Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Well today I finished my U-joints from hell upgrade. I won't get long winded about this because there are many treads addressing it. I used Moog 410 U-joints and M807480 Rubber plug from John Deere.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
Well I'm impressed. Very nice job. :thumbup1gif:
Do you happen to have a URL link to the u-joint you bought?
How long did it take you to install the U-Joint?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might make some people cringe to cut that hole but, it seems to do the job quite nicely. Well done. :bigthumb:
Toughsox, you just take your time and a lot of deep breaths cutting a hole in a 200 dollar cowl.:gizmo:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm impressed. Very nice job. :thumbup1gif:
Do you happen to have a URL link to the u-joint you bought?
How long did it take you to install the U-Joint?
Gizmo2, Here is where I got my U-joints :https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-U-Joint-410/192779177738?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I probably have 12 to 14 hours total time start to finish.
Here's a Youtube video showing it done on a 2320:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUb9ET_6l6o&index=4&list=FLnEaAjgmQdwFI0kbWTgk2kA&t=126s
Some thing I did different than the video was instead of prying on the flywheel to remove the driveshaft,just take the rear u-joint apart with a C-clamp and a couple sockets. Also the Zerk doesn't bottom out if you keep the caps exactly as they came, don't switch them around. I also made the rear U-joint zerk point down when the Front is pointing right(aliened with the hole) so they can both be greased in one position.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice work! :good2:

So you called it an upgrade. I'm curious if you were having issues with the OEM u-joints...were they worn/damaged due to a lack of being greased by a previous owner? I am aware of the pain they are to grease. (I'm at 64 hours on the meter and will tackle this soon as it warms up a bit.) I'm not sure I'll cut the hole in the cowl or not...haven't decided.

Reactions: lucky828

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,440 Posts
Hello All,
Well today I finished my U-joints from hell upgrade. I won't get long winded about this because there are many treads addressing it. I used Moog 410 U-joints and M807480 Rubber plug from John Deere.
Maybe a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway. Is it now possible to grease the fitting from under the tractor?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but I'm gonna ask anyway. Is it now possible to grease the fitting from under the tractor?
I went to the same U joints.
No. You can almost see the zerk, but can't get on it with a gun.
Easy with the access panel though!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Also the Zerk doesn't bottom out if you keep the caps exactly as they came, don't switch them around. I also made the rear U-joint zerk point down when the Front is pointing right(aliened with the hole) so they can both be greased in one position.
If I am reading this correctly, your u-joints are now "out of phase." If the angle is not much, probably a non-factor. If you can spare 2:40 out of your day, here's an interesting video to demonstrate. Drive shaft velocity - YouTube

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work! :good2:

So you called it an upgrade. I'm curious if you were having issues with the OEM u-joints...were they worn/damaged due to a lack of being greased by a previous owner? I am aware of the pain they are to grease. (I'm at 64 hours on the meter and will tackle this soon as it warms up a bit.) I'm not sure I'll cut the hole in the cowl or not...haven't decided.
JohnM45, I was not having issues yet, I am the second owner and plan on keeping this machine for years. I wanted to be comfortable knowing and seeing that they took grease. The OEM u-joints were still in good shape but even with the Floor off and the rear u-joint in the open I still had a 50/50 chance it would take grease.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I am reading this correctly, your u-joints are now "out of phase." If the angle is not much, probably a non-factor. If you can spare 2:40 out of your day, here's an interesting video to demonstrate. Drive shaft velocity - YouTube
Roger47, I didn't take the yokes out phase ,I just made the cap with the zerk point down on the rear U-joint and right on the front U-joint. My OCD made me mark the yokes and driveshaft so they are not even 180 from where they were factory.

Thanks.

Reactions: Roger47

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gizmo2, I don't know if its just my year 2320 or what, but there are no holes in the frame under the front U-joint to access it easily, My other option before cutting the cowl was to drill a hole in the frame to access it through but I didn't want to weaken the frame.
Thanks,

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts