Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having intermittent steering issues with P/S on my 2016 1025r, normal on this tractor is a little stiff, recently it will go from normal to very easy, back to normal, then to very stiff, and back to normal. Anyone else having anything similar going on? Will be contacting dealer about this, just wanted to see if this might be common problem, I had a 2014 1025r and it seems like the steering was easy, can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My power steering has been very consistent since the day I got it, even with a full load on the front end. I guess I would describe it as effortless.

·
Administrator
20,867 Posts
Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level? Is it making any strange sounds?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I posted just the other day about this. My 2016 1025R goes from normal to slightly stiffer than normal then back again after mowing for an hour or two. I think it may be from the fluid getting warm from lots of steering. I checked the fluid and it was full and clear. We have lots of trees on our property to mow around so there is lots of sharp steering going on and we have has some rather warm weather as of late. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has a definitive answer.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I posted just the other day about this. My 2016 1025R goes from normal to slightly stiffer than normal then back again after mowing for an hour or two. I think it may be from the fluid getting warm from lots of steering. I checked the fluid and it was full and clear. We have lots of trees on our property to mow around so there is lots of sharp steering going on and we have has some rather warm weather as of late. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has a definitive answer.
I can't really say what the problem may be, but heated hydraulic oil should not cause any problems as long as it isn't overheated which steering the tractor will not do.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
The bearings in the spindle housings could be bad. The SCU is also a possibility.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I posted with a similar problem a while back. It only happens for me during or after mowing. I wouldn't say that it is ever hard to turn, just noticeably more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have seen several instances of hard steering. I will give the 4 root causes of the ones i have dealt with and the repairs.
#1. Steering sluggish at idle. Worked ok if steering wheel was turned slow and improved as the engine speed was increased. If you jerked the wheel to turn it would instantly get hard. Checked other hyd systems.. Loader, hitch ect. All slow at idle, better at increased rpm. Found clogged suction screen. The scope of this is.. If ALL systems are slow.. Look for a flow issue.
#2. Steering only gets hard when hot, during mowing ect. Again.. Checked all hyd functions. Found 3 pt hitch feed back rod out of adjustment causing overheating and foaming of hyd fluid. When 3pt is fully lifted, you should hear no hyd noise. Also grab the lower hitch arms and lift up.. There must be some slack. That tells you the hitch valve has returned to neutral and is not bypassing.
#3. Steers hard hot or cold. No change when rpms are increased. Might be jerky when forcing the steering wheel. Tested all hyd systems. All ok. Jacked up front end to get weight off tires. Better. Steered easier. Pressure test and flow test to steer cylinder good. Cause: bad steering cylinder. Replaced cylinder.
#4 Steers hard.. Comes and goes. Fine one hour.. Hard the next. Tested systems all ok. Drove me nuts. Thought I had a bad steer cylinder but.. Finally found bad priority valve in the pto manifold. Same valve body where the pto solenoid is located. Replaced the valve body.. All good.
I've seen many steering issues but most fall into these 4 scenarios. YMMV.
So.. Sorry for the long post. That's my take on hard steering! If yur under warranty get it to yur dealer.. If not, Deere has plenty of parts.. Load the parts gun and shoot away til she's fixed! Just kidding. You know how us "Stealership" guys are. Right AJ!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have seen several instances of hard steering. I will give the 4 root causes of the ones i have dealt with and the repairs.
#1. Steering sluggish at idle. Worked ok if steering wheel was turned slow and improved as the engine speed was increased. If you jerked the wheel to turn it would instantly get hard. Checked other hyd systems.. Loader, hitch ect. All slow at idle, better at increased rpm. Found clogged suction screen. The scope of this is.. If ALL systems are slow.. Look for a flow issue.
#2. Steering only gets hard when hot, during mowing ect. Again.. Checked all hyd functions. Found 3 pt hitch feed back rod out of adjustment causing overheating and foaming of hyd fluid. When 3pt is fully lifted, you should hear no hyd noise. Also grab the lower hitch arms and lift up.. There must be some slack. That tells you the hitch valve has returned to neutral and is not bypassing.
#3. Steers hard hot or cold. No change when rpms are increased. Might be jerky when forcing the steering wheel. Tested all hyd systems. All ok. Jacked up front end to get weight off tires. Better. Steered easier. Pressure test and flow test to steer cylinder good. Cause: bad steering cylinder. Replaced cylinder.
#4 Steers hard.. Comes and goes. Fine one hour.. Hard the next. Tested systems all ok. Drove me nuts. Thought I had a bad steer cylinder but.. Finally found bad priority valve in the pto manifold. Same valve body where the pto solenoid is located. Replaced the valve body.. All good.
I've seen many steering issues but most fall into these 4 scenarios. YMMV.
So.. Sorry for the long post. That's my take on hard steering! If yur under warranty get it to yur dealer.. If not, Deere has plenty of parts.. Load the parts gun and shoot away til she's fixed! Just kidding. You know how us "Stealership" guys are. Right AJ!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Great info to share! :thumbup1gif:

You just forgot one thing... :unknown:

First... you gotta charge him $200 for a hydro change, tell him you couldn't recreate the issue and send it back! :lol::hornets::mocking:

Only kidding... sorry I couldn't help myself. :cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have changed Hydraulic oil and filter twice, most recent was last Fri, still had problems while mowing this w/e.. Talked to dealer, will be getting it to them shortly. There is no unusual noises from Hyd, system, just the steering effort changes, and again, this is not a every time problem, very intermittent, which is one reason I have been reluctant to take to dealer, especially since they said they have not run into this on a 1025r. That figures!
And just FYI, the screen was clean at this service, lot of metal first time, which is fairly normal at 50 hrs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to update the steering issue, finally got it to dealer, they were able to duplicate the problem I described, they ended up changing Solenoid valve on the PTO manifold. So far the steering is easy like I feel it should be, but time will tell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had similar issue. Easy turn for about an hour of operations then it would tighten up. Not very tight but noticeable difference. Second time in for same item. This time they changed Steering Valve, LVA16533. Time to give it a test.

·
Premium Member
5,793 Posts
That is impressive. It’s not a high percentage of guys who would find that one.

Reactions: keane
1 - 13 of 13 Posts