Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
18,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have good/bad things to say about etrailer.com? I placed my first order with them Sunday and have had a terrible experience so far. Just curious what others think before I post my story here.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
I've been to that site a 1000 times but never bought anything. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
never heard of it. what kind of issues are you having?

and what did you get?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
never heard of it. what kind of issues are you having?

and what did you get?
I wanted to buy a brake controller from them,,,,, I called,,, I emailed,,,

I wanted to get it from them as a reward for the excellent videos they produced.

They guaranteed they would match any other price on the internet,,

Well, they would sell me the brake controller,,, at THEIR price, then,,, I could apply for a refund,,,

Naaaaa,,, I just ordered from Amazon,, it was here,, with free shipping,,, in 2 days.:thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
I've ordered a couple of hitches, a sway control unit and a brake controller though them over the years. Never had any problems. They have a pretty good reputation in the RV community. They are a little slow in verifying orders but stuff has always showed up as advertised and sooner than expected.

·
Corndog Hater
11,693 Posts
I've been to that site a 1000 times but never bought anything. Sorry.
Same here. I did mention the site to a friend who did buy a hitch from them. He had it super quick and was very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Kenny,

I've purchased some trailer maintenance and repair parts from them time to time. Recently converted all the clearance lights on my Featherlite enclosed trailer to LED's. Purchased the plug-in LED lights, a replacement socket, replacement trailer brake battery box and some bearing buddies. Had everything in a few days.

Frank

·
Administrator
18,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess I am the odd man out-so far anyway.

On Sunday evening, 8/23 I ordered a Fulton 600lb braking boat winch for my hydraulic press (adding it to the table). To get over the $99 "free" shipping number I also added some fluff I didn't really need like two receiver hitch covers and a reducer sleeve.

With an hour (yes on Sunday evening) I get this reply:

Ken xxxxxxxxx,

Your order is in transit to our distribution facility and should ship in the next 7 days.

If you have any questions, you can reach me at 1-800-298-8924

Thanks,

George J
Cool that I got a response on a Sunday evening, but to that I replied "ship in the next 7 days" Really?

So on Monday I get this email:
Kenny,

Thank you for your order with etrailer.com; we appreciate your business.

Our shipment of the hitch cover has not yet arrived from the manufacturer. I checked with them for an update, and they let me know we should be able to ship mid September. We will continue to watch your order and I will notify you if we receive any further updates.

If there is anything else with which we can assist you; or if you would like to inquire if we have an alternate item in stock please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-298-8924.

Thanks,

Amber G.

Mid-September?
WOW. I emailed Amber back and forth several times throughout the day explaining that I needed the winch ASAP and that I shouldn't have to wait almost three weeks because they don't ( and didn't show as out of stock on the website) have one small item (one of the hitch covers) to ship, and I assumed she agreed when I received this reply from her:

Kenny,

Thank you for your order with etrailer.com; we appreciate your business.

Our shipment of the got duramax hitch cover has not yet arrived from the manufacturer. I will continue to watch your order and I will notify you if I receive any further updates.

Everything else on your order is in stock and ready to ship right away. If you would like me to ship the in stock items, please respond back to this email. When we split an order your card is charged for all the items, even the out of stock item. Then we'll ship the out of stock item once it arrives; there is no extra charge for this service.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Amber G.

And to that I replied "Yes Amber, please ship what you have now please, I thought this was clear in the last message. Kenny"

OK, all good right? Well then I get this message:

Ken,

Thank you for your email.

I can get your order split, however, there would be a fee of $15.53 so that you could get your other items quicker, I apologize for any confusions.

If there is anything we can assist you with or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to email or call 1-800-298-8924.

Thank you,

Amber G.

They are going to charge me $15.53 to "split" the order ship a cheap plastic hitch cover separately? Really!?? :dunno:

So I called, A gent answered and stated Amber was away from her desk, but he knew what this was about because he asked if I was calling about the Duramax hitch cover. After I told my story to him, I was put on hold for 3 minutes, and when he returned he stated there was a mistake, it would only be $2.99 to "split" the order and later ship the hitch cover. I stated once again that I shouldn't have to pay shipping on a back-order, especially since it was not shown as out of stock on the website when I ordered it. He would not budge from that position, so I canceled the hitch cover on the order.

I wrote this letter after the call:

Amber, and to whom it may concern,
I guess you know by now that I called after receiving your last message. I just want to reiterate how disappointing this entire transaction has been with etrailer, it was my first experience and I promise it will be my last. First telling me that my order wouldn't ship for 7 days, then that became "mid September" sometime, then when your asked to ship the parts you have and agreeing, you come back after the fact and tell me there will be a $15.53 charge to do that? Really?
The back-ordered item was not shown as such on the website, so I had now idea I was ordering an "out of stock" item, then when I finally called and complained about all this they only offered to reduce the extra shipping charge to $2.99 instead of trying to make me a satisfied customer and just forgo the $2.99 fee. Finally, I decided to cancel the back-ordered item and be done, now I am thinking I should have just canceled the whole order and gave my money to a company that is interested in pleasing it's customers.
Amber replied with this:

Kenny,

Thank you for your reply.

I do apologize for any hassle that you've gotten over this order.

etrailer.com is continuously looking for ways to improve our customers' experience and we take your comments very seriously. Without honest feedback from valued customers like you we would not know where we need to make improvements.

If there is anything we can assist you with or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to email or call 1-800-298-8924.

Thank you,

Amber G.
And finally, to that I replied:

Amber,
You all missed several opportunities to make this right-especially when I called but it was decided that $2.99 was worth loosing a future customer over-and maybe more when/if I post about this experience on my tractor forum.

One major improvement you can make is to NEVER attempt to charge a customer to ship a back-order or tell then it will be three weeks before you can ship anything because of one.

That is just good business.

So, maybe its just me with the problem? Am I overreacting?
I suspect all those with great experiences didn't happen to unknowingly order an out of stock item.

·
Administrator
20,737 Posts
I think you did the right thing. You let them know what the issue was. You weren't a jerk. You gave them multiple opportunities to make it right. Their loss.

Based on your experience, I don't believe I would place an order with them. I don't need the hassle when there are other companies willing to provide good customer service.

A dollar goes where it's best treated.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You are not over-reacting,,,

What you went through is the IDENTICAL experience I had,,,
the difference was I decided they would not get ANY of my $$$

They have THEIR system,,,, and they will NOT budge,,, period.

That is a very poor method to operate in this day and age,,,

Flexibility is the key to success,,, it shows they want to do better,,

eTrailer has Z E R O flex,,,,

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
I'd have probably told them to shove it and not spent any money there. You did it in the way that I should have done it if I was in your shoes but I'm not that good at things like that. :flag_of_truce:

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
I think you were plenty level-headed and gave them more than enough opportunities to remedy the issue. They failed. Pretty simple really.

There's really no reason for them to not have shipped the in-stock items and then ship the last remaining item when it came in - and done so without any additional charges to you.

It sounds like they are allowing their "process" to control actions instead of a little common sense.

All of my previous orders with them were items that were in stock so this is the first time I've heard of this sort of thing.

·
Administrator
18,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the difference was I decided they would not get ANY of my $$$
I'd have probably told them to shove it and not spent any money there....
Yes, as I wrote in the second to last message:
now I am thinking I should have just canceled the whole order and gave my money to a company that is interested in pleasing it's customers.
But it's too late now...

·
Corndog Hater
11,693 Posts
Bummer Kenny. It just seems in this day and age of ecommerce that we hear of these kinds of things more often. What I find is even more common and frustrating is when an issue arises, it seems that things are dealt with in a talking to the "right person at the right time" manner when one calls or emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,737 Posts
I'm thinking this this thread alone will cost them a great deal more than $2.99 or even $15.53.

·
Premium Member
7,755 Posts
Kenny:

I ran into that nonsense with Sears over a garage door opener gear. I cancelled the order with Sears and got the replacement part for a fraction of the cost from Amazon. I won't buy anything from Sears ever again.

I've surfed the eTrailer web site a number of times; but I haven't bought anything from them.

The emails you received from them is typical scripted customer disservice language I've encountered from a number of companies in various industries over the years. The customer disservice drones aren't paid to think, they are paid to regurgitate the company boilerplate language.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with them. My biggest complaint is the shipping time, especially the 7 days they typically quote. Amazon Prime has spoiled us. I have complained about this, and the last couple of orders have arrived much more quickly. I totally agree, if your order qualifies for free shipping, it should be just that, whether items are in stock or not. I usually look for what I want on their site, then compare prices to Amazon. They do have a good selection, and the videos can be very helpful. I have worked with Anna S, who has been helpful. I get the impression they are trying to improve their customer service, although your experience is certainly a setback.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trouble with E-trailer Kenny...I wish I would've known earlier, I may have been able to help. We are an authorized dealer for Curt Manufacturing, although we mostly buy raw goods from them, we are able to offer anything from their retail line as well. If there are any GTT members that are looking to purchase towing / hauling products, check out Curt Trailer Hitches, Cargo Carriers, and Bike Racks from CURT Manufacturing and PM me. I'll be glad to shoot a price and try and save some money and grief!:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts