Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Been looking for an implement to rake/Dethatch my grass. Stumbled across the CMP 3pt dethatcher. It looks decent and is fairly inexpensive. Have also been looking at Everything attachments pine straw rake. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Would primarily like to clean up the lawn from pine cones, needles , twigs and leaves etc. Leaning toward the Everything Attachments rake.

Everything Attaxhments 60" Pine Straw Rake - $421.00
CMP 60" Dethatcher - $299.99

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I have the pine straw rake. I like the performance and the design. Tines are individually replaceable and EA sells them. Note that this rake is not quick hitch compatible.

Last fall I dethatched my natural grass areas. Looked nice when it was done; had a good-sized pile of loose stuff that it pulled out. I tried it on my Kentucky bluegrass; probably a little too aggressive for fine turf.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Firemark,

I have the 3pt CMP Dethatcher 60" if you want to try it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the EA 60" Pine Straw rake. Use it for leaf and general yard clean-up.
Worked particularly well for cleaning up around black walnut trees.
Very well made and the folks at EA are great to deal with

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a Pine Straw Rake to prepare the surface to over-seed my lawn (tall fescue grass). Does it have enough down-force to expose the dirt at the end of the tines or does it just sort of float along and loosen the duff?

·
Registered
34 Posts
For what it’s worth, I just got the titan 5’ pine needle rake. Mounted right up to my imatch (after appropriate bushings). Ground is still wet by me so it did scrape in a bit but I would suspect it won’t do much to the grass when the ground is dry. I did a quick pass in my yard when I got it and it really does get needles and small twigs up well. Construction is what you would expect from titan but overall decent and functional. They also sell replacement tines. I paid $288 to my door.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a pull around pine straw rake that I pull with my X590.
I tie down 2 - 42 pound suitcase weights for down pressure otherwise it just rolls over stuff.
With the added weights it scrapes down pretty good.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ive not used one, and it might not matter too much, but that CMP dethatcher has straight tines. Generally, tines on a dethatcher are angled in the direction of travel to lift the thatch out of the lawn. It seemed to work ok in their video, but I wonder if it would work better with the tines angled forward.
The ones on the EA rake are angled forward. I actually have that on my wish list to use for sticks, nuts, etc. Might not work for the nuts, but it should for sticks.
Ive only used 4 different dethatchers, one small Deere, and one large, and two others, likely Agrifab (no name on them, but they look like the generic Agrifab style), so I cant say definitively that the forward angled tines are the way to go, but the ones Ive used certainly do bring up a LOT of stuff.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I bought a 60" Field Tuff rake last year. It was cheap, but it's been very durable...my only complaint is that it won't fit an iMatch, which made it unacceptably inconvenient to mount. My solution actually makes it a much more convenient implement, however, by welding in a 2" square tube to slip into the 2" receiver I usually have on that iMatch.

I can't really recommend the Field Tuff since it doesn't fit an iMatch, but I would suggest that you look at the pine straw rake from Titan Attachments. It's quite a bit cheaper, especially since shipping is free. Pine Straw Needle Rake 5 ft for Cat 1, 3 Point It's $269.99 and free shipping, compared to the $540 that EA wants for their implement....same number of tines in 60 inches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the Titan version of this rake, the 72" was around $350, from what I could tell its about the same design as the Everything Attachments unit
IMG_3823.jpg
IMG_3822.jpg
. The Titan rake also hooks up to my iMatch, with a couple of bushing adapters. I made a couple modifications to mine over the weekend to help grab more of the lawn debris. Overall I have about 500 into the rake which is still less than the EA unit. (My can of JD Yellow froze over the winter, so the paint is a little sloppy, once this lockdown is lifted I will make my way to get some yellow)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I also bought the Titan rake. The construction and quality are good, and it's Imatch compatible. Putting the tines in and assembly was a giant PITA, but it does a very good job of roughing the turf for the spring overseed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I also have a Titan pine straw rake. It's worked great for de thatching the lawn. It has also done a great job of prepping the ground for overseeding or seeding bare dirt.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
All the5-foot 3-point pine straw rakes that I've seen have the same number of tines. I can see how narrower spacing would work better for leaves, or for actual pine straw, but my primary use has been de-thatching, scarifying for overseeding, smoothing black dirt after leveling and the thing works great for that. Since the 3 pt doesn't exert any down pressure, I just drop it hard and use its own weight, but on occasion I will bungee a couple of suitcase weights either to the rake itself or to the iMatch it's attached to. It works pretty well for leaves, but works best for that if I blow them into windrows with a backpack blower and then rake up the windrows the long way.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I have been using the EA 72” Pine Straw Rake as a dethatcher for three years now and it has served me well! Awesome results! However, I just purchased the 70” CMP dethatcher. Will write up a thread on it once I receive and use it.
Sincerely

1 - 15 of 15 Posts