Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying, when you retired folk talk about every day being the weekend, shopping during the week instead of weekends, playing in your shop or yard any time you want, doing absolutely what you choose (almost), and so on, well I am slightly envious and impatient. Love my job, but would rather be elsewhere.

Ahhh, just one of those days. Thanks for hearing me out.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Retired life is great. I highly recommend it. The sooner you can retire, the longer you will live. I have been retired now for 8 years and life is great. Now I do what I want when I want and if I want. The definition of a successful retiree is a person who is so busy that they wonder when they ever had time to work!!!!

Dave

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
When you finally do retire, it takes a while to gear down, took me two years to realize you didn't have
to do everything at one time and work in a rush.
I'm probably operating in low range second or third now.:lol:

My advise to everyone is, when you're certain you can financially do it, do it, life is better.

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
Meh. I'll never get to truly 'know' what Retirement really is... My retirement will be the day they put me in a furnace and grind me up. Maybe some nice plants will enjoy what's left. :thumbup1gif:

But I do hope the people who get there get to truly enjoy it. :bigbeer:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
Meh. I'll never get to truly 'know' what Retirement really is... My retirement will be the day they put me in a furnace and grind me up. Maybe some nice plants will enjoy what's left.
Bet your nickname is "Mr. Sunshine" in the neighborhood. :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
Bet your nickname is "Mr. Sunshine" in the neighborhood. :lol: :lol:
More like "the crazy guy with all the tractors." :laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
I have the same idea as Jason. I have no desire to retire. God may change that at some time, but until then I will work.
Heck, you still work after retirement, but mostly at the stuff you like doing and at your own speed.
Mowing, leveling land, cutting trees, your own mechanic work, building stuff, etc, etc.
Those are my "fun" hobbies, some people have even said I don't know how to enjoy myself, but
that type of stuff makes me happy.

It's all about marching to the beat of your own little drum.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
When you finally do retire, it takes a while to gear down, took me two years to realize you didn't have

My advise to everyone is, when you're certain you can financially do it, do it, life is better.

No Rush. If you get it all done today, what are you going to do tomorrow???

Dave

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Heck, you still work after retirement, but mostly at the stuff you like doing and at your own speed.
Mowing, leveling land, cutting trees, your own mechanic work, building stuff, etc, etc.
Those are my "fun" hobbies, some people have even said I don't know how to enjoy myself, but

I enjoy all that also, but my wife has all kinds of jobs for me to do that involve work that I am not good at and don't like to do. Most of it involves carpenter work, which I cannot do and prefer to go to my regular job which I enjoy and honestly, I don't kill myself, but get the job done.

Gizmo taught me the highlighted part. :laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,743 Posts
I enjoy all that also, but my wife has all kinds of jobs for me to do that involve work that I am not good at and don't like to do. Most of it involves carpenter work, which I cannot do and prefer to go to my regular job which I enjoy and honestly, I don't kill myself, but get the job done.

Gizmo taught me the highlighted part. :laugh:
About the only thing I can't stand is painting inside the house, that's punish work to me.
When we had the house redone, paneling, all paneling.

Carpenter work ain't bad with the proper tools, radial arm saw, jig saws, Sawzall, nail guns, laser levels, stud finders, etc, etc.
Ya get to buy a bunch of fun tools and you can't have enough tools.:lol:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
God bless you guys, I hope I make it that far. I can't wait, I'm starting my 40th year of employment this spring and it's getting mighty old. 11 more years.....:banghead:

·
Registered
741 Posts

Retired life is great. I highly recommend it. The sooner you can retire, the longer you will live. I have been retired now for 8 years and life is great. Now I do what I want when I want and if I want. The definition of a successful retiree is a person who is so busy that they wonder when they ever had time to work!!!!

Dave
I've been retired for exactly 12 days now. I made the decision to retire last August so I've had plenty of time to adjust to the idea of retirement. After so many years of going to work every day, it does feel a little odd. A couple of times I felt guilty about not going to the office so I'm probably in that "gear down" mode as Old Cajun mentioned.

I happened to go to Home Depot during the middle of the afternoon yesterday and realized I was one of three shoppers. There was no need to jockey other one-ton pickup trucks for a parking place, there were plenty of employees to guide me to the correct isle and nobody in the check out line. I thought about the times I battled all of the other "weekend warriors" on busy Saturday mornings trying to squeeze projects into a 48 hour window. Silly, I know, but it was an awakening moment.

I also like Old Cajun's observation about doing what you want to do when you want to do it. For me, that's getting settled in our new home, sorting out my barn, spending more time with our family and doing volunteer work. Lastly, I fondly remember my father saying exactly what ddinham mentioned, "I'm so busy now I wonder how I ever found time to go to work".

Retirement: every night is a Friday night and every day is a Saturday

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,266 Posts
Can't say when it will happen, but my plans are to retire some time between November and January. I've been making regular visits with my financial adviser for the past 3 years.

The stars are lining up. :good2:

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
I've been retired for exactly 12 days now. I made the decision to retire last August so I've had plenty of time to adjust to the idea of retirement. After so many years of going to work every day, it does feel a little odd. A couple of times I felt guilty about not going to the office so I'm probably in that "gear down" mode as Old Cajun mentioned.

I happened to go to Home Depot during the middle of the afternoon yesterday and realized I was one of three shoppers. There was no need to jockey other one-ton pickup trucks for a parking place, there were plenty of employees to guide me to the correct isle and nobody in the check out line. I thought about the times I battled all of the other "weekend warriors" on busy Saturday mornings trying to squeeze projects into a 48 hour window. Silly, I know, but it was an awakening moment.

I also like Old Cajun's observation about doing what you want to do when you want to do it. For me, that's getting settled in our new home, sorting out my barn, spending more time with our family and doing volunteer work. Lastly, I fondly remember my father saying exactly what ddinham mentioned, "I'm so busy now I wonder how I ever found time to go to work".

Retirement: every night is a Friday night and every day is a Saturday
Ah your still on vacation mode, being only 12 days. After 5 weeks, it starts to sink in a little more. Will be 8 yrs this summer, I still do 5 to 10 hrs a week , delivery parts, gets me out of the house. In the summer months still have the daughter FIL , this summer or next summer our grandsons will be old enough and that they can do the weed eating and push mowing. I'll still come and do the riding because some areas at times I don't feel to comfortable. No way will I leave a 10-13 yr old mow those areas.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
No Rush. If you get it all done today, what are you going to do tomorrow???

Dave
Well, IF I win the PowerBall tomorrow night, I might retire, THEN the answer to your question would be.................

FLY!!!! :airplane:

·
Registered
196 Posts

Dave
Very true, I retired 9/30/15, still getting used to it:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
I retire every night.

Too bad I have to wake up in the morning.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha!! I knew there was a reason I was craving retirement this afternoon, all you guy talking like it's the best thing going, and I really do believe you!

Oh well, 7-1/2 years to go.............................................................................

1 - 20 of 107 Posts