Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been kicking around the idea for awhile about the best way to manage my garden hoses. With all the grading work I have done over the last few months it's been imperative that I get enough water on the sod and seeded areas. I only have a single spigot on the back of my home which requires me to run 100'-150' of hose to the back of the property to water everything. I found myself hand coiling the hose into one of my flower beds or leaving it lying in the lawn even after finishing. Since I run 3/4" anti kink garden hoses for additional flow I found that many reels are not big enough to hold this amount of hose let alone a heavy duty anti kink hose.

After plenty of research and trying to find other manufacturers and vendors and commercial distributors I still found that the best move to make for my situation was an Eley Garden Hose Reel with the Extra Capacity kit. It comes 3/4" flow capable however they didn't have 3/4" inlet hoses in stock so I'll just get my own from a local joint. What really sold me was the reviews in many places and that very enticing 10yr warranty.

https://www.eleyhosereels.com/collections/garden-hose-reels/products/portable-garden-hose-reel-cart

This is another one of those things where I hope my wife never goods the name or model number and finds out the true price. :nunu: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Buy once, cry once, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,801 Posts
They sure have been advertising heavily the last few weeks!

Curious to hear your review after you use it some.

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
So I've been kicking around the idea for awhile about the best way to manage my garden hoses. With all the grading work I have done over the last few months it's been imperative that I get enough water on the sod and seeded areas. I only have a single spigot on the back of my home which requires me to run 100'-150' of hose to the back of the property to water everything. I found myself hand coiling the hose into one of my flower beds or leaving it lying in the lawn even after finishing. Since I run 3/4" anti kink garden hoses for additional flow I found that many reels are not big enough to hold this amount of hose let alone a heavy duty anti kink hose.

After plenty of research and trying to find other manufacturers and vendors and commercial distributors I still found that the best move to make for my situation was an Eley Garden Hose Reel with the Extra Capacity kit. It comes 3/4" flow capable however they didn't have 3/4" inlet hoses in stock so I'll just get my own from a local joint. What really sold me was the reviews in many places and that very enticing 10yr warranty.

https://www.eleyhosereels.com/collections/garden-hose-reels/products/portable-garden-hose-reel-cart

This is another one of those things where I hope my wife never goods the name or model number and finds out the true price. :nunu: :laugh:
I really like it, but like you said, my wife would kill me if she knew how much they cost. :lol: She would say "I can buy a lot of hose reels at yard sales for $250" problem is, most of them leak or are just junk. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Ive been looking for a couple good hose reels. Trouble I find is that the center drum is more suited to an air hose (small diameter) than a garden hose.
The hose ends up being flatter on the smaller diameter reels, and that limits flow. These look like they are similar.

Mine are for around the house, 2-3, 100' hose on each, but Im REALLY tired of the Suncast type and other plastic ones that last a few seasons, then something breaks and you have to get a new one. My Grandpa had several that were a light duty steel that outlasted these by a long shot.

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I wish they would make the handles on these just a wee bit taller, especially on the 2-wheeled version. Once tipped back the handle height is a bit short if you are over 5 feet tall.

·
Registered
913 Posts
For about $100 less, I bought this Liberty Hose Reel on Amazon a couple of years ago. I keep 300 feet of hose on it. Easy to move from place to place, and easy topull out and re-roll the hose.

hosereel.jpg

·
Old Pa-pa
12,145 Posts
The last one I bought about 5 years ago was $60, plastic, with a self spooling hose guide, but the input fitting and
rotating sleeve and inner hose hookup are metal.
2 easy to replace rotating o-ring seals.

Have about 175' of 3/4" hose on it, inner drum about 4 - 5 inches.

Made my own rolling cart for it with 8" solid rubber tires (about $25 each).

Bought it at Lowes, so far just had to replace O-rings once.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts
The last one I bought about 5 years ago was $60, plastic, with a self spooling hose guide, but the input fitting and
rotating sleeve and inner hose hookup are metal.
2 easy to replace rotating o-ring seals.

Have about 175' of 3/4" hose on it, inner drum about 4 - 5 inches.

Made my own rolling cart for it with 8" solid rubber tires (about $25 each).

Bought it at Lowes, so far just had to replace O-rings once.
With all the rain you get down there you probably only use it once a year.

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
12,145 Posts
With all the rain you get down there you probably only use it once a year.
Well ya see, unlike some *people* here, I wash my truck, the car and the Deere fairly regularly..........Just saying. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Well ya see, unlike some *people* here, I wash my truck, the car and the Deere fairly regularly..........Just saying. :laugh:
Why his Ford pick up is one of them new liberated all natural models ya see. :lol:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
We have an Eley Hose Reel here at work. Love it. Best reel I’ve ever used. Buy once and that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
913 Posts
Another option would be to rent a Ditch Witch for half a day (maybe $150), buy PVC pipe and connectors and a frost free yard hydrant, and run a permanent. line.the 150 feet to the back of your property.

But I guess where you're located, you'd need to bury the pipe pretty deep, or make sure the line is drained for winter. Where I am a 10 inch bury is all that's required.

