Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:hi: Hello,

a friend of me wants to restore the engine of his 4010, but he can't find the engine number. In the JDPC he has found the declaration "early design" and "late design" for the crankshaft.
It would be nice, if some will explain me the differences and the production periods of the late and early design. Thanx

edit: I think, this is the wrong forum (I've only looked for 4010, not for the series) - maybe one of the mods can move this thread to right section, thanx again

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Is this an AG tractor (1960-1963) or Compact (2003-2005) ?

If an AG tractor they had Gas, LP, and Diesel engines. You need to narrow it down.

Also if AG, TxJim may have been working when these were made and might be of help.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:hi: first of all, thank you!

It's a New Generation Of Power tractor from the early 1960s. And in Europe only were Diesel tractors sold. We were not using LPG or Kerosene for engines. Kerosene only for plains and LPG is totally marginal.

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Looking JDparts.com; early crank is marked R26560 for diesel. It's NLA (No Longer Available), says sub RE63292. They also say to sub this crank P/N for late crank.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reactions: jd.rasentrac

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Looking JDparts.com; early crank is marked R26560 for diesel. It's NLA (No Longer Available), says sub RE63292. They also say to sub this crank P/N for late crank.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Zebrafive's post tells me that RE63292 subs for both early and late version. If he doesn't want to replace the crankshaft, there is probably a casting number some place on the original.

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Although you are probably correct JD parts doesn't confirm your statement. See photo below.
P/N AR26430 is the crank for gas or LP gas, not diesel (see the (A) in remarks and scroll to the bottom)

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Although you are probably correct JD parts doesn't confirm your statement. See photo below.
Contacting the dealer is probably good advice.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Thanks for correction. I'm struggling to get acquainted with JD's "new parts catalogs" & I'll add I don't like them!
Nor, do I.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Contacting the dealer is probably good advice.
Certainly Stefan, the owner, has to contact a dealer. But I fear, the dealer can't help him. Nobody knows, how much 4010 were sold in Germany. From the smaller brother, the 3010, only 143 tractors have been sold here in Germany.

But, where can we find the engine number plate? Or an other marker on the steel case or so?

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Certainly Stefan, the owner, has to contact a dealer. But I fear, the dealer can't help him. Nobody knows, how much 4010 were sold in Germany. From the smaller brother, the 3010, only 143 tractors have been sold here in Germany.

But, where can we find the engine number plate? Or an other marker on the steel case or so?
Wolfgang, I can't remember where the engine number is on the 4010. The later engines have a separate plate on the side of the block. If your friend has an operator's manual it should show where it is. It may be stamped on the side on a planed area near the front of the block, maybe near the generator.

I have a book that lists tractor serial numbers, but it doesn't show where they were shipped to. It does show that there wire 48,482 4010 diesels built, with 36,736 being row-crop tractors.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
The engine block should have casting # which should help ID it.
I didn't think of that, but there is sure to be one.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wolfgang, I can't remember where the engine number is on the 4010. The later engines have a separate plate on the side of the block. If your friend has an operator's manual it should show where it is. It may be stamped on the side on a planed area near the front of the block, maybe near the generator.

I have a book that lists tractor serial numbers, but it doesn't show where they were shipped to. It does show that there wire 48,482 4010 diesels built, with 36,736 being row-crop tractors.
Thank you, Don and Jim. I think, we'll find an other way - if we know, what must be restored. And I also have the "Mcmillan-List" but it gives no answer, what early and late design definitely means.

Please let me say one at last: your efforts showed me again, that GTT is a real great forum - thank you once again!

·
Registered
12,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Thanks for correction. I'm struggling to get acquainted with JD's "new parts catalogs" & I'll add I don't like them!
I still have access to the "old" parts catalog :greentractorride: even though it is supposed to go away 31 Oct 2018 :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Location engine serial number. You have to scroll down. Second picture AFTER narrow front wheel/tires pictures

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts