Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of guys have posted that they run Ethanol Free Gas in their small engines. I finally found a place here in town that has ethanal free so I was going to start going there. I'd stopped by the place a month or so ago to check the price and found that it was about 60 cents per gallon more expensive than regular. This is an independent station is owned by a local fuel oil distributor that I actually worked for when I was in high school 40+ years ago.

The other day I was out with Sweetie and sitting at an intersection next to a BP station I noticed their sign said "Recreational Fuel - Ethanol Free" on it. WOW! This place is quite a bit closer to me than the station mentioned above so last Saturday I was out running some errands so I stopped in at the BP station with a couple of 5 gallon cans. Imagine my surprise when I saw the price - 54 cents CHEAPER than regular!!

Is there any reason that I can't run this in my truck (2021 F250 - 6.2L gas engine)? From what I've read online there should be no performance issue or harm to the engine. Should I get better mileage since it has a slightly higher octane rating?

Saving 50 cents a gallon translates to roughly $15 per fill up. Nice little chunk of change.

I saw an episode of "Outdoors with the Morgans" a week or so ago. Mike Morgan found a station in Morgantown WV that had ethanol free for almost $2 per gallon cheaper than he was buying it for in PA. But then he went back several days later and the price had gone up by a $1. Just wondering why BP is charging so much less for this. I do believe that the gas at the independent station is marketed as "Racing Gas" and has a higher (95 or 97??) octane rating as compared to the 90 octane at BP.

Cloud Sky Car Vehicle Plant

Font Rectangle Gas Machine Signage

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Hard to believe that secret will last long if it's less than regular.
I have one station near my work that fills my heating oil tank and sells off road diesel and one pump has alcohol free gas.
It is only 89 or 90 octane and sells for about the same price as their 92 octane "high test".
I will have to start looking a little harder at some local BP's and see if they carry this fuel. Never saw it in the past.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
You should be able to run it no problems.

On the pricing., you see that at honest dealers Keep in mind that the dealer pays to have their tanks filled. If THEIR cost for gas goes up the next day it doesn't effect them until the next time they have their tanks filled. An honest dealer won't raise their prices until they pay more.

In this case, if no one is buying the ethanol free, they aren't having those tanks filled. Their prices should be based on what they paid for it before all the nonsense started.

In the last 40+ years most stations have changed their "thinking". Now they charge you based on what it is going to cost them to get their tanks filled back up after they've sold what they have. The station owners make out a lot better that way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You should be able to run it no problems.

On the pricing., you see that at honest dealers Keep in mind that the dealer pays to have their tanks filled. If THEIR cost for gas goes up the next day it doesn't effect them until the next time they have their tanks filled. An honest dealer won't raise their prices until they pay more.

In this case, if no one is buying the ethanol free, they aren't having those tanks filled. Their prices should be based on what they paid for it before all the nonsense started.

In the last 40+ years most stations have changed their "thinking". Now they charge you based on what it is going to cost them to get their tanks filled back up after they've sold what they have. The station owners make out a lot better that way.
They sell based on the market, but they buy trying to beat the market. For example, if commodity price on gasoline is going up today, they want to buy as much as they can. If the price is declining, they ride down their tanks.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,117 Posts
I posted a couple weeks ago,, I paid 6.399 for E Free. .. Independent business. just inside the WV line on I68...
His price had always been 75-1.25 more than regular.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
When the prices started going up I noticed that the ethanol free at the pump I was using was significantly cheaper than the regular so I filled up with that if I remember right. The next time I went to that pump it was a lot more than regular once again.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
This last Saturday in Aiken SC non-ethanol was priced less than 87 octane gasohol, so I filled my 3 five gallon cans, plus the SUV I was driving. Then I went back home and took my other 3 vehicles back for fill-ups. It was $3.59 and premium was going for over $5.

I read later about corn prices increasing and wonder if this might be a reason. It sure would be nice to have real unadulterated gasoline make a comeback.

·
Premium Member
17,265 Posts
Is there any reason that I can't run this in my truck (2021 F250 - 6.2L gas engine)? From what I've read online there should be no performance issue or harm to the engine. Should I get better mileage since it has a slightly higher octane rating?
The only reason I can think of is if you DON'T want to get better gas mileage!! :) Seriously, engines were not designed to WANT ethanol, they were designed to TOLERATE it. Non-ethanol is real pure gas.

When I burned a tank of non-Ethanol in my Toyota Highlander my average MPG for a tank went from 18-20MPG to 23-24MPG.

Just imagine how much LESS gas the country would use if all vehicles were getting improved fuel mileage from pure gas?

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
458 Posts
That’s a good deal. Ethanol free has always been $.60 to a $1 more per gallon here and it still is. And I have always thought ethanol was a scam sponsored by Big Ag, a few giant processors and of course our friends in government.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
A few years back when there were some gas shortages/outages, we got caught by surprise at our place in the mountains. We couldn't find any gas at our usual spots to get home. We were lucky to finally find a station that had some no-ethanol 100% gas so we filled up.

That car's gas mileage was usually about 28 mpg at best. On that tank, it jumped up to 52 mpg! It was quite eye-opening to see how much better things could work with 100% gas.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
A few years back when there were some gas shortages/outages, we got caught by surprise at our place in the mountains. We couldn't find any gas at our usual spots to get home. We were lucky to finally find a station that had some no-ethanol 100% gas so we filled up.

That car's gas mileage was usually about 28 mpg at best. On that tank, it jumped up to 52 mpg! It was quite eye-opening to see how much better things could work with 100% gas.
You must have been drafting a Semi downhill on that test.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Good find I use it in all my small engines and is always almost a Dollar more

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Lower price and higher mileage is a double win.

In actuality the cost is usually enough higher around here that the mile per dollar turns out to be lower with E-free in an auto or truck. Real world tessting I've seen came out to just 1 or 2 MPG better while the cost was much higher.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Around here in southern Vermont the gas station only offers ethanol free gas in the premium grade only

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Good find I use it in all my small engines and is always almost a Dollar more
Price-wise, same here but I don't necessarily feel the need to run it in everything all the time. During mowing season I go through gas pretty quickly, I don't have a problem running regular in a late model machine (that's E10 tolerant) that uses it up within 2 weeks. In the fall I start using ethanol-free because stuff may sit idle a long time. I do use EF exclusively in my 2-cycle mix and my 90's snowblower.

·
Premium Member
17,265 Posts
Around here in southern Vermont the gas station only offers ethanol free gas in the premium grade only
I read somewhere that non-ethanol only comes in higher octane. Around here all non-ethanol is between 90 and 92 octane.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts