Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys.
This comes up from time to time, and to me its one of the most annoying arguments Ive heard regarding Deere.
Its the old "the L or xxxx series Deeres sold at (insert favorite big box home improvement store here) are made by MTD (or Briggs and Stratton)" and arent the same quality as what you get from your dealer!"

Now, I know its BS, but what are the details?
I know TMo said in a different thread about the differences in location, and that they are made in a Deere plant in TN, but wondering if anyone here has been there.
On WFM some time back, a member there had been to the plant and saw them being made. I believe he even managed a picture or two.

I see people claim that MTD/Briggs has a plant in Tennessee and that because Deeres entry models have a TN origin, its GOT to be because MTD made them.

Anyway, just looking for real info from those who know so that when someone asks how I know, well, I have something other than "I just know."

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I had heard that the "Saber" line was a rebranded MTD line. That series did not last long, I believe it was a "big box store" line. I know the local Deere L&G dealer does the setup and warranty repairs of the ones Lowes sells locally.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
They also list:

Horicon, Wisconsin
- Lawn and garden equipment

Do they make both the E-series and X-series at both locations?

[h=2][/h]
I had always assumed that the "Lawn and garden equipment" meant non-tractor/mower equipment. Things like pressure washers. rototillers, walk behind snowblowers, edgers, etc...

AFAIK, all lawn/garden tractors and mowers are made in TN with the exception of reel mowers and some specialized golf equipment.

·
Registered
763 Posts
. . . I know the local Deere L&G dealer does the setup and warranty repairs of the ones Lowes sells locally.
I bought my light duty John Deere lawn tractor from Lowe’s in 2012, and its birthplace was Tennessee. It was set up by Heritage tractor, the same dealership I bought our 3025E and ZTM from. The Lowe’s mower even has a Heritage JD decal. Had I known back then what I know now, I would have bought the lawn tractor from the JD dealership. I may have even been able to get a better deal.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Deere’s Horicon Wisconsin plant builds the x300, X500 and X700 series tractors as well as Gators. They used to build the zero turn mowers but production of the zero turns was moved to Greenville TN a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
I had heard that the "Saber" line was a rebranded MTD line. That series did not last long, I believe it was a "big box store" line. I know the local Deere L&G dealer does the setup and warranty repairs of the ones Lowes sells locally.
The Sabre thing had a long history. Home Depot wanted their own brand of mowers and contracted Deere to build them for them under the "Sabre" brand. Deere built them under exclusive contract with Home Depot from 1995 to 2002. So HD had Sabre mowers to sell and Deere dealers had Deere mowers to sell. They were all built by Deere but Deere dealers had no obligation to service or do any warranty work on Sabre equipment. HD handled all of that.

Then HD decided they didn't want their own brand and Scott's needed someone to build mowers for them so Deere built them under the "Scott's by John Deere" moniker and Scott's sold them to HD and Sears in 2002-2003 Scott's took over responsibility for service and warranty work.

When Scott's decided to get out of the equipment business Deere was left with a factory and no one to build mowers for. So they came up with the L-series and sold those through the big boxes. If I remember right the L-series (2003-2005) 1XX/1XXc-series (2006) and LA-series (2007-2010) were only sold through the big box stores. The G-series (2003-2005) was sold through Deere dealers and the D-series (2011-2017) and E-series (2018- ) were sold by both dealers and the big box stores.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
To add to what has already been mentioned, only the residential zero turns are built in the Greenville, Tennessee plant along with the entry level John Deeres. The commercial zero turns are built in Horicon, Wisconsin along with all the X-series tractors and the Gators.

The original Scotts branded tractors were originally built by Murray, and then Scotts contracted Deere to make them. The Sabre and the Scotts brands were both built by Deere at the same time. I have brochures for both with the same year marked on them.

MTD has never, I repeat, never built a tractor or for that matter, anything for Deere, as of yet. Don't believe anyone who tells you differently.

One last thing, in the 90s, Honda contracted Deere to make lawn tractors for them and Honda put their engines on them. They were LX1XX tractors that were painted differently and may have a different looking grille, sorry I can't remember and I don't have any pictures of them. It's been awhile since I've seen a picture or any information about them, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on their appearance. A friend of mine had one come through his shop though a few years back.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
The Gators for years were assembled in Janesville, WI. I forget what road it was, but they were put together at a non-descript building and parked outside in a giant parking lot. You could see them from the road. JD has moved the gator assembly to Horicon now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Gators for years were assembled in Janesville, WI. I forget what road it was, but they were put together at a non-descript building and parked outside in a giant parking lot. You could see them from the road. JD has moved the gator assembly to Horicon now.
That would be hwy 11 and beloit ave on the south side of janesville. Building on the northwest corner next door to cummins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Some commercial z turns and stand ups are built in Fuquay Varina NC. Some Gators were/are being made in WI and also Canada. Compact tractor loaders and backhoes are made in Mexico. Smaller 5 series are made in India. Some 6 series are made in Germany. Current box store units are made in TN.
Your PIN plate with tell you where it was made.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
When Scott's decided to get out of the equipment business Deere was left with a factory and no one to build mowers for. So they came up with the L-series and sold those through the big boxes. If I remember right the L-series (2003-2005) 1XX/1XXc-series (2006) and LA-series (2007-2010) were only sold through the big box stores. The G-series (2003-2005) was sold through Deere dealers and the D-series (2011-2017) and E-series (2018- ) were sold by both dealers and the big box stores.
Just a minor correction on the bolded, the LA series were sold at both JD dealers and big box stores. I bought my LA135 from the JD dealer in 2010.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
That would be hwy 11 and beloit ave on the south side of janesville. Building on the northwest corner next door to cummins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Now the Gators are assembled in Horicon at the newly expanded plant on the west side of town. Thousands of of newly built Gators sitting on the lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Sabre Line Lawn tractors Until 2002 where Made On the John Deere STX frame The Yard & Garden Tractor Under the Sabre Line were Built On the GT275 Frame(G100 was also built on the GT275 frame But Not the G110 which was Built On the standard L100 series Frame except with Frame reinforcement In the Rear hitch plate) The Last Model Year of the Sabre Lawn Tractors were Made On the same Frame that Became the L100 series thru Current E100 series frames The same apply s for the Scott's By John Deere Tractors sold at Home depot Only thing MTD has every made for Deere to this Point Where Frontier Walk behind snow Blowers The Sabre Line was around From 1993 till 2002, BTW Deere even Made 1 Sears Craftsman Lawn tractor Based On the STX frame as well It Came In Polo Green Reason Deere Has Plant In TN is Because of the Purchase Of Homelite Products In the 1990's the Greeneville Plant is actually 1 or two Non Union JD Plants. The Original Name for the Sabre Before they went On the Market was Going to Be Deere-lite I personally have a 1999 Sabre 1524HS still running fine If You own a Black Deck John Deere STX Sabre Lawn Tractor Dozer Blades and snow thrower will fit On it. Because the Black Deck STX has the same Mounting Points. Also when The Sabre Line first Came out You could Buy it at Both Sears & Montgomery Wards The Garden & Yard Tractors Came out In the Sabre Line In 1995 The Hydrostatic Yard Tractors were Tiller Capable The Current Manual Lift sleeve Hitch(integral Hitch) for the X500 series is the same sleeve Hitch That was used On the Sabre Garden tractors . The sleeve Hitch(integral Hitch) would work On the Yard Tractors though Deere did Not recommend it. The Sleeve Hitch for the Scott's By JD Garden tractors at first was slightly different than the Sabre Garden tractors But Before the Scott's By JD Line went away they used the same Manual Lift sleeve Hitch(integral Hitch) on them as what the X500 uses today :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Here where the Utility thru Row crops was made a 6 Years ago Some Locations May Have Changed By Now and the Model Numbers are also different Now
5045D Pune, India
5055D Pune, India
5045E Pune, India
5055E Pune, India
5065E Pune, India
5075E Pune, India
5083E Augusta, GA
5093E Augusta, GA
5101E Augusta, GA
5065M Augusta, GA
5075M Augusta, GA
5085M Augusta, GA
5095M Augusta, GA
5105M Augusta, GA
6230 Mannheim, Germany
6330 Mannheim, Germany
6430 Mannheim, Germany
6100D Saltillo, Mexico
6115D Saltillo, Mexico
6130D Saltillo, Mexico
6140D Saltillo, Mexico
7130 Mannheim, Germany Regular version
7130 Waterloo, IA Premium Version
7230 Mannheim, Germany Regular version
7230 Waterloo, IA Premium Version
7330 Waterloo, IA Regular version
7330 Waterloo, IA Premium Version
7430 Waterloo, IA Premium Version
7530 Waterloo, IA Premium Version
7630 Waterloo, IA
7730 Waterloo, IA
7830 Waterloo, IA
7930 Waterloo, IA
8225R Waterloo, IA
8245R Waterloo, IA
8270R Waterloo, IA
8295R Waterloo, IA
8320R Waterloo, IA
8345R Waterloo, IA
8295RT Waterloo, IA
8320RT Waterloo, IA
8345RT Waterloo, IA
9230 Waterloo, IA
9330 Waterloo, IA
9430 Waterloo, IA
9530 Waterloo, IA
9630 Waterloo, IA
9430T Waterloo, IA
9530T Waterloo, IA
9630T Waterloo, IA
9430 Waterloo, IA Scraper Tractor
9530 Waterloo, IA Scraper Tractor
9630 Waterloo, IA Scraper Tractor
20A Italy
76F Italy
85F Italy
100F Italy
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
L130 (~2004) was purchased from local JD dealer

We purchased our first JD, an L130 from the local JD dealer (Northland Lawn, Sport ... in little Mason, WI near Ashland, WI). We purchased our 2032R about 11 years later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sergeant is the only one to get the Sabre/Scotts backstory 100% correct. Disregard all the other posts!

Some other trivia, for a short time in the early/mid 00's the JD Horicon Works in WI also built some L-Series mowers as Greeneville TN could not keep up. I believe only L110's and L118's and maybe a few of the next series models. In addition, the short lived G110 garden tractor was ONLY built by Horicon. You cannot tell from the serial number tag which were from Horicon. But the Horicon units technically have better paint (two layers of black vs one) and the 42" deck models will have the 54" deck model lift shafts that have two arms to mount lift assist springs versus the usual one arm on a 42/48" unit. Factory only wanted to stock one part. Deere soon shut down this assembly line as these cost significantly more to build at the union factory than in Greeneville, and Geeenevile expanded.

Today:
Greeneville TN, John Deere Power Products: E100's, Z3 ZTR, Z5 ZTR, baggers and some other attachment bundles. SN's start with GX

Horicon WI, John Deere Horicon Works: Gators (except ProGator), X3, X5, X7, stamps mower decks for itself and other JD factories. SN's start with M0

Fuquay-Varina NC, John Deere Turf Care: Z9 commercial ZTR, Golf & Turf machines, ProGator. SN's start with TC

Augusta GA, John Deere Augusta: 1,2,3,4,5E tractors. SN's start with LV

Mexico - all JD loaders

Some kind recent facilities that are no longer.
Welland Ontarion Canada (Welland Works) built Gators for years and all loaders for years. SN's start with W0

New factory in Williamsburg VA built a few Gators but was shut down and production moved back to Welland or Horicon very quickly. Stupid move by misguided president of the CCE division at the time. SN's start with VG (Vehicle Group). This caused the stagnation of Gator R&D and sadly a chance for competitors to get into the segment that JD basically created and owned. This was early 00's.

Knoxville TN built the 240/250/260/270 series of skid-steer loaders, but like Willamsburg was shut down and production moved to Dubque IA. SN's start with K.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Sergeant is the only one to get the Sabre/Scotts backstory 100% correct. Disregard all the other posts!

Some other trivia, for a short time in the early/mid 00's the JD Horicon Works in WI also built some L-Series mowers as Greeneville TN could not keep up. I believe only L110's and L118's and maybe a few of the next series models. In addition, the short lived G110 garden tractor was ONLY built by Horicon. You cannot tell from the serial number tag which were from Horicon. But the Horicon units technically have better paint (two layers of black vs one) and the 42" deck models will have the 54" deck model lift shafts that have two arms to mount lift assist springs versus the usual one arm on a 42/48" unit. Factory only wanted to stock one part. Deere soon shut down this assembly line as these cost significantly more to build at the union factory than in Greeneville, and Geeenevile expanded.

Today:
Greeneville TN, John Deere Power Products: E100's, Z3 ZTR, Z5 ZTR, baggers and some other attachment bundles. SN's start with GX

Horicon WI, John Deere Horicon Works: Gators (except ProGator), X3, X5, X7, stamps mower decks for itself and other JD factories. SN's start with M0

Fuquay-Varina NC, John Deere Turf Care: Z9 commercial ZTR, Golf & Turf machines, ProGator. SN's start with TC

Augusta GA, John Deere Augusta: 1,2,3,4,5E tractors. SN's start with LV

Mexico - all JD loaders

Some kind recent facilities that are no longer.
Welland Ontarion Canada (Welland Works) built Gators for years and all loaders for years. SN's start with W0

New factory in Williamsburg VA built a few Gators but was shut down and production moved back to Welland or Horicon very quickly. Stupid move by misguided president of the CCE division at the time. SN's start with VG (Vehicle Group). This caused the stagnation of Gator R&D and sadly a chance for competitors to get into the segment that JD basically created and owned. This was early 00's.

Knoxville TN built the 240/250/260/270 series of skid-steer loaders, but like Willamsburg was shut down and production moved to Dubque IA. SN's start with K.
Most gear Boxes for Mowing decks are Made In Spain

Many tiller components are Made In Italy

Deere tractors Made In China are for the Chinese Market & some portions of the southwest pacific excluding Australia :bigthumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
When Scott's decided to get out of the equipment business Deere was left with a factory and no one to build mowers for. So they came up with the L-series and sold those through the big boxes. If I remember right the L-series (2003-2005) 1XX/1XXc-series (2006) and LA-series (2007-2010) were only sold through the big box stores.
L series were also sold through Deere dealerships. I bought my L118 at my local Deere dealership in May 2005.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts