Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to mowing today, been so dang busy finishing up projects.

I haven't used my MX6 mower in over a year and something just isn't right with the mower. It will easily bog down instead of shredding anything in its path. The ePTO light comes on and there's a slight drop in engine RPMs so all that seems normal. Unfortunately I don't have a non contact tach to measure the pto shaft speed. I've tried adding more RPMs but that makes no difference.

Any ideas from you guys with a similar setup?

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
I would never try to use ePTO what a heavy duty cutter like that, I thought is was for doing light duty tasks?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s worked before, even with the MX8. Im not sure how to engage the PTO manually, I haven’t noticed a lever anywhere for it. :dunno:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:hide:

I just checked the hydraulic fluid, nothing showing on the dipstick. Oops. The ePTO is a hydraulic clutch meaning.. .. ..

·
Registered
234 Posts
:hide:

I just checked the hydraulic fluid, nothing showing on the dipstick. Oops. The ePTO is a hydraulic clutch meaning.. .. ..
That could be a small clue. :oops:

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
191 Posts
It’s worked before, even with the MX8. Im not sure how to engage the PTO manually, I haven’t noticed a lever anywhere for it. :dunno:
I have an open station and the lever is on the right side down by the rockshaft lever. The ePTO is just a 2 speed output shaft, everything is exactly the same as a regular PTO except the output shaft has 2 gears and the tail shaft has 2 gears and the selector level physically engages one gear or the other. If you got the software update at the same time, your display should show you PTO rpm for both ePTO and PTO. On my Tractor 1900 rpm is 540 ePTO and 2600 rpm is 540 PTO

EDIT 4720 w/cab: The epto lever is outside the back window, on right side.
Long rod with yellow knob.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had a close look in that area for the lever and no joy. Maybe it's covered with dirt, I'll clean the area up and have another look. I haven't noticed my display showing any PTO speed when I cycle through, I need to spend more time in the manual.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I would never try to use ePTO what a heavy duty cutter like that, I thought is was for doing light duty tasks?
It depends on what you are trying to mow, whether HD or light duty. Small trees. heavy brush = HD, grass/weeds = LD.
That said, I want my next tractor to have ePTO

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just had a close look in that area for the lever and no joy. Maybe it's covered with dirt, I'll clean the area up and have another look. I haven't noticed my display showing any PTO speed when I cycle through, I need to spend more time in the manual.

Thanks for the help.

2010 ---4720

That post has a clear picture of the ePTO lever

Also the display may be a 4044R thing, it may not have been on the 4720

·
Registered
161 Posts
Time for me to ask a dumb question, what is a ePTO

·
Registered
191 Posts
Time for me to ask a dumb question, what is a ePTO
It stands for "Economy" PTO - It is the ability to use a second gear on the PTO output shaft such that 540 PTO rpm is reached at 1900 engine rpm instead of 2600ish. Therefore using less fuel and for me LESS NOISE. I typically run a rotary cutter at 1500 rpm roughly 420 PTO rpm and cut many acres and the tractor is very quiet

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used E PTO as the norm with an MX-8, even cutting tall heavy grass - never a problem.

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
191 Posts

Thanks for the help.
OK, after reading your reply in the thread I linked, I am going to go pretty far out on a limb here...mainly because I don't have a 4720 and I am using knowledge gained from the internet....but we know the internet is never wrong....

ePTO was a paid option on the 4720 - my guess is your tractor doesn't have the option

Your RPM for your engine has the "Tick" mark for ePTO because they all have them as Deere wouldn't make a second face for the upgrade
According to the dash panels I have seen there are 2 indicators for PTO - one is a light saying it is on, the other is illuminated when the display shows actual RPM for the PTO (On my tractor you cycle thru the readings with a button that looks like 3 windshield wipers)

If you don't have the ePTO then you can't be stuck in ePTO as the output shaft only has one set of gears for normal PTO, that means 2600ish Engine RPM is required for 540 PTO RPM - there is no permanent ePTO gear set - If you are running XXX rpm it is linear so for instance:

You are running 1800 rpm
Actual PTO = 1800/2600x540 = 374 actual PTO rpm - which is why you are probably bogging

If you had the ePTO upgrade, you should also have a computer modification such that when ePTO is engaged the engine will not rev over the ePTO max speed (Mine is 1900) to protect your implements

The bracket on the side of the gear case that that rod attaches to, is what physically engages either the ePTO or the PTO sets of gears and clicks a limit switch to let the computer know what mode you are in, if you don't have any of these items I am quite sure you don't have the option and are in normal PTO all the time.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ I think you are exactly correct ^^

My manual was zero help, I suppose Deere wants their dealers to be the comprehensive manual :nunu:.

I just checked the PTO and dash display - there's no PTO RPM indication with the PTO engaged and I can take the engine up to 2500 RPM. Conclusion - I have the plain old PTO which is fine with me. It's great to just pull a switch to engage it, on my Kubota it was a lever - not nearly as user-friendly.

Thanks everybody for the help - I learned something about my tractor today!

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solved!

All okay now! Hydraulic fluid was about three quarts low, a full gallon brought the level up to the full mark. I spun the mower at 2500 rpm and it whacks anything in its path :good2: .

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOT solved

Grrr... tried doing some mowing today and the same problem happened again. I’ll poke around the Internet to see if this problem has been reported anywhere else.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to the Green hospital

After checking with Dr. Google, it appears the problem is indeed with the pto clutch. Where exactly is an unknown, could be one of several things have croaked. Just talked to the service department at a local dealer and they said service is a little slow right now so I'm going to take the tractor to them Monday afternoon or Tuesday. It's time for a 500 or 600 hour service anyway and some other odds and ends. :gizmo:

Reactions: PaDave
1 - 17 of 17 Posts