Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am in the market for a chipper and have a chance to pick up a used Wallenstein BX42. I was wondering if anyone on here is using this chipper with a 1026R? I realize I may not be able to go to the full 4in capacity with the horsepower of this tractor but I don't plan to go any bigger than 2-3 ins. If anyone has any insight or experience they could pass along I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
FWIW I have a BX42 that I run on my 2520 and it works like a champ. You should be fine.

Reactions: rtgt and BigJim55

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
I think you have enough HP, but I fear it's physical size may be to large.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I realize I may not be able to go to the full 4in capacity with the horsepower of this tractor but I don't plan to go any bigger than 2-3 ins.
Don't just focus on the size of material you plan to chip. A 3" limb with a hard crook in it can require a 6" chipper to handle, unless you plan to cut every piece off straight and smooth. Depending on what you're chipping, that can be time consuming.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A call to Wallenstein would not hurt. I still think that it would be fine. It only weighs 425 lbs.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1026 and a BX42. I was very impressed with the performance. I haven't taken out the tape measure, but it seems like I can go up to 6" without even a hiccup.

Softer woods, alders and young maples in my case, are fed easily with little effort. Harder woods (cedar for me) require you to help push them in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think that the feed opening is 4"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, and Dbone5803...that's the kind of feedback i was looking for. Sounds like you don't have any regrets in going with the BX42. If anyone else has a BX32 I'd be interested in hearing your comments on that one as well.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, found an unused BX42 in the local craigslist and about to snag it tomorrow. Been needing one to get rid of some old rotten, broken up crossties the rail company left on my property eons ago. Not to mention the brush that was cleaned out for the fence. Going to be a snakey mess, but I will pull it out if the stacks and make sure the scaley critters are gone before I start shredding.

Gonna be right at home with either the 1026R or the 3720. (except for being new holland blue. :yuck:)

:good2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chipper

I have rented one for my JD 2305. Worked great, though I did stall tractor twice while running it on 3" - 4" diameter logs.
When blades are sharp, they do suck the wood in fast and sometime a little to fast for my tractor to keep up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wallenstein Chipper BX52s

Folks

I just bought the newest Wallenstein BX52s Chipper for my 1026r and love it. I've chipped 150 ft3 of poplars (fresh cut and old dry stuff) with no issue. I've even jammed a few larger logs in that took some manoeuvring to get them in the 5" throat and the tractor did not choke at all. I was worried about the size of the chipper relative to the tractor but happy to report it is perfect. Glad I made the leap and ordered it.

All thumbs up here, except be careful and ask Wallenstein about compatibility with iMatch. They claim it is (but its not). I need to use a thin pin on the top for the hook to catch. They have told me it was a manufacturing error and that they will make it right, just waiting to see what they do.

Thanks
Shannon

·
Registered
148 Posts
Folks

I just bought the newest Wallenstein BX52s Chipper for my 1026r and love it. I've chipped 150 ft3 of poplars (fresh cut and old dry stuff) with no issue. I've even jammed a few larger logs in that took some manoeuvring to get them in the 5" throat and the tractor did not choke at all. I was worried about the size of the chipper relative to the tractor but happy to report it is perfect. Glad I made the leap and ordered it.

All thumbs up here, except be careful and ask Wallenstein about compatibility with iMatch. They claim it is (but its not). I need to use a thin pin on the top for the hook to catch. They have told me it was a manufacturing error and that they will make it right, just waiting to see what they do.

Thanks
Shannon
Do you still like it? anyupdates?
I'm trying to find a video with a 19hp pto using one

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
Well, found an unused BX42 in the local craigslist and about to snag it tomorrow. Been needing one to get rid of some old rotten, broken up crossties the rail company left on my property eons ago. Not to mention the brush that was cleaned out for the fence. Going to be a snakey mess, but I will pull it out if the stacks and make sure the scaley critters are gone before I start shredding.

Gonna be right at home with either the 1026R or the 3720. (except for being new holland blue. :yuck:)

:good2:
Railroad Ties?

I'd be careful chipping those.

They could be loaded with old gravel & tar and maybe a spike or two....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Folks

I just bought the newest Wallenstein BX52s Chipper for my 1026r and love it. .....
Did you get the BX52R model with the hydraulic feed?

·
Banned
419 Posts
Chipper

Railroad Ties?

I am afraid your out of luck with railroad ties. I would never put one in a chipper. As it states here they are loaded with grit and stone. But the other thing is every one has a metal ring or horse shoe like band in bedded in the ends to control splitting. At least the ones around here do. New ones have a metal plate pushed into the end much like truss plates. One hit with your knives and your done. CSX removed a bunch a few years ago and usually cut them in half to remove them and the machine pulls from each side out. The use to remove in full length. The company brought in a tub grinder mounted on a rail car and ground them that way. That machine chewed up the metal and all. I do not think your going to grind up more than two or three before you knives are shot if not destroyed. Your 20 hp tractor does not have enough butt to grind them. Green wood and brush is another thing totally different.

This is how you grind ties brute force and power http://www.ecoverse.net/application/railroad-ties?gclid=CL-dsILlgMsCFQUIaQodk3YDfw

·
Registered
407 Posts
Did you get the BX52R model with the hydraulic feed?
Doh! I see now from your post that it is the S model which is self-feeding.

I'm seriously ready to order this one for my 1025r.

Any comments before I take the plunge?

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Railroad Ties?

We had railroad ties we used on the farm that had a metal plate that ran the length of them.

For sure be careful running those through a chipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts
Doh! I see now from your post that it is the S model which is self-feeding.

I'm seriously ready to order this one for my 1025r.

Any comments before I take the plunge?
Where in Upstate NY? You could try my BX42.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
407 Posts
Where in Upstate NY? You could try my BX42.
I'm in the heart of the Catskill Mountains 25 miles west of Kingston.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts