Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not what you were expecting,,,, The 20 hp mercury motor on my 1974,16 ft. fishing boat quit and was looking at $900 to $1000 in repairs ,,,started looking for brand new engine and found nothing is available ,anywhere because of the covid mess. While searching on the computer ,came across a engine repower video. A lot of guys are using briggs and stratton engines to repower 5 to 10 hp old outboards. Two videos were using 18 or 20 hp garden tractor engines.

I have done several engine swaps on trucks and garden tractors,that used different brands of engines than were originally installed.

The lx186 has a bad transaxle ,and a good kawasaki 17 hp engine, and I like a challenge of the mechanical variety.

Used 1/4 steel plate and 2x4 steel rectangular tube for adapter and a love joy coupling to hook up the drive shaft.

The boat goes about 1/2 the speed it used too ,due to the kawasaki only revving 3500 rpm's , but is fast enough to take the grand kids fishing .
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
very nice, and saved a ton of money too!

hate you lost speed...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.