Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the actual weight of an empty 1 series ballast box? I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
Does anyone know the actual weight of an empty 1 series ballast box? I haven't been able to find that anywhere.
The box alone weighs 88 lbs and the extension (if used) is 30 lbs.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
588 Posts
CALCULATED BALLAST
kg (lb)

SAND (Dry)
CONCRETE

Ballast Box without Extension

Volume: 0.14 cu m (4.94 cu ft) (0.18 cu yd)

Material
217.5 (480)
315.5 (695)

Empty Box
58.5 (129)
58.5 (129)

Total Weight
276 (608)
374 (824)

Ballast Box with Extension

Volume: 0.17 cu m (6.00 cu ft) (0.23 cu yd)

Material
306.5 (676)
443.5 (977)

Empty Box
72.5 (160)
72.5 (160)

Total Weight
379 (835)
516 (1137)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ballast Box weight

I weighted mine on UPS scale at work and it was 144 lbs. Don't think the scale is off by that much! Anybody else weigh one?

Reactions: bob

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I weighted mine on UPS scale at work and it was 144 lbs. Don't think the scale is off by that much! Anybody else weigh one?
The freight company that delivered mine had it listed at 145 lbs.
If those are shipping weights, they probably include the weight of the pallet and any other packaging that may have been around it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ballast Box weight

Mine was just the box!

·
Registered
117 Posts
In the 130-145 range sounds about right. That thing is HEAVY and also awkwardly shaped, which makes it feel heavier.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whoo...heavy and awkward for sure!

In the 130-145 range sounds about right. That thing is HEAVY and also awkwardly shaped, which makes it feel heavier.
Phew...I'll vouch for heavy and awkward. I just had to take my ballast box back to the dealer because the paint was bubbling...only a month old. I lifted it off my garage floor into the bed of my pickup. I think one of my...one of my...one of my...(I think you know what I'm talking about) is still rolling around on the garage floor.:lol:

Then I used my head...and my FEL as well. When I got back with the new box, I ratchet strapped it into the FEL bucket to get the new one off the truck and back onto the garage floor.

BTW...I just put nine 50lb bags of all purpose sand...left sand in the plastic bag packaging to minimize mess...in box for a total weight included box of roughly 600lbs. $30 for sand at HD. Used the FEL yesterday to tidy up some top soil and compost. Bucket quite full many times, and ballast worked very well :thumbup1gif:.

Mike...thegriz

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
The information below is from a JD dealer material handling document ...

Ballast.jpg

Reactions: KE8LW and bob

·
Registered
768 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the JD ballast box with the extension?

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
The box alone weighs 88 lbs and the extension (if used) is 30 lbs.
The manual says 88# however I have done my share of research on the weight. I found that multiple people say there series one weighs empty around 145#. Well today I weighed mine on a deer butcher scale and it rolled in at 145# . The max weight a series one can lift is 680#. I will be adding 10 - 50# bags of quickrete (Portland) so I hope to be around the 650 mark.

·
Registered
448 Posts

145# according to my scale unlike the 88# the manual says.

·
Registered
448 Posts
IMG_0215.jpg weight ballast.JPG

Definitely not a calibrated scale by any means but it sure looks like the ballast box is weighing in around 145 pounds.

Sorry about sideways pictures I couldn't figure out how to rotate the view but I think you'll get the point....:banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts