Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to start a thread on funny mistakes we have all made repairing our equipment.

I didnt do this but a friend admitted he and his son made a funny mistake. He was tilling his garden when the tillers motor started acting up. He noticed the carb was loose and the gasket was damaged. His older son said “ no problem pop Ill make you a new gasket.” He replaced the gasket and they processed to try and start it for over an hour. My friend disgusted and nursing a growing blister on his hand quit and said tomorrow is another day. The next morning his son said “ hey pop I know what’s wrong with the tiller” when the son made the gasket he only made holes for the bolts and never cut out the center hole. After fixing the sons mistake the tiller fired right up!

Sometimes adult beverages and repairs dont mix well!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wanted to start a thread on funny mistakes we have all made repairing our equipment.

I didnt do this but a friend admitted he and his son made a funny mistake. He was tilling his garden when the tillers motor started acting up. He noticed the carb was loose and the gasket was damaged. His older son said “ no problem pop Ill make you a new gasket.” He replaced the gasket and they processed to try and start it for over an hour. My friend disgusted and nursing a growing blister on his hand quit and said tomorrow is another day. The next morning his son said “ hey pop I know what’s wrong with the tiller” when the son made the gasket he only made holes for the bolts and never cut out the center hole. After fixing the sons mistake the tiller fired right up!

Sometimes adult beverages and repairs dont mix well!
Excellent . . . lesson learned :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
536 Posts
My son and I were working an old dodge replacing some damaged wheel studs after dropping the car off of the jack

He worked the better part of the afternoon before asking for help . . . he learned about reverse threads on older dodges . . . no beer involved as he was 11 at the time :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Put a new starter relay in a Rhino. Nothing would work, no dash lights, no crank, nothing UNLESS you jumped the positive side and the starter output side.

It was in backwards. I had hooked the battery to the motor side, and the motor to the positive side. :lol:

Another time I had unhooked the spark plug on something and forgot to hook it back up. After 15 minutes of cranking and no start, I finally realized what i'd done.:dunno:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Put a new starter relay in a Rhino. Nothing would work, no dash lights, no crank, nothing UNLESS you jumped the positive side and the starter output side.

It was in backwards. I had hooked the battery to the motor side, and the motor to the positive side. :lol:

Another time I had unhooked the spark plug on something and forgot to hook it back up. After 15 minutes of cranking and no start, I finally realized what i'd done.:dunno:
I’ve done the spark plug thing many times. Unhook the spark plugs in the snowmobile in springtime. Then in the fall you are eager to fire it up. Pull that pull cord like a mofo, but nothing happens. You open the cowling and discover the unhooked spark plugs. Hook them back up, yank on the cord. Guess what happens next? Kabooom! All that fuel you just loaded into the cylinders finally gets its spark!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I had a 78 Jeep CJ-5 that had developed a strong lifter tick after I owned it a few years (bought new).
I went ahead and sent the head out for a light valve job and was in the process of reassembling the engine after changing lifters and had the carb off and the valve cover and I think I was setting the rockers.
I bumped the starter a couple times to get TDC on various cylinders and the last time I tried that fuel started gushing out of the open fuel line and shot straight down the intake. Motor fired up and raced to at least 4k before I killed it.
I was really surprised!

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I had a 78 Jeep CJ-5 that had developed a strong lifter tick after I owned it a few years (bought new).
I went ahead and sent the head out for a light valve job and was in the process of reassembling the engine after changing lifters and had the carb off and the valve cover and I think I was setting the rockers.
I bumped the starter a couple times to get TDC on various cylinders and the last time I tried that fuel started gushing out of the open fuel line and shot straight down the intake. Motor fired up and raced to at least 4k before I killed it.
I was really surprised!
I had a 79 that I completely rebuild when I was a punk teenager. I could not get the front brakes to bleed for crap, tried manually, tried a pressurizuring cap and still squishy brakes. Ended up the calpilers are almost the same and will bolt up but if you switch sides the bleeder is not on the top. Guess what I always check now.:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Years ago, I was changing valve stem seals on the cylinder head of my Honda CRX. I was using an air compressor to put air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole in order to pressurize the cylinder and keep the valves in place while I removed the keepers. In the middle of all this, the compressor kicked on and the garage circuit breaker tripped. No big deal, I just needed to go to the breaker box and reset it. For some reason, I turned around and thought I'd better disconnect the compressor air hose first. Psssshhhht....<tink> With pressure released, the valve dropped into the cylinder. So I had to remove the cylinder head in order to reinstall that valve.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of mine is when charging my tractor battery I must have been doing a self colon exam with my head up my tail pipe and hooked the battery charger up backwards. Put the charger on high and got involved in something else. When I returned the battery was not happy and was ready to let go but thankfully didn’t. A new battery and an acid clean up and life moved on.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
I’ve done the spark plug thing many times. Unhook the spark plugs in the snowmobile in springtime. Then in the fall you are eager to fire it up. Pull that pull cord like a mofo, but nothing happens. You open the cowling and discover the unhooked spark plugs. Hook them back up, yank on the cord. Guess what happens next? Kabooom! All that fuel you just loaded into the cylinders finally gets its spark!
I did a similar thing with a snowmobile, the end result was about 1 cup of gas in the exhaust pipe. :banghead:

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
My son and I were working an old dodge replacing some damaged wheel studs after dropping the car off of the jack

He worked the better part of the afternoon before asking for help . . . he learned about reverse threads on older dodges . . . no beer involved as he was 11 at the time :lol:
I wasn’t 11 - maybe more like 31 - when I had my old Dodge Power Wagon for a plow truck. Needed to take a wheel off to fix a flat. I bet I fought with those lug nuts for 2 hours before I gave up. Then a couple days later when I mentioned my troubles at the local tavern the old guys helped me out.

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
Am I the only one who's ever forgot to put the plug back in the pan doing an oil change.
I was changing the oil in my truck one day at the barracks when I was in the Marines, a few friends were there shooting the bull (and yes drinking). Wouldn't have been so bad but the parking lot sloped away from the front of the truck, so by the time we noticed I already had 3 quarts in before we saw it running across the parking lot. :banghead: :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Am I the only one who's ever forgot to put the plug back in the pan doing an oil change.
I was changing the oil in my truck one day at the barracks when I was in the Marines, a few friends were there shooting the bull (and yes drinking). Wouldn't have been so bad but the parking lot sloped away from the front of the truck, so by the time we noticed I already had 3 quarts in before we saw it running across the parking lot. :banghead: :lol:
I have not ever forgot the drain plug. I have however forgot to connect the lower radiator hose and close the petcock on the bottom of my radiator prior to filling...whats that water rushing noise?

·
Registered
511 Posts
When I was a kid, I noticed Dad cleaning the tractor's radiator fins in the Spring when they filled with hay chaff, pollen, etc. (He used an air hose.) One day while he was at work, I decided to help out. I took a screwdriver and poked the radiator repeatedly to clear the entire grille. He was a more than a little surprised the next day, but very understanding. In addition to learning how to perform proper maintenance, I also got to learn how to install a new radiator!

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
When working on the 400 TH Automatic Transmission in my 79 Chevy which I pulled 3 times and put back in too! The last time I filled the Tranny up believe it or not I was so tired of working on it I forgot to put the Pan on it and jumped the gun putting the fluid in!!! I had poured 2-3 quarts before I noticed it was coming out from under the truck in my shop! Man that was a mess to clean up.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
I changed the oil and filter on my truck. After starting it up, major oil leak. Turned out the gasket from original oil filter stuck to the block and the new oil filter pushed it part way off and did not seal to the block. Pulled filter, removed the old gasket, reinstalled filter, added more oil, and then BIG mess in the driveway (concrete) to clean up. :banghead:

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
A kid who worked in my race car shop was told to change the oil in the Dodge Dually with the Cummins. We had just repainted all of the shop floors. I told him specifically to be careful and to not get any oil on the floor.

He proceeded to slide the drain tub under the oil pan and he pulled the drain plug and slid out from under the truck. About a minute later, I saw a large oil pool spreading out from under the truck on all sides. Turned out it was one of the enclosed oil catch pans that you can fill and then transport to empty but when he laid it on its side to catch the oil, he forgot to pull the plug out of the side which faces the truck to catch all of the oil so it just ran right off the catch pan and all over the floor.......Dumped the entire oil pan of oil on the new floor......

Apparently it happens to a lot of people. When I googled the drain pan, I found where the guy who was doing a "How to" series for an oil change did the exact same thing with the exact same pan. When you lay it on its side, if you don't pull the drain plug AND open the vent, it will run all over the place......

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
I changed the oil and filter on my truck. After starting it up, major oil leak. Turned out the gasket from original oil filter stuck to the block and the new oil filter pushed it part way off and did not seal to the block. Pulled filter, removed the old gasket, reinstalled filter, added more oil, and then BIG mess in the driveway (concrete) to clean up. :banghead:
That happened to me on my first hydro change on my 2520. From then on no matter what filter on what machine I now always look at the seating surface to be sure the old gasket came off with the filter.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
That happen in my 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi same thing the gasket stuck so I had two and it blew out! Lost about 1/2 gal synthetic oil warming up the truck before I noticed it. Man that was a mess to clean up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This EXACT thing happened to me when changing the oil on my old Mazda6. It ran for only a few seconds but the mess was amazing. Lesson learned, I always make such the oil filter surface is clean on the block. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts