Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2320/ 200cx came with a 62" bucket.

Far from ideal for digging dirt.

I found this 48" wide home made bucket for sale for a decent price. Has welded on teeth, but they aren't that long like the ones on most toothbars.

My rear wheels are 52" wide.

I was hoping to buy a Deere 53" bucket and put a toothbar on it, but that's like $1100-1200

This one is around $300.

Would be a no brainer if it was 53" wide and had more aggressive teeth, but not sure if this is going to do the job or not and if I'm wasting 3 hours to get it?

He said the flat bottom makes for easer depth/grade control vs the rounded bottom of the deere ones. Being mine is 62" wide I cant see the front edge from the seat and struggle with that now.

So, what you guys think?

V__9A61.jpg
V__B7F4.jpg
V__E33D.jpg

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
My 2320/ 200cx came with a 62" bucket.

Far from ideal for digging dirt.

I found this 48" wide home made bucket for sale for a decent price. Has welded on teeth, but they aren't that long like the ones on most toothbars.

My rear wheels are 52" wide.

I was hoping to buy a Deere 53" bucket and put a toothbar on it, but that's like $1100-1200

This one is around $300.

Would be a no brainer if it was 53" wide and had more aggressive teeth, but not sure if this is going to do the job or not and if I'm wasting 3 hours to get it?

He said the flat bottom makes for easer depth/grade control vs the rounded bottom of the deere ones. Being mine is 62" wide I cant see the front edge from the seat and struggle with that now.

So, what you guys think?

View attachment 177810
View attachment 177818
View attachment 177826
if u watch the auctions, jd place that sells ah-machine finder-couldn't think of it right away, any ways i have seen used good buckets on them sites for sale for a decent price. they go by the number for the bucket, not by the machine model, so u have find what number ur looking for and then u can see what will fit and won't. i guess jd gets too many of them in, and then sells them by themselves. i don't remember any being as high as u posted, i put my tooth bar on the my bucket for around $75 to $100. good luck.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Are you more concerned with digging dirt,,,,
or having a W I D E bucket?? :dunno:

The perfect bucket for digging dirt would be 30" wide.

Two bites of dirt is FAR better than no bites of dirt.

The bucket has to be sized for the task,,, wide buckets are hard to dig with,,,,

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am not sure this bucket will improve your dirt digging capabilities. I purchased the Heavy Hitch bolt-on toothbar and I am amazed at the difference when digging. I haven't had the chance to do a lot with it yet, but I do have some observations:

1. The toothbars reduce the contact area at the initial point of contact, increasing the pressure applied to the dirt.

2. They are wedged-shaped vertically. This acts like a wedge in a wood splitter, breaking the dirt apart.

3. They stick out from the bucket to allow the dirt to be split apart before the main edge gets to that area.

4. Ideally the tooth will spilt the dirt between the teeth so when the bucket edge gets to that area it is already broken apart and all it has to do is direct the dirt into the bucket.

The little teeth on this bucket doesn't provide many of these benefits. And remember, your tractor is going to have a very hard time tearing up the stock bucket. It just can't generate enough force through traction to do much damage it. A heavier duty bucket is really just heavier.

I paid a little over $300 for the toothbar and it is super easy to remove and install. I don't get the cutting benefits for brush removal like, say, the Piranha Bar, but mine is for digging dirt.

For about the same price you can multi-task your bucket. Just my opinion....

Reactions: 5304

·
Registered
740 Posts
They are right about a flat bottom bucket being easier to control while digging. However, imo, the bucket should be at least as wide as the tractor in order to be useful. Still, the price is right and it would be less work than shoveling.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would still hang on to my 62 for snow and lighter stuff if I got this one.

I called the 3 local dealers within an hour and they never have used buckets for sale. $800 for a new 53" and many of the toolbars online are $300 plus.

I could get a toothbar for the 62" but that seems like a lot for the tractor to handle

One dealership said they may give me some $ for trade in of my 62 to a new 53, maybe that is the route I should go then save up for a toothbar in the future.

Have to see how low he will go on this 48". If it's cheap enough might be worth a shot. 48 with some tooth is gona dig easier than 62 with none.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Get us some action shots and a review.

·
Registered
702 Posts
For 300 bucks I'd buy it, especially if it included the dolly it's sitting on. You can always sell it if you don't like it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I bought a 53" bucket and ballast box from dealer this morning. They gave me $100 off of the pair and $300 trade for my 61". Gotta save up for a toolbar now. Thinking the Long flat bottom.

·
Administrator
20,915 Posts
Wise choice. :good2: The Long flat bottom is the one on my radar too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Now I'm wondering if the flat bottom isn't as strong or if the welder back in 2011 sucked and they are fine now?

Oh oh, Iowa Farms Flat Tooth bar
:dunno:i guess ur guess is the same as mine, if u get one that the weld has pentrated ok-then ur good to go, if 1 tooth poppeds off, then i guess u do what they in the thread did-go have it fixed and they pay for it.

have u looked at Heavy Hitch's tooth bars there building? they look pretty good, if i needed one-i believe it would be the one-just saying:unknown: it only takes roughly 5 to 10 minutes to take mine on and off, I personally would not buy a flat bottom bar-just me-ok-why-because the tooth does not connect to the bottom of the bucket for added support-but that's only my opinion. good luck and keep us posted on what u get.

·
Administrator
20,915 Posts
Actually Jim, the teeth connect directly to the bucket on the flat bottom toothbar. WRLong has been making dirt engaging implements for SCUTs and much larger equipment for many years. I don't have a picture handy to show you the toothbar in question, but they are plenty stout enough for our tractors. :good2:

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Actually Jim, the teeth connect directly to the bucket on the flat bottom toothbar. WRLong has been making dirt engaging implements for SCUTs and much larger equipment for many years. I don't have a picture handy to show you the toothbar in question, but they are plenty stout enough for our tractors. :good2:
ok--always open to learning--i was just going off pic i seen in the post from TBN-okdokee-:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,915 Posts
You're right Jim. That particular toothbar looks different than the one I was thinking of. There should be a small "hook" of sorts on the bottom of the tooth that grabs ahold of the buckets cutting edge. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. :good2:

·
Administrator
20,915 Posts
You're right Jim. That particular toothbar looks different than the one I was thinking of. There should be a small "hook" of sorts on the bottom of the tooth that grabs ahold of the buckets cutting edge. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. :good2:
Here you go Jim. This is how the W.R.Long flat bottom toothbar looks like. Straight from their website.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the tooth itself doesn't hook. The bar they weld to does...not ideal for keeping the teeth attached to the loader bucket.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
Here you go Jim. This is how the W.R.Long flat bottom toothbar looks like. Straight from their website.:thumbup1gif:

thanks for the pics there diesel, never saw one quite like that before, but i suppose that's why it's called a flat bottom-huh.:laugh: i think that i'le stick to my style shanks and bar for now, easy to take off and on with only 2 bolts and nuts, when i want to.in fact same as this ones design, and mine has overkill teeth and shanks for such a little bucket and hydraulic pump:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
Just an opinion here. If you want to dig with your front loader then you should be looking at a toothbar that has the tooth shanks and teeth below the bucket leading edge. The advantage of using a toothbar is that the individual teeth break the crust to loosen the soil. A flat bottom toothbar may be easier to use for depth control or back dragging and leveling but definitely not breaking, loosening and digging dirt.

I have this toothbar on my 300CX loader with 61" HD bucket. The toothshanks are supported on each side of the bucket leading edge so there's very little possibility of loosing a tooth. It digs like the devil.

JD HD Toothbar.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well I bought a 53" bucket and ballast box from dealer this morning. They gave me $100 off of the pair and $300 trade for my 61". Gotta save up for a toolbar now. Thinking the Long flat bottom.
Wow i may look into this to get a 53 instead of my 61" hd bucket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts