Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Found this in the garage attic a few months ago. Long forgotten. Also a mess of my old Tonka trucks. I started looking into it and man are these things worth some money!

I may sell a Tonka (cuz I doubt the wife will let the youngun play with it,I know I cut myself!!) but this John Deere will stay with me!!!!

Attachments

Registered
Very nice. I've got a box in the basement that I need to get out. Most of mine are pre-1960, with a couple later ones thrown in. I agree with you, they are staying with me. I need to get some pictures posted when I get them out. Like the big ones, they seem to last forever.

Registered
It's always nice to see old toys that were made out of metal. I don't have any trucks or tractors but I have a Lionel engine and few cars and caboose that was made in the 1940's, the engine smokes, it's O27 gauge.

Old metal cap guns are really expensive today too.

Registered
I wish I still had mine from the day. I may still have some, i'll have to look. They had many hours on them in the sand box etc.. If times were still like that wear kids used their imagination during playtime instead of playing video games!
Metal cap guns, wow to still have one of those....

There were some cool ertl toys and others in the day though.

Registered
i pulled mine out from my parents basement not too long ago. i had some cool stuff since my dad worked for deere. most of them are now missing tracks or rops but otherwise in working order.

dad kept a lot of stuff in the boxes too. stuff i never got my little paws on. i was seeing them for the first time so it was pretty cool. i wish i had taken pictures. maybe next time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Just scored this from a sale. 1970 ertl. Same as the one I had. Kids not due til dec. Think I'm overanxious?

Attachments

Administrator

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty excited. Been looking a while. Unrestored not beat up. Good price.

Registered
I have a ton of those from when I was a kid. Most are international of fords and all have been played with hard. I dowbt mine are worth much since they are from the 80's.
I'm kinda in the same boat....our family farm had all Ford tractors, so my ertl toys got a good bit of play time! I recently put the few that I have up on display in my man cave/tv room....brings back some good memories! Now I'm trying to figure out how I got on this Deere kick!:spy:

Administrator

Registered
Well that's a simple answer, you grew up :)
My grandfather is probably rolling in his grave with me buying this green stuff! He was a diehard Ford man.....the only pieces of non ford stuff on the farm were a hay rake and square baler!

Registered
Ertl made some really cool toys. I grew up by a Massey Ferguson dealer, so I got a bunch of Ertl Massey's. Can't remember the scale but they were a fair size. The box one of the trator and implement sets came in turned into a barn big enought to park the toys in. I was keeping them for when I had kids, but they got stolen from my parents old house. Can't remeber what model the tractors were, but they had a really cool combine. Lots of detail and working parts. And like you say....all metal. They were from the late 70's. I've been buying my son all the new Ertl John Deere farm sets, but they are the small 1/64 scale.

Administrator
Ok Jason. It's official. You have enough Deeres in your collection to be considered a mild fan of JD. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I too have a collection. Not much of my stuff is too beat up, but if i see the older ones at antique shows i usually end up adding them to my collection. :thumbup1gif: Mine isn't all Deere though, lots of Caterpillar, some New Holland/Ford, Case IH, Bobcat, little bit of Kubota, and a few others. I do have to say the Deere's look pretty sharp on the shelf. :thumbup1gif: The picture shows some of my collection.

Attachments

your 5020 looks like the same condition mine is in. Fenders bent down and chipped paint. Spend hours with that thing!

Registered
I always love my 5020. All we ever had in this area were row crop tractors. I still love the wheatland/industrial tractors!!

Might I suggest to all the toy tractor lovers, a trip to Dyersville Ia for the World Toy show the first weekend in November. I am a hr and 15 minutes from the town that started it all. You might find all the toys you grew up with.

http://www.toyfarmer.com/events/index.html

It is November 2/3 this year.

May he RIP
Just scored this from a sale. 1970 ertl. Same as the one I had. Kids not due til dec. Think I'm overanxious?
Hello YesDeere
I am Not trying to Rain on Your Parade here, but how did you come up with this Tractor's Birth year ? I just finished a complete Restoration on our Daughter's 22 Year old John Deere Pedal Tractor. it had the Ertle model number 520 casted into the right lower body Panel behind the pedal crank. These 520's were made with a Black Plastic seat and Plastic front wheels. One's prior to this had Steel front wheel's and a forged aluminum Seat & steering wheel on them. I found a guy that sell's most of the part's for these if you need them or are going to restore the one you got I placed a Link to his web page below for you. I hope this helps and here is what he say's about the different styles of John Deere Ertle Pedal Tractors. Regards, Kurt

other Pedal Tractors

The JD Model 520 came in three different variations.
The 4430, 4440 & 4450.
The ERTL Co. first made the 4430 in 1973. This pedal tractor came with a metal seat, metal steering wheel. The first few shipped from the factory with metal front wheels, but without slots to mount hub caps. These had the old style push caps on front axle and pedal crank. Later models did have the black plastic seats and steering wheels. Then in 1978 ERTL made the 4440. This pedal tractor had the black plastic seat and black plastic steering wheel. Also the front rims are plastic.Then in 1982 ERTL made the 4450. This pedal tractor had the black plastic seat and black plastic steering wheel. front rims are plastic.

The decals are different for each pedal tractor.

The ERTL Company in 1990 made what is called the 4455. This pedal tractor has a casting marking saying Stock No. 520. The ERTL box seal showing on the right side. The Model 55 has the starter on the left rather than the battery box which is on the 50. It also has a large embossed ERTL seal on the casting.

In 1990 ERTL also made the 55 Industrial. This pedal tractor was the industrial JD Yellow in color. It is marked in much the same way as the above green JD 4455. If you want an original 55 Industrial tractor you almost have to have the original box it came in. Anyone can paint a Model 55 and call it an Industrial. Original industrials have a typical ERTL date mark like the 1/16" scale toys.

We Bought this Ertle Model Stock Number 520 for our Daughter in 1990. It has been moved, dragged and stored since the mid 1990's time span. Our Granddaughter had a recent First Birthday Party. I decided it was high time to hand the John Deere Pedal Tractor down to her. I took it all apart and re-painted it. In the process I discovered quit a bit of corrosion inside the pedal crank cover on the very bottom of this Tractor. Evidently Rain water got in between the two body halves and laid there, so I stripped and painted it inside while doing the restoration. I bought a decal package for it off Evil-Bay for $18.00 and added it when I was done with the Tractor's restoration. Our Kid's rented a local Pizza Parlor to hold our Granddaughter's first birthday Party. I kept the restoration of this Pedal Tractor a secret while I was doing the restoration on my 1983 John Deere 318 I simply included it with my Sheet metal off my 318 when it was all painted.

When I re-painted it, I did use the Catalyst Hardener in the Valspar paint as the factory did not, and it's Paint was very dull and had faded in color. We Made the Ertle Pedal Tractor the center piece at the Birthday Party, and when our Granddaughter had opened all of her other Gift's it was Taken out of the Trophy display case where we had it siting and given to her. Once she saw it, she ignored all of her other gift's and would Not get off of it. Here is how the party looked with The John Deere Pedal Tractor & cake as well as us riding into the event on my 1983 John Deere 318 along with it's Rarely seen Factory made Model # 30 dump cart that was on ly offered for a couple of years and made by The Radio-Flyer Corp. out of Chicago, Illinois. Regards, Hammerdown

These Picture's were taken the day I finished it's Restoration, on my Back deck table. One Interesting thing that I discovered while working on this Ertle John Deere Pedal Tractor was, That the Ford Motor Company, In Detroit, Michigan made the aluminum body's that these Tractor's have on them

These Picture's were Taken the day of Our Granddaughter's Fisrt Birthday Party, The Theme was "John Deere Green". The Pizza parlor owner allowed us to use his Trophy case to display the Tractor

The Guest's came and I surprised them all when I came from the back of the building Pulling The Birthday Guest of Honor our Granddaughter into her First Birthday Party. They all were outside when we rounded the corner and cheered us on and clapped their hands. The 1983 John Deere 318 had Only been restored less than 5 day's prior to the party. It was Taken down to the frame and completly re-painted. Whie it was apart I Placed a brand new P-218 Engine in it. The Dump Cart was restored earlier in the summer. We have had it for well over 25 Year's as I bought it from a John Deere Dealer ship for $25.00 back then. I had No idea how Rare these were until I started to research it. They were Introduced to pull behind the smaller John Deere Rear engine riding Mower's but only offered for Two Years in the late 1980's time span. I had to use Model 80 Dump Cart decal kit as they don't even show a model 30 dump cart or any parts for them. I simply Cut the "8" Portion of the 80 decal in Half to give me the Model 30 Number that I needed. We came from the rear of the building riding into the party In John Deere Style. Our attire of the day was Bib Overhauls. Mine were Bought at a Local Farm supply, but our Granddaughter's were hand made by my wife. She had a John Deer Hair Bow as well as Official John Deere Boots. In the dump cart she had Two Hand made John Deere afghans. My wife's sister in Arizona Hand Knitted both of them. Mine is the Traditional John Deere Green & Yellow Variety, while our Granddaughter's is the Girl style John Deere afghan.

These Picture's were taken at the end of the Birthday Party when we Gave the Ertle John Deere Model 520 Tractor to our Granddaughter. Once she spotted this Gift, she Ignored all of the other's. I think we have another John Deere Lover in the family Now don't You ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts