Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Does anybody out there ever consider upgrading the light bulbs to LED or HID with ballast...?
Not that the oem doesn't work, it is already good, butmorelight output couldn't be a bad thing.

Please share if someof you upgraded the light bulbs or else.

Thanks for your inputs...! :)

·
Premium Member
12,241 Posts
Hello guys,

Does anybody out there ever consider upgrading the light bulbs to LED or HID with ballast...?
With the popularity of LED lighting I'm actually surprised JD has not introduced a new LED front/rear work light kit for the CUT/SCUT tractors. They could easily offer a brighter LED light that would be a direct plug compatible swap for the existing work light kits.

They have to know that a lot of us crazies would run out and replace our standard lights.

·
Registered
947 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am currently researching LED replacement bulbs for all of mine. I have considered just adding different lamps altogether but I have an affinity for keeping things factory. I added both the front and rear work lights to my 1025, even though they suggest against it. The only reason for suggesting against it is that the current draw is likely too high. By switching to LED bulbs, it will reduce the consumption, and there will be no concern with the overloading the circuit at that point.

Superbrightleds.com has the lamps. H11's are what should be used for the factory work lights. The number on the fender lamps is different from the high mounted lamps but they share the same base. I am ordering one just to see how it works. They aren't cheap but I shouldn't have to worry about them burning out any time soon either.

Jeff

·
Administrator
20,695 Posts
I am currently researching LED replacement bulbs for all of mine. I have considered just adding different lamps altogether but I have an affinity for keeping things factory. I added both the front and rear work lights to my 1025, even though they suggest against it. The only reason for suggesting against it is that the current draw is likely too high. By switching to LED bulbs, it will reduce the consumption, and there will be no concern with the overloading the circuit at that point.

Superbrightleds.com has the lamps. H11's are what should be used for the factory work lights. The number on the fender lamps is different from the high mounted lamps but they share the same base. I am ordering one just to see how it works. They aren't cheap but I shouldn't have to worry about them burning out any time soon either.

Jeff
Keep us in the loop with updates and pics. :hi:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I have had LED's since 2010 and love them.

I first had Grote round units that put out about 800 lumens each, and they were great. Since then LED's have come a long way and I just recently replaced them with the square units from Work Lights, HID Work Lights, HID Lighting, Work HID Lights, LED Work Lights, MobileHID offers it all!. They're about 80$ a piece, and put out 3900 lumens each!!! The plants in our yard actually photosyntesize when I'm out after dark!!!

The LED's are super tough, bright, and really just good. I'll be putting them on my new tractor within 30 minutes of arrival on my yard.

I did replace the headlights with LED bulbs as well. They were from a foreign land and cost about 3$ each. They're cool and crisp white, but not very bright. I'm sure with a little better research one could find a good replacement.

I honestly don't know why they all don't come out of the factory with LED's now.....

-J.

·
Administrator
20,695 Posts
I honestly don't know why they all don't come out of the factory with LED's now.....

-J.
I'll bet cost has a lot to do with it.

·
Premium Member
12,241 Posts
Wait a minute, you are saying cost is a factor in what JD offers? Couldn't they simply take the street value x5 like is done for most JD accessories? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I'd say there's good value in a set of LED's, at 80$ a piece retail - probably 40$ wholesale - that are super bright, super tough, and will outlive the tractor and the owner. But, then again, I guess OEM's don't like parts that don't need to be replaced now, do they???

-J.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Wait a minute, you are saying cost is a factor in what JD offers? Couldn't they simply take the street value x5 like is done for most JD accessories? :laugh:
No kidding.....

JD should get into surgical equipment or certified aircraft parts.

Having said that, I seem to keep going to their store....... It's like crack.

-J.

·
Administrator
20,695 Posts
I'd say there's good value in a set of LED's, at 80$ a piece retail - probably 40$ wholesale - that are super bright, super tough, and will outlive the tractor and the owner. But, then again, I guess OEM's don't like parts that don't need to be replaced now, do they???

-J.
$40 vs -$1. Lets do the math. :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JD Dealer sale here on thos square LED projectors 27$ each (Canadian price used to be a lot more around 65$/each)....purchased 6 of them...installed them...WOW...a lot brighter and the amp meter is happy at only 1.5AMP draw for each...a lot less than the std halogen units.

NOw i only need to find aled or HID replacement for the front stock headlights...greater light output, very happy.

Thanks for the infos...!

I just "upgraded" to these based on a previous thread discussion:

Amazon.com: Tuff LED Lights 2 X 4" Inch Round 27watt LED Work Lamp Light 1550 Lumen, Off Road, Atv, Utv, Polaris Ranger: Automotive

Amazon.com: Tuff LED Lights 4" Inch Square 27watt LED Work Lamp Light 1550 Lumen, Off Road, Atv, Utv, Polaris Ranger: Automotive

They are incredibly bright, economical and the front facing (round) fit within my Artllian Light Guards. They completely drown out the factory halogens in the grille.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Superbrightleds.com has the lamps. H11's are what should be used for the factory work lights.
I looked at the numbers on the bulb connectors today, they are not H11's. On the one series the grill lights are #886, fenders are #856 and the dual ROPS are #886. Superbrightleds.com does not have any of these bulbs in stock, LEDs or halogen, including the H11's.

Be careful when replacing halogen automotive style bulbs with LED replacements. Look carefully at the Lumens (light output). My car fog lights uses the 9006 connector which Superbrightleds.com has a LED replacement for. The Lumens of the LEDs was 550 and seemed kind of low to me. So, I looked up the halogen versions on Advanceautoparts.com, 1000 Lumens. The LEDs have half the light output of the halogens with the same connector.

Mr. Moose

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I replaced my front headlights on my JD too - now they are a nice crisp blue, but not bright at all...

-J.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I looked at the numbers on the bulb connectors today, they are not H11's. On the one series the grill lights are #886, fenders are #856 and the dual ROPS are #886. Superbrightleds.com does not have any of these bulbs in stock, LEDs or halogen, including the H11's.

Be careful when replacing halogen automotive style bulbs with LED replacements. Look carefully at the Lumens (light output). My car fog lights uses the 9006 connector which Superbrightleds.com has a LED replacement for. The Lumens of the LEDs was 550 and seemed kind of low to me. So, I looked up the halogen versions on Advanceautoparts.com, 1000 Lumens. The LEDs have half the light output of the halogens with the same connector.

Mr. Moose
Yeah, superbrightleds indicates the H11 is a replacement for the 886 but that is not the case, as I found out.

Weird that your fender lights are 856. Mine are 862. Has the same base as the headlamps and ROPS lights as far as I can tell.

Still on the hunt for replacement bulbs.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah, superbrightleds indicates the H11 is a replacement for the 886 but that is not the case, as I found out.

Weird that your fender lights are 856. Mine are 862. Has the same base as the headlamps and ROPS lights as far as I can tell.
Oops, sorry, they are the 862's. I had too many numbers floating around in my brain at the time...

Mr. Moose

·
Registered
616 Posts
I went with the square 27w tufflights, mounted on the blinker guards, and two facing backwards on the inside of the rollbar, and I used them all winter for plowing, what a difference. just over $100 for the four from Amazon. no regrets at all.

·
Premium Member
12,241 Posts
I've been looking to improve the front and rear work lights on my 2720. JD Parts shows the bulbs to be GE 886/888 rated as 50W 95 candle power. I found a direct replacement Cree 886 LED bulb which is a direct replacement and rated at 640 lumens.

I figured before I spend either $150 or $90 for a JD LED rear work light I'd risk $13 to try a replacement for the factory halogen bulb.

Has anyone else tried the direct replacement LED bulbs?

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
I've been looking to improve the front and rear work lights on my 2720. JD Parts shows the bulbs to be GE 886/888 rated as 50W 95 candle power. I found a direct replacement Cree 886 LED bulb which is a direct replacement and rated at 640 lumens.
That replacement is half the lumen output. The GE 886 is 1257 lumens.

I figured before I spend either $150 or $90 for a JD LED rear work light I'd risk $13 to try a replacement for the factory halogen bulb.

Has anyone else tried the direct replacement LED bulbs?
I gave up on even trying to find direct replacements. They just don't seem to have any out there yet that put out the same amount of light. I replaced my rear work light with one of these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G620ZVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 20 of 38 Posts