Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on my 54" quick hitch snowblower today. Everything went really smooth except for one thing. Trying to slide driveshaft though the front plate that has the two bearings with a hexagon. While the plate was on the floor I inserted the greased driveshaft into the first bearing then as I tried to get it to line up with the second bearing forget it, what a pain!!! I kept trying to spin the second bearing by hand and finally after 5 min worth of tries it went together. Is there an easy way to line up the two bearings. Anyone else have the same problem? Maybe I should get a piece of hex stock and use it to line up the bearings before sliding the drive shaft through. Anyway It's done and ready for action!!! Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,737 Posts
Sadly... there really isn't an easy way or any tricks. Sometimes the hex slides right through both bearings and sometimes it fights you. Normally, if you don't manually rotate the bearings after you remove the shaft they will be fairly lined up for the next time you install it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I assume it is similar to how the 2305 set up works? I just leave the shaft attached to the quick hitch bracket. It hasn't been in the way when plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have found that keeping the drive shaft in the bearings taking it off and putting it on is easier. First hang the carrier assembly to the front of the tractor. Then slide the shaft forward in the bearings so it can be fitted to the pto drive at the differential drive. It don’t slide easy unless pushing right on the hex end shaft. The angle of the drive shaft causes a bit of a side load inhibiting it from sliding if you push on the shaft.

The closer the bearings are aligned in the carrier with the hex the easier the shaft will slide in them. Of course lubrication is a must.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Yep, I’ve never found an easy way, so I just leave the driveshaft attached so it’s all one unit.

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Majority of the time no problem, like you had problem lining up the second second bearing. I finally sprayed WD40 or some type silicone spray on the shaft , bearing or both. Still had to rotate the second bearing but it seemed go easier after spraying both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put on my 54" quick hitch snowblower today. Everything went really smooth except for one thing. Trying to slide driveshaft though the front plate that has the two bearings with a hexagon. While the plate was on the floor I inserted the greased driveshaft into the first bearing then as I tried to get it to line up with the second bearing forget it, what a pain!!! I kept trying to spin the second bearing by hand and finally after 5 min worth of tries it went together. Is there an easy way to line up the two bearings. Anyone else have the same problem? Maybe I should get a piece of hex stock and use it to line up the bearings before sliding the drive shaft through. Anyway It's done and ready for action!!! Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!!!!!!
I loosen the bolts on the two bearings and re-tighten after I get the shaft through.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Leave the PTO shaft in the bearing and use a Spring-pin like KEANE shows in his write-up to hold the shaft in the bearing while you attach the shaft to the PTO.

Reactions: mikdor

·
Registered
284 Posts
Reactions: keane and BigJim55

·
Registered
30 Posts
Love the big clip idea, always afraid of it falling back out as I take the driveshaft off throughout the winter so I can use my bucket.

Reactions: keane
1 - 12 of 12 Posts