Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@DMITTZ a little off topic here but do you have more pics of your vise? Looks like a nice one.
Thanks, yes it's a 1950's Era 4in Wilton Bullet machinist vice. I bought it off ebay about 5 years ago and it was all rusty but worked well. So I dismantled it and cleaned it all up, sand blasted it and then powder coated it in 'baby blue'.

It's been a fantastic vice. I have another imported 8in vice I Use for anything I have to hammer on and this is for more precise stuff.

I couldn't find the pictures from when I restored it so here some I just took.
Wood Vise Power tool Gas Engineering
Blue Bandsaws Wood Machine tool Gas
Table Wood Gas Machine Electric blue

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quick update. I talked to the seal manufacturer that I dropped the seal off at. They said my part is 'in the que' and they should be able to look at it before the end of the week. I also took the time to tell them it will need to be precise dimensionally and they replied that they have some 3D dimensional scanning equipment that they would use to create a digital model before manufacturing the seal. They assured me one of their main businesses is to 'recreate' seals that are not otherwise avaliable. So let hope it works out once they get to my seal.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok friends, the seal manufacturer called this morning. They asked if I had any intact seals they could use for 3D imaging/modeling. Which I do, so I will drop one off this afternoon. Tomorrow is a holiday here. They tell me will have my seals completed on Tuesday. Since they are custom made they are quite pricey. I'm going to get 10 made so hopefully I have a lifetime supply. If this option fails I have talked to the dealer and it sounds like they will replace the entire connector under warranty. But if this works it gives me a supply of replacement seals in case this ever happens happens again.

If my custom made seal solution works I'll think about how I can make them avaliable to others that have this issue. But one step at a time.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm curious. Did you measure one of the intact seals and compare it to the offerings at McMaster Carr?

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm curious. Did you measure one of the intact seals and compare it to the offerings at McMaster Carr?
No i didn't and that would be a good option, except mccarr master refuses to ship to Canada, unless it's an 'industrial sized' order. I've had them Cancel several orders I made for various things due to that policy. And with the boarder restrictions it's just to hard and costly to zip across to pick stuff up from my US mail box like I used to pre-pandemic.

Reactions: chex313

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That sucks.

I bet one of your N. American cousins would be willing to order from a US address and send it to you. I would offer but it would make more sense for someone with a northerly address to do it.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Success!

Hi friends, so I heard back from the seal manufacturer yesterday that they were ready to produce my seals. I paid them and went in and picked them up today.

The new seals are red (not blue) but they assured me the material is the same.

I had 10 seals made which should provide me with a life time supply.

I installed the new seals and they seemed a tad more snug than the old ones but they also don't have 125hours use on them either.

Anyway hooked everything up and tried it out and no leaks, everything seems to work like normal. So for now I'm calling this a victory. In a few weeks I have some more big projects planned for the tractor and if there are still no leaks at that time I will call this a total success.

Once I ensure that the seals will infact not leak after a decent amount of usage I've made arrangements with the manufacturer to produce more if anyone else runs into this problem, but I want to get a few hours on them before I make them avaliable to the JD community.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Success!

Hi friends, so I heard back from the seal manufacturer yesterday that they were ready to produce my seals. I paid them and went in and picked them up today.

I installed the new seals and they seemed a tad more snug than the old ones but they also don't have 125hours use on them either.

Anyway hooked everything up and tried it out and no leaks, everything seems to work like normal. So for now I'm calling this a victory. In a few weeks I have some more big projects planned for the tractor and if there are still no leaks at that time I will call this a total success.

Once I ensure that the seals will infact not leak after a decent amount of usage I've made arrangements with the manufacturer to produce more if anyone else runs into this problem, but I want to get a few hours on them before I make them avaliable to the JD community.
Keep in mind that these seals aren't leaking from normal use. It's the connect/disconnect cycles that seem to be the culprit, especially if done live (without relieving pressure).

Once again, Mother Deere has dropped the ball on this. In a weeks time you were able to find a way to source these seals, yet the folks at Big Green can't seem to find a way to make them available to us mere mortals. :( :mad:

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that these seals aren't leaking from normal use. It's the connect/disconnect cycles that seem to be the culprit, especially if done live (without relieving pressure).

Once again, Mother Deere has dropped the ball on this. In a weeks time you were able to find a way to source these seals, yet the folks at Big Green can't seem to find a way to make them available to us mere mortals. :( :mad:
With mine it would leak all time after the seal blew out. But yes, it was the connect/disconnect cycle that caused the original seal to fail.

So far I have connected and disconnected the single point about 25 times in quick sucession turning the tractor on in between, before I posted before. So far so good but we'll see how they hold up, I just spent a bit of time doing some yard work and no leaks yet.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh and yes, Deere totally dropped the ball on this one not supplying replacement seals! Can't believe they don't supply them for a nearly new tractor.

Anyway happy this solution seems to be working...finger crossed.

·
Registered
2015 1025R
152 Posts
Success!

Congrats... all of this is too familiar lol.
If the seals feel "snug" as you mentioned, I had a tight tolerance revision and recreated the failure over time. The couplers on the 1 series are different then yours, so there's a variable there. Connecting and disconnecting should feel like there's no resistance. A nice down, snap, lock and a pop release.

Good luck on your testing!

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Congrats... all of this is too familiar lol.
If the seals feel "snug" as you mentioned, I had a tight tolerance revision and recreated the failure over time. The couplers on the 1 series are different then yours, so there's a variable there. Connecting and disconnecting should feel like there's no resistance. A nice down, snap, lock and a pop release.

Good luck on your testing!
The connect disconnect cycle feels the same as before.
I just noticed when I had the whole thing apart right after replacing the seal that the little plunger at first wasn't shutting completely, but after trying on the single point 'block' everything started working as it should and after 25 test cycles it seems fine (connect/disconnect). But... ya we will see after I get some more hours on it. A revision to allow a few thousands clearance would be quite easy, although it will cost me some more money if required.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey Friends,

So i wanted to update you all on how custom made seal in the single point is holding up.

So far I have not had any leaks or problems with the new seal. I have done a bit of loader and pallet fork work including a pretty heavy llift today and have not had any issues so far.

To be fair its only been a few weeks of use, but honestly i don't expect any future problems.

So as a service to the green tractor community, if anyone with 2032 or 2038R blows this same seal in thier single point connector, let me know (with a PM) I have a handful of spares in my tool box and can have more of these seals made by the local manufacturer as I asked them to create a file in their system under my name with the necessary measurements to re-create the seal. They aren't exactly cheap to get made, but a whole lot less money than replacing the whole single point connector.

Happy tractoring friends, and happy to help if you find yourself in this situation.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 2032R
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just now saw this thread, unfortunately.

I will work with Discount Hydraulic Hose to get some OEM seals available for the 2032R/2038R Single point kit. It will take a few days.

Tim
Hi Tim, i'm happy to report the seals i had made are continuing to function without issue.
If you want the details of the company I had make the seals I am happy to assist you as we know these seals work and the local company has already 3D imaged them and has all the stuff on file to make more.

-David

21 - 37 of 37 Posts