Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with Android smart phones, what app are you using with your phone?
I have had my smart phone for about a year. I have 7 email accounts, but only used the Gmail account on the phone.
I am getting more comfortable with the phone. I made my first online purchase with the phone last week while I was on a job site.
I am now wanting to get access to all of the email accounts on the phone, but I am unsure of the email app to use.

Another question is on my desk top & notebook computers. I have been using Thunderbird for all of my email accounts. I have been notified that 3 of my email accounts will no longer work with Thunderbird after March 31 because of security issues. This is one of the things that has led me to setting up the accounts on my phone.

I used Microsoft Outlook for several years, but after having many problems with it I went to Thunderbird.
I have been using Thunderbird trouble free for several years. I never had any issues of moving all of my email from one computer to another, when getting a new computer.
My email providers want to use a web browser to access the email from their sites.

My question is, with Thunderbird, all of the emails were automatically downloaded to my computer. I am not sure how to download email from web based emails to my computer.
How do I do this? I do not need to download them all, just the important ones.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yahoo has gone the same way with not allowing 3rd party programs to access mail. They have their own app which I have downloaded but haven't had an issue with the iPhone mail app "yet"

I know that Gmail also has their own mail app which works nicely. I can't comment on what apps there are for andriod as I am not on that platform. Without having a specific app for each email provider, you might have an issue finding one that will handle them all at once.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
"I have 7 email accounts...."

WHA !!??!!?!?? I think this deserves an explanation....:unknown:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I use K9 mail, works ok with my 3 email accounts, one of them being Yahoo, one being an Office365 account.
I've used K9 as well on the Android devices I've had. Some of the setup is a little clunky, but it's very reliable and quite flexible.

I use a Mac, so all of my mail would be handled by the Mac Mail application that's part of the OS. I do have my accounts configured in there, but tend to just use the web browser access to Gmail instead. I use Outlook for my work mail, but have NEVER found it to be a good program for personal mail.

Have your mail providers explicitly stated they will no longer -allow- Thunderbird, or support Thunderbird? There is a difference.

Also, is it a particular version, or is it all versions?

You said they want you to use a web browser - why? Are they actually turning off SMTP, POP, and IMAP access to your mailbox altogether? I basically moved all of my personal mailboxes to Gmail years ago and have stuck with it. I do have one old email account with a regional ISP that basically never even check because it's nothing but SPAM.

Why are you looking to download mail messages to your computer? That's generally only useful if you need to read the messages while you're not connected to the Internet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
you can add all those accounts to GMail and have it all in one place......I've got an app published in the Google Play Store.......

from the mothership google herself.....

Import Email Accounts Into Gmail
Open Google Mail, click the wheel icon in top right and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
In your Gmail settings, go to the Accounts and Import tab.
Under the header Check mail using POP3 click Add a POP3 mail account you own.
Fill in your email address and click Next Step.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Something to consider here as well...

Log in to a Gmail account with a web browser. On the upper right corner of the page is a Gear icon. Click that and choose Settings. In the resulting page click Accounts and Import. Cilck "Add a mail account" on the right of the "fourth row". Add credential and server information for your other accounts so that your Gmail account can poll and import mail from those mailboxes into Gmail. Be sure that those accounts show up as options to "Send mail as", and then be certain that "Reply using the same address..." is selected.

This will allow you to use the native Gmail application on your Android device while still supporting all of those other mailboxes and non-Gmail addresses.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Something to consider here as well...

Log in to a Gmail account with a web browser. On the upper right corner of the page is a Gear icon. Click that and choose Settings. In the resulting page click Accounts and Import. Cilck "Add a mail account" on the right of the "fourth row". Add credential and server information for your other accounts so that your Gmail account can poll and import mail from those mailboxes into Gmail. Be sure that those accounts show up as options to "Send mail as", and then be certain that "Reply using the same address..." is selected.

This will allow you to use the native Gmail application on your Android device while still supporting all of those other mailboxes and non-Gmail addresses.
This is good information , but if he is being told what email client he can and can't use, there may be concerns with pulling mail ovet to the Gmail account . There may be restrictions on such things If this is being driven by his employer.

Just something to consider before doing it.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
This is good information , but if he is being told what email client he can and can't use, there may be concerns with pulling mail ovet to the Gmail account . There may be restrictions on such things If this is being driven by his employer.

Just something to consider before doing it.
Understood and valid. But here are some key phrases that I focused on that suggest to me it's -not- work-related:

"I have been notified that 3 of my email accounts will no longer work with Thunderbird after March 31 because of security issues." (nothing about it being work email)

"I used Microsoft Outlook for several years, but after having many problems with it I went to Thunderbird." (Companies that "support" Outlook will generally have an Exchange server and seldom allow POP/IMAP access to the mailboxes - so Thunderbird would never work in the first place)

"My email providers want to use a web browser to access the email from their sites." (Again, seems to be pointing at personal mail)

Still, there may be reasons that the Gmail "client" won't be able to access these either, and I asked about specifics behind the access being blocked in the first place. If the provider is simply shutting down POP/IMAP access, then NO third-party client is going to work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep....sound like personal email addresses to me if he's got 7 of them......lol......

do what I said and import them all into GMail.....

2 of us have posted the steps necessary to make it happen.....

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I use the gmail app on Android for all the email accounts that I have. I use Thunderbird on my PC for the same email accounts, but have not had any such notice about them. Here is a thought.... If you are not able to utilize these apps for any of these email accounts, go into the account using your web browser and set up mail forwarding to your main account. That way, you will get the emails when they are received at the account, but you will see them in your main account.

Dave

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I use the gmail app on Android for all the email accounts that I have. I use Thunderbird on my PC for the same email accounts, but have not had any such notice about them. Here is a thought.... If you are not able to utilize these apps for any of these email accounts, go into the account using your web browser and set up mail forwarding to your main account. That way, you will get the emails when they are received at the account, but you will see them in your main account.

Dave
Not all mail providers will offer / support that, but it could be an option. The one downside is that mail forwarded from ChrisR's email address "A" to email address "B" could appear to originate from address "A" and not from the original sender. Another problem would be that, even if the first issue isn't present, responses to the emails would come from address "B" and could confuse the person sending the mail in the first place.

I'd really like to know more about EXACTLY what's being shut down. Is it that the provider is moving away from User/Pass and to something like OAUTH2, which I know wasn't supported by TB a while back?

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all of the replies. There is a lot of thing to think about. They are saying I need to be using Oauth2 protected email program.

Why do I have 7 email accounts? Because Thunderbird made it easy to have several accounts.
It is very nice to be able to use the accounts for different purposes. I have business accounts, junk accounts & family accounts.
I use all of the accounts, but I do not need all of the accounts, but it had not been a problem until now.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
One thing that I don't believe you said is how many of the email accounts you're using in Thunderbird are Gmail accounts. And, whether or not you're having any issues with the Gmail-based accounts in Thunderbird.

Gmail basically killed off the non-OAuth2 stuff a little while ago (you can still circumvent if you really need to). But, it sounds like these other providers aren't going to provide an "out" like that for you.

Still, Thunderbird supports OAuth2 in at least some of its forms, and this article might just get you through being able to still use it:

Fix Thunderbird won't let you sign in to Gmail - gHacks Tech News

1 - 17 of 17 Posts