I ran pipe to two hydrants out to tfrom my well, about 150 feet for one, and 300 feet for the other. They sure make life a lot easier. I still use the hose reel I posted about earlier, but rarely..

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
One of my favorite things about this forum is discovering neat stuff like this. Never knew of such a thing.

I am all for buying something for life now - have really come to appreciate quality equipment and gear.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,364 Posts
Guess now we know that you leave your truck, car and the Deere outside for mother nature to do the washing for you. No worries, I do too except the tractor. It's under roof 99.9% of the time. :mocking:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
One of my favorite things about this forum is discovering neat stuff like this. Never knew of such a thing.

I am all for buying something for life now - have really come to appreciate quality equipment and gear.
Its both one of my favorite and least favorite things at the same time about this site.

I find cool stuff that I didnt know about, then I have to go buy it.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
They sure have been advertising heavily the last few weeks!

Curious to hear your review after you use it some.
Once it gets here I'll put it through its paces and give some feedback.

I really like it, but like you said, my wife would kill me if she knew how much they cost. :lol: She would say "I can buy a lot of hose reels at yard sales for $250" problem is, most of them leak or are just junk. :banghead:
Ain't that the truth. Each one I looked at locally was only capable of 5/8" otherwise it would be restricting and then what's the point. Since I have lower pressure and flow I really need the additional size hose to compensate. My wife would NEVER understand the hose reel. Tractor yes, reel, no.

Ive been looking for a couple good hose reels. Trouble I find is that the center drum is more suited to an air hose (small diameter) than a garden hose.
The hose ends up being flatter on the smaller diameter reels, and that limits flow. These look like they are similar.

Mine are for around the house, 2-3, 100' hose on each, but Im REALLY tired of the Suncast type and other plastic ones that last a few seasons, then something breaks and you have to get a new one. My Grandpa had several that were a light duty steel that outlasted these by a long shot.
I grew up using the plastic ones my Dad bought in the 90's. Wall mount and ground standing, they never liked to hold more than 50', they were flimsy, I broke multiple plastic winding handles.

I wish they would make the handles on these just a wee bit taller, especially on the 2-wheeled version. Once tipped back the handle height is a bit short if you are over 5 feet tall.
That's a concern I have actually. I'm 6' 2" so despite the long reach I am tall. I run into a similar issue with weedwhackers with curved shafts instead of the straight one, I find myself hunching over.

I need to start washing my truck. Was 4 months since the last time I did it and I justified bringing it to my detail shop since the insurance company owed me a redo on my ceramic coating due to an accident....just so happens you need to clean the truck to ensure the finish is good :thumbup1gif:

We have an Eley Hose Reel here at work. Love it. Best reel I’ve ever used. Buy once and that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Awesome to hear J3!

Another option would be to rent a Ditch Witch for half a day (maybe $150), buy PVC pipe and connectors and a frost free yard hydrant, and run a permanent. line.the 150 feet to the back of your property.

But I guess where you're located, you'd need to bury the pipe pretty deep, or make sure the line is drained for winter. Where I am a 10 inch bury is all that's required.

I ran pipe to two hydrants out to tfrom my well, about 150 feet for one, and 300 feet for the other. They sure make life a lot easier. I still use the hose reel I posted about earlier, but rarely..
So I have a underground tube the previous owner through in. I'm fairly certain it's only 6" deep and it's cracked in at least one spot. It's also only 1/2" so at 125' my volume is pretty bad. When I do the same thing with my 3/4" hose I'm definitely flowing more. If I was keeping the house then it would be worth the challenge to do what you described. I have to contend with a ton of surface roots due to a tree 25' out of my back door.

Same here coaltrain. It's cool learning about how many different things are out there and that were designed as a result of someone that had a similar headache once before. I have certainly purchased some one job only tools over the last few years, however I do honestly try to buy tools that will have multifunction....it's easier to swallow the price then.

Its both one of my favorite and least favorite things at the same time about this site.

I find cool stuff that I didnt know about, then I have to go buy it.
It gets expensive but man it beats mother f-ing every single project because of a hack that someone else did or because of a really poor design. Working smarter sometimes comes with a steeper price but my wife would prefer to not here me gripe the entire time :laugh:

For example my linesman pliers went MIA after a few projects...that turned into looking for new ones...oooo Klein, or Knipex, or Channelock,....oh my stop at the basic ones...should probably get the journeyman models that are also rated for ACSR use...needless to say I have an entire new set of pliers instead of my 20yr old craftsman hand me downs that are severely worn.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BTW before I purchased my Eley I stumbled upon Cox Reels as well. They have a ton of models and you can get custom made units my checking off boxes.

1125 Series | Coxreels

I submitted a quote to them just for hahas to see how steep heir prices were for such serious craftsmanship.

Quote was for the 1125 with a 200' 3/4" capacity wheels, locking pin to stop the payout, hose strain relief and recoiling guide. In the end that reel was going to cost around $650 without tax or shipping.

I stewed on that for a couple weeks and then after I added the other 50' hose to my already existent 100' hose, and hand coiled them a few times, I knew i was time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts