Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here. I am getting ready to restore my grandpa's 1950 B, and would like suggestions for a make/model of enclosed trailer to take it to shows. Right now I have a half-ton GMC. Most aluminum car trailers do not accommodate the exhaust stack, I think around 9' tall. Any suggestions?

BKD

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
Welcome to GTT BKD!

I think you will be hard pressed to find and enclosed trailer it will fit in unless it's custom made, and you also might be pushing the limits of your 1/2t truck also.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Grab your tape measure and measure the muffler height again. I think you'll find it's more like SIX feet tall than nine feet. Unless you have a three foot long extension on it.

I'd worry more about the width of the rear axle bars. Tractor data shows a '47-'52 B is over 85 inches wide. Plus you'll need a front side door to get in and around to chain the tractor down.

With an enclosed trailer and a bare B, no added weights, a half ton truck will have it's hands full pulling that load except on pool table flat level roads. A 3/4 ton with 6.0L engine would be much better. Bigger brakes, radiators and coolers, tires.

·
Administrator
20,847 Posts
A B is definitely taller than 6'. My 60 barely clears the garage door with the stack removed and the rear tires not even installed.... Of course the 60 is the bigger brother to the 50, the B's replacement.

IMG_2599.jpg

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
hello, my jd model 50 just clears a 7 foot garage door, have to hold the door up to get steering wheel under and stack, homemade one, not factory. that's standing on the ground beside it to back it in. I don't believe u will find a factory enclosed trailer to haul ur jd -b in. I once hauled a early 40's spoked jd-b for my neighor to Cleveland tn. on my covered wagon, took stack and steering wheel off so it didn't stick out at truck stops on the way down, new owner was afraid somebody might try to steal it off my trailer, made it safely their. hope u the best luck.

·
Registered
754 Posts
A B is definitely taller than 6'. My 60 barely clears the garage door with the stack removed and the rear tires not even installed.... Of course the 60 is the bigger brother to the 50, the B's replacement.

View attachment 42314
The muffler on the '40 B Dad had was about head high to me and I'm 5 ft 10 inches. Then he put a 45 degree exhaust tip on it so it was maybe 6-1/4 ft.

Comparing a B to a 60 makes as much sense as comparing a B to my FARMALL M. Or one of my Cub Cadets!

Tractor data says the hood is 56 inches, which is shoulder high on me, just as I remember the old B. Is the muffler 1-1/3 feet tall? 16 inches? I bet it's close.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
If it needs to be covered, some kind of flatbed with good trucker tarps/tie-downs would be the hot ticket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts