Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first year blowing with my JD 260 w/ the 42" blower attachment I have about 150' of driveway to blow plus about 200' of sidewalk.
We live on a fairly busy road and I don't want to spend to much driving in the road. Anyone with a similar situation what is your preferred method to tackling the end of the driveway.

·
Registered
532 Posts
being visible to others is your number 1 defense.
I also live in a fairly busy street but also have a larger machine with a rear mounted blower. I have ROPs lights which are always on along with my flashers when near the road. I try to move out when there are no cars or very few.
Personally having a rear blower I always do the end of the driveway as well as a good portion on either side by facing oncoming traffic like a walker. This way I know what is coming and the most amount of light is facing oncoming traffic.

Take it slow and don't trust anyone to actually see you, especially in inclement weather.

·
Premium Member
13,666 Posts
There is no answer to your question that is written in stone. The only thing you can do is to be very cautious and as Jester mentioned, never assume that vehicles will see you. I have two amber strobes on my ROPS, flashers going and some very bright LED work lights and I'm still not confident that others will see me. Just be careful, use caution and watch for traffic when you are near the road.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Luckily my street isn't "too" busy, and there is dead space across the street, so once I get to the end I angle the blower straight forward and blow it across the road, of course ensuring there is no traffic coming first.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Luckily my street isn't "too" busy, and there is dead space across the street, so once I get to the end I angle the blower straight forward and blow it across the road, of course ensuring there is no traffic coming first.
In a lot of localities plowing or blowing snow across a public road can get you cited.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
In a lot of localities plowing or blowing snow across a public road can get you cited.
Good thing they don't worry about that here! :thumbup1gif:

In our development, residents end up doing 90% of the snow removal because the county will take a week to get to us.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hotel across the street has its driveway almost perfectly aligned with mine....they might not appreciate that to much:lol:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The hotel across the street has its driveway almost perfectly aligned with mine....they might not appreciate that to much:lol:
Yeah, probably not.
No hotels around here, love the "rural"ish lifestyle.
Like I said, we usually end up clearing our own streets.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Once you get through the windrow at the road, putting snow to one side of the tractor or the other, position yourself so that you are parallel to traffic and just work your way through the , blowing snow ahead of you to either side of the driveway. Turn the tractor around, and do the other side of the hole. I would also remove snow 10' - 15' upstream of the mouth of the driveway so that the street plow has room to dump its load of snow before it gets to your driveway.

BY working parallel to road, you are minimizing your exposure to traffic going by. You are also not depositing snow in the roadway for someone to plow through with their cars.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Strobe lights on all 4 sides of the tractor, also flashers on and headlights on. I also have a flashing backup light. The most dangerous time is when I am sideways in the road cleaning out the end of a driveway. I have a couple of traffic cones that I use when working near the road. They are important for me because west of my driveway entrance begins a steep hill and a curve. I don't want people to see me too late. They frequently take this curve too fast for conditions and end up in the ditch. Just place a cone down the road a ways in both directions to alert people that they need to slow down.

Our subdivision clears its own snow. In 20 years we've only seen one county snow plow and we think it must have been a new operator who was lost.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been thinking about getting a strobe light on the back. I can do electric, but not without a little guidance. Are there any write ups on here about rigging up a light to the existing light switch on something like a JD 260 GT?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts