Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 5 acres and I have many 70 foot white pines grown together as a screen and the poison Ivy and small saplings are crazy and out of control what can I do to control this short of the sthil and a sapling blade?

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
See if there is someone in your area that rents out their goats. Within a few days they'd eat all of that. Then you just need to work on stopping it from growing back (or get a goat or two of your own! :laugh:)

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Time for a thinning

If those are 70' tall, you might be able to interest a logger in doing a thinning for you. Five acres is a fairly small tract so look for a smaller outfit that you can trust to not screw up the trees you want left. If it's just the ivy you want gone, goats or Roundup or one of the forestry herbicides will work. You need a good sticker on poison ivy, the leaves are tough to wet.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If those are 70' tall, you might be able to interest a logger in doing a thinning for you. Five acres is a fairly small tract so look for a smaller outfit that you can trust to not screw up the trees you want left. If it's just the ivy you want gone, goats or Roundup or one of the forestry herbicides will work. You need a good sticker on poison ivy, the leaves are tough to wet.

Treefarmer
It is just a string of 7 trees around my pond that hide it and our house from the front 9. I would love to have goats but not really a feasible option for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts