Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had an engine hoist that I didn't have a use for so I modified It with a 3 pt attachment so I can use my JD 455 to lift, move and relocate heavy items. I'd like to switch out the hand operated jack for a hydraulic system that I could run off the tractor. I have no real experience to draw from on this next step, any advice would be appreciated. Plant Mower Wood Walk-behind mower Grass

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,771 Posts
I'd be careful with the weight you can lift since that hoist will likely lift more than the 3-point can handle. It will also be higher and further out than most implements so you'll need good counter weight in the front.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very clever. I have an engine lift that I don't use a lot but when I do it is worth it's keep. Never lifted an engine with it and probably never will but it is handy for putting machines on pallets, loading heavy items into my van, etc. Just curious though, what does this mount do for you that the front hydraulics don't? In other words, why not just put a strap on the bucket or forks to lift something? With my forks close together I was able to lift a 700 lb gunsafe through my sliding door and set it down on plywood to roll it into position.

·
Super Moderator
6,818 Posts
Just curious though, what does this mount do for you that the front hydraulics don't? In other words, why not just put a strap on the bucket or forks to lift something?
You're assuming the OP has front hydraulics and a loader. He's got that lift rig on a garden tractor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd be careful with the weight you can lift since that hoist will likely lift more than the 3-point can handle. It will also be higher and further out than most implements so you'll need good counter weight in the front.
He could put a set of large caster wheels on it. Mount them so they touch the ground with the three point lowered, that way he could lift and move the heavy stuff with most of the weight off the tractor..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe I have 250lbs on the front of the tractor as I was running my tiller in the garden before this picture.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I have seen some jacked up red neck home built contraptions before, but I really like this one. Good idea Urus, I can see this as being very useful for someone without a loader.

Reactions: Urus
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.