·
Registered
12,424 Posts
It might be a stuck brake switch, what model do you have

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
Yes. The likely problems are mechanical or electrical. 🤣

Help us help you. How about a model number of what you are working with and a fuller explanation of what is going on.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
There’s 2 different diagrams based on serial number, but the one I looked at did have a brake switch. I have no idea where it’s located though.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
If the switch is good, how's the battery, it may start the engine, but the pto needs power to stay closed.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There’s 2 different diagrams based on serial number, but the one I looked at did have a brake switch. I have no idea where it’s located though.
Ok, thanks a bunch. This is where I'll check first. I've also been told the rider seat switch may be faulty, but the brake switch sounds more plausible.
If the switch is good, how's the battery, it may start the engine, but the pto needs power to stay closed.
I'm not sure how old the battery is, but I will check it first, Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
With the seat switch you couldn’t drive

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
This may be apples to oranges but I hsve a 61" bush hog brand mower that would run fine until I engaged the blades and it turned out to be the solenoid that turns on to operate the hydraulic pump for one set of blades. As soon as I engaged the mower, the engine would die.

I tried the various switches with no luck and carried it to the dealer. He took the solenoids wiring loose one at a time to eliminate the problem and found it that way. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,135 Posts
Could be the PTO clutch is also seized up and that's why the engine stalls when engaged. The last time you used the machine, did the mower operate normally and without any strange noises or grinding sounds?

This is what the PTO clutch looks like for your machine and its part number and cost to replace it.

Screenshot_2021-03-28 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

Is there something on top of the mower deck or underneath the mower deck stopping the blades from spinning, like something stuck in the belt or pulley assembly? Do the mower spindles turn by hand when the tractor is off and the mower belt tension is relieved?

Most likely, it's either the PTO clutch or something physically stopping the mower deck from turning. Whether that is a seized spindle bearing, something stuck in the mower deck belts and pulleys or something wedged under the deck stopping the blades from turning, you have to see what does turn and what doesn't to help find the culprit.

My money is on the PTO clutch on the machine, but it could also be a number of other things as I mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts