Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a 165 with 38" blower for snow removal duty. The 12.5hp Kawasaki just doesn't seem to have sufficient power for the task so I'm swapping it out for the 17hp out of my 180. I removed the engine from the 180 last evening and will likely remove the engine from the 165 tonight.

Let me know if you need any pics or have questions as I do this swap.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Oh yeah, we need pics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the 12.5hp Kawasaki unhooked and removed from the 165 this weekend. The 17hp is bolted in but I still have to hook up the fuel line, electrical connections and PTO. Fun way to spend a Sunday.

The old girl before surgery

12.5hp Kawasaki Removal

17hp Kawasaki Bolted In

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You mean you are going to make me be a member of My Tractor Forum to see the larger versions of the pictures? :nunu::nunu: :banghead:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif: Now we're talking. Nice job. :thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Randy. I think I'm going to use the hood from the 180 because it's in better condition, although neither of them have any damage. I'm also going to swap the larger tires off the 180's rear wheels. Too bad I can't just swap wheels and tires whole.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 165 hydro has 1" axles while the 180's Peerless has 3/4", if I remember correctly. The axles are keyed and the wheels are held in place by a snap ring on both models.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finished connecting all the electricals and fuel line this weekend. Took a few tries to get her started but she runs like a champ! I'm going to have to replace one part that I never considered...the crankshaft diameter is bigger on the 17hp Kawasaki vs the 12.5hp and crankshaft pulley is larger on the hydro tractors vs the geared tractors. Sooooo...at the present time I have the smaller pulley on the hydro and I think that will definitely have a negative effect on forward speed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Received my pulley from a Deere 185 via Ebay today. Now to go home and install it. Moving right along. Now if we just had some snow...
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the pulley installed and she's good to go if and when we ever get snow. For anyone in the St. Louis are, I'm selling a Deere 180 project tractor FOR CHEAP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts