmo? I saw the Venmo CEO on a business show recently and he was talking about how Venmo is a "Social experience as much as a financial transaction-al company and how the users of Venmo can avoid uncomfortable conversations with their friends about the money owed to them from previous bar visits, etc. He mentioned how the users would send a photo of a wine glass and a dollar sign and it would prompt the friend to realize they forgot to pay their buddy for the last rounds at the bar. It sure seemed to me like it is just easier to say "Hey, how about the $25 you owe me from the other night"?

Among the demographic group that likes to avoid cash, which are those who are largely under age 40, I can see how they would use such a plan as Venmo to settle their obligations. If they don't carry cash and they can't rely upon the person to pick up the next check or otherwise settle their financial differences, I guess a Venmo type program makes perfect sense.......

This, in my opinion, would be the best if you could talk your payees into doing it. AFAIK every bank and credit union has an online bill-pay service like this for their customers at no charge. I've used it for years to pay people and businesses and was the reason I quit using my own checks to pay bills, saves me a bunch in no checks or postage costs. I can pay someone once or as often as I want, or if it's a recurring charge I can set it up to automatically pay every month (or whatever time period I choose). If it's a business that they can do an electronic transfer to they will pay it that way, if that option is not available to them they will mail a paper check.

I've never used any of the pay apps mentioned but all banks and credit unions now also have their own apps for accessing your accounts on your phone and I would think you could do the bill pay thru that although I haven't tried it, I just prefer a computer. But I do use my bank's app on my phone to deposit checks that I receive and that works great.
I am going to ask most who don't have paper checks to make this arrangement for their HOA dues. They will have plenty of time. We only have two payments a year from the HOA members and several, like myself, just pay the amount in a lump sum to avoid hacing to produce another invoice and post another deposit. The prior board allowed people to either pay the HOA dues in a single sum or two equal sums and we have 65% who pay the single sum. It saves me having to produce another invoice and collect the payments and deposit them and produce another paid receipt, etc.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I do have a PayPal Account, but when I mentioned that to one who wants me to sign up with Venmo, she claimed that Paypal charges fees to send money to another paypal account. I told those who have asked to pay via an App I would pick one or two at the most and if there are any fees or costs to use the payment process, they would incur the fees for their convenience.
At the end of the day, there are two things here that I feel "I" have the right to a strong opinion on...

1) The consumer / customer / resident owes money - it is their responsibility to pay it. The transaction is required to be in US Currency (in this particular case) and the billing party holds no responsibility to make it "extra convenient" to the billed party to pay that bill. If the terms of payment have always been cash or check, there is no need to change because the billed party doesn't like cash or check.

2) Submitting payment with an app or process like PayPal is a CONVENIENCE. As such, someone will have to pay for that convenience, and it's ALWAYS the consumer. If they don't like the fee, tell them you'll cover it and raise the billed amount accordingly. This is how business operate to allow consumers to use credit cards for purchases. In the end, the consumer does not object to paying the fee - they object to KNOWING they are paying the fee. So, find a way to hide it from them and they'll be none the wise and all the happier.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
At the end of the day, there are two things here that I feel "I" have the right to a strong opinion on...

1) The consumer / customer / resident owes money - it is their responsibility to pay it. The transaction is required to be in US Currency (in this particular case) and the billing party holds no responsibility to make it "extra convenient" to the billed party to pay that bill. If the terms of payment have always been cash or check, there is no need to change because the billed party doesn't like cash or check.

2) Submitting payment with an app or process like PayPal is a CONVENIENCE. As such, someone will have to pay for that convenience, and it's ALWAYS the consumer. If they don't like the fee, tell them you'll cover it and raise the billed amount accordingly. This is how business operate to allow consumers to use credit cards for purchases. In the end, the consumer does not object to paying the fee - they object to KNOWING they are paying the fee. So, find a way to hide it from them and they'll be none the wise and all the happier.
I agree with all of this, with one caveat.
As to the fees on #2. With my business, I use Square. It costs me 2.5% per transaction.
The other options are cash and check. Now, with each of those, I have to make a trip to the bank to deposit them.
It is WELL worth the 2.5% to not have to drive to the bank. It is also worth something to have the transaction recorded automatically. My time is worth something, and as long as I see the value of the fee, there is zero reason for me to charge someone else that fee for my convenience.
I see no point in charging everyone more to cover (hide) the fee from some.
Some people do not see that as convenient, and thats fine.
I see it as an additional value that I offer that others do not because of the fees.

Lots of things in life are all about perspective, and everyone has a different one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I only carry enough cash to cover a basic meal in case there is a card issue. I don’t have paper checks. If you want quick payment from me you accept credit cards or use Apple Pay, or Cash app. Otherwise I will use my bank’s bill pay to have them mail you a check. It is my responsibility to make sure I pay you in a form you accept. But I also won’t choose to do business with you if you don’t accept a modern form of payment. The only real exception to this is if I’m doing a Craig’s List deal, then I use/accept only cash for safety.

I’d avoid PayPal like the plague. They are known for placing long/indefinite holds on people’s money for no reason. They also let people take their money back with little of a dispute process. I have been burned many times by this before I learned. Venmo tries to make stuff too social and that’s one thing I don’t want to be social.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I agree with all of this, with one caveat.
As to the fees on #2. With my business, I use Square. It costs me 2.5% per transaction.
The other options are cash and check. Now, with each of those, I have to make a trip to the bank to deposit them.
It is WELL worth the 2.5% to not have to drive to the bank. It is also worth something to have the transaction recorded automatically. My time is worth something, and as long as I see the value of the fee, there is zero reason for me to charge someone else that fee for my convenience.
I see no point in charging everyone more to cover (hide) the fee from some.
Some people do not see that as convenient, and thats fine.
I see it as an additional value that I offer that others do not because of the fees.

Lots of things in life are all about perspective, and everyone has a different one.
I agree with and support your view. When you make your decisions on what payment forms you will accept, you have to factor in the total cost of your doing business. Time = money, and you are seeing it from both perspectives. That works for you and it makes sense for you. That's what matters.

I agree about having records of payments, and I also make sure to document exactly what I'm "buying" when I use an electronic form of payment. That way, if the seller shorts me, I have the documentation right in the payment log of what I was agreeing to buy.

I only carry enough cash to cover a basic meal in case there is a card issue. I don’t have paper checks. If you want quick payment from me you accept credit cards or use Apple Pay, or Cash app. Otherwise I will use my bank’s bill pay to have them mail you a check. It is my responsibility to make sure I pay you in a form you accept. But I also won’t choose to do business with you if you don’t accept a modern form of payment. The only real exception to this is if I’m doing a Craig’s List deal, then I use/accept only cash for safety.

I’d avoid PayPal like the plague. They are known for placing long/indefinite holds on people’s money for no reason. They also let people take their money back with little of a dispute process. I have been burned many times by this before I learned. Venmo tries to make stuff too social and that’s one thing I don’t want to be social.
PayPal is horrid for sellers. Period. It's the most significant reason I do not sell on eBay.

As far as only doing business with only those that accept a modern form of payment - what's your definition of modern? Does it have to be Apple Pay / Google Pay? Or, is any form of accepting a credit card fine? Where does the line get drawn?

Do you ever choose to do business with someone that only deals in cash but also has a price that no one else can touch? There are a lot of variables that everyone has to consider. I, myself, carry very little cash even when I travel (unless it's a personal trip and I have a reason to carry a certain amount of cash with me). I probably should carry cash on those trips, but I don't. I rely 100% on credit cards and paying with my phone, and using something like CC's linked to apps.

·
Registered
581 Posts
PayPal is horrid for sellers. Period. It's the most significant reason I do not sell on eBay.

As far as only doing business with only those that accept a modern form of payment - what's your definition of modern? Does it have to be Apple Pay / Google Pay? Or, is any form of accepting a credit card fine? Where does the line get drawn?

Do you ever choose to do business with someone that only deals in cash but also has a price that no one else can touch? There are a lot of variables that everyone has to consider. I, myself, carry very little cash even when I travel (unless it's a personal trip and I have a reason to carry a certain amount of cash with me). I probably should carry cash on those trips, but I don't. I rely 100% on credit cards and paying with my phone, and using something like CC's linked to apps.
While I prefer the security of Apple Pay, I’m fine with using credit cards. Really the line gets drawn if I have to find/use an ATM or get a pen.

I’ve done business a few times in my life where I got a crazy discount for a large purchase for paying cash (like 25%). I don’t do that anymore. There are a couple reasons why:
* I’ve seen numerous cases at places I worked that a customer was offered such a discount and it turned out that the employee making that offer pocketed all the cash and the business didn’t realize it just did the work for free. Yes if you deal with the owner this isn’t an issue. But then again knowing who the owner is isn’t foolproof. I saw employees say they were the owner as well.
* This almost always means they won’t be reporting it to be properly taxed. I get that saves them a ton of money, but if everyone does this then we won’t have enough tax money to maintain stuff. Our infrastructure is bad enough as is. Part of it is just not wanting to help someone skirt taxes while I’m still paying mine.
* Getting large amounts of cash is a hassle. I’d have to make a trip to the one bank branch that exists anywhere near me. Sure I could use a bank that has a to. Of branches around but then I’d make like 0.015% interest on my accounts instead of 2.0%.
* I’m nervous that if I go to do a all cash deal for a large amount $10k+ that the other party may try to rob me for it instead. I’ve had someone put a gun on me for far less and I don’t want to risk it.
* I’m doing ok financially and don’t mind paying slightly more if it seems like it will be less effort for me.
* Time is money for me as well. If I have to spend 45 minutes driving to a bank or ATM, does the savings justify it? Whatever your work hourly rate is, it’s like 2x that during my off time because time is precious. Or at least that’s what it takes for me to be motivated to do side work.

2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
No, no responsibility to make it convenient. No need to change the old terms.

But...if payment is convenient, you are more likely to get paid in a more timely manner.
And convenient to the customer also often translates to being convenient to the billing party.
And if doing business with you is inconvenient, the customer has every right to take their business elsewhere. To someone with whom doing business is convenient.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As the people who I plow and mow, etc. for in the neighborhood are running out of paper checks, several have decided to not order more checks and have asked me about accepting payments via such "apps" as Venmo, Google Pay, etc. Also, I should mention that not only is this an issue for me personally, but as the treasurer of our HOA, I have also had the issue come up for those who want to pay their dues via these apps.

We have always just gotten checks from each resident but the times, they are a changing, and now some don't have checks. Simplicity, low fees are paramount in both situations, my personal and for the HOA. The HOA is either one or two payments a year where the personal ones would be monthly or more often.

I don't have any Apple products so Apple Pay is out.

I read about the different Pay person to person Apps and there is good and bad. Frankly, I would just prefer good old fashioned Benjamins but that requires making a personal visit to receive the money, although one did leave $1,100 in cash in my mailbox in an envelope.......and sent me a text telling me they had done so, which was ironic as I was home at the time and they didn't come to the door......:dunno: (too lazy to get out of the car, I think)

When I read about these different "Apps" I read positive and negatives. Personally, I do very little paying with anything but either checks or cash. We haven't had a credit card in at least 15 years. Simply don't use them or like them.

Frankly, looking at the options gives me a headache and I have 20 million other things to be doing so I thought I would ask my GTT family for their suggestions. Just to give you a range of the amounts which would be paid, it's typically between $300 to $1,200, depending upon what's been done in that billing cycle.

I know that recently someone (I think it was Little Green Machine) commented about how he dislikes cash and hates change and doesn't like bothering with it. That's how I feel about the APPs and electronic payment methods to some degree.

Here are my questions and concerns about the use of the APPS;

1. Want it to be secure and safe and I read a lot of security issues with Venmo and some others. In fact, I think Venmo will only allow you to keep a limited balance in your account as that is all they will cover in the event of a loss (seems like it was $1,900)

2. I don't want to pay any fees or if there are, the person paying with the source will incur the fees.

3. What do I do with the money once its in the APP? I see many charge to transfer to your bank account under various situations and in different time frames.

4. If I am going to accept payment with one of these, I want one which is useful to me to make purchases with the money which goes into the personal account so It needs to be something accepted by regular merchants (grocery store, hardware, gas station, etc). The app for the HOA would end up with the money going into the bank account at some point.
Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated. The simpler, the better.............Thanks for the replies.:bigthumb:
Bank bill pay is what it is when the persons bank mails you a check. I use this to pay my bills. Still keep paper checks though.
PayPal is a good app for payments being using it for years and can pay peer to peer , on line purchasing and ect

1 - 17 of 17 Posts