Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful of these seemingly simple and innocent looking devices...

I went one round with one today and lost, but luckily only my pride (and temper) and not my eye.

IMG_4530.jpg

In the famous words of Sergeant Phil Esterhaus:

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
Ouch! Man, that was close.....

Been there - done that before. I noticed the common rubber variety has changed over the years just like everything else. Luckily I have a pretty good supply of the older ones - just have to inspect them before using for cracks due to age.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Ouch!! Whew, that was close!! That's one of those things that you say "I can't believe that happened"!

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch! Man, that was close.....

Been there - done that before. I noticed the common rubber variety has changed over the years just like everything else. Luckily I have a pretty good supply of the older ones - just have to inspect them before using for cracks due to age.
Yeah, it was close!
No breakage-it just slipped while trying to hook it. :banghead:

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
I'd mail it to Gizmo.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Good thing there wasn't a Twist Lock Hook on the end of that bungie cord. You'd have been seeing Care Bears!

Glad that you are ok.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I guy that I used to work with did just that. He was stretching a long one over the top of his vacation bags that were sitting on top of a station wagon roof rack. Yeah the old kind. Lol
When he just about had it hooked to the rack the other side let loose. Puh-Pow right next to his eye!
He could hardly see out of it for a long time.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
I try to remember to put on my safety glasses whenever I go to "work" in my shop or the yard. There are a lot more hazards than we can even count or anticipate, and we usually are focused on something else. I've had some close calls, too.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Bungees ..like Drugs are Bad.

Never have your face in line of stretch.

I use them ..I hate them..Always turn away when strechin the little F&^k&r's.

You were most Fortunate not to lose an eye...while you have another...Its a tough road to move on with one.

I have a close friend that has managed from an early age..( was shot by a unknown Perp from across many acres).Therapy /Karate classes/ helped to regain His Balance and perception.
Try driving with one eye..it sucks.
He still struggles and driving is a real PITA. Your Depth perception is Gone.

You Dodged a Bullit my friend and hopefully this thread will educate ALL who read it.

Stay Safe

Dan in Oregon

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I try to remember to put on my safety glasses whenever I go to "work" in my shop or the yard. There are a lot more hazards than we can even count or anticipate, and we usually are focused on something else. I've had some close calls, too.
One day I'm cutting grass on my tractor. Next thing I know Puh-Pow right in the safety glasses. The debris was thrown from my helpers string trimmer working near by.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Getting to be a little more common place to wear safety glasses.

I've got several pairs here and there and most often wear them, but not always.

If I ever loose an eye to an accident it will be my own fault but that is part of life.

Near misses are great because they raise a level of awareness and they usually only hurt a little bit.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks for posting, Ken, a great reminder. It is a danger that is very easily overlooked. Glad it didn't end up worse.

·
Registered
21,458 Posts
Yes - a good reminder Randy. Also a very good reminder from rtgt about safety glasses. I wear eyeglasses all the time that aren't safety glasses but have a pair of safety glasses in the shop that will fit over my eyeglasses. While in the shop I am pretty good at using them but not when out and doing something around the truck etc.

I bought a pair of safety glasses earlier this year that have the bifocals in them (cheap $10 jobs) thanks to the suggestions on a thread here at GTT. They are sun glasses but have worked extremely well for me mowing and trimming. I always wear safety glasses when mowing - got nailed a couple times mostly from nut shells around the hickory and walnut trees when they kick up and ricochet off the tree back at me.

For as much time as I spend outside I really should have safety glasses as my regular glasses - or a second pair for working outside. I will have to see what the cost would be for prescription safety glasses next time I go to the eye doc.

Forgot to add - this all reminds me of the old swing-shut chain binders (term?) - God I hated those things. I still have 4 of them hanging in the barn - gives me shivers every time I look at them.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:soapbox:

The problem is, we get very comfortable with everyday tasks that become routine including tractor stuff and it is to let our guard down. I find that if I take my time and slow down and think about what I am doing it helps a great deal. The problem is, you can let your guard down for a split second and then you are in trouble. And sometimes no matter how careful you are, accidents happen. There is nothing that you are doing that can't be given the proper time to be thought about. This includes all aspects or our lives. We seem to have become a society of "nothing can wait", with our cell phones and text messaging, driving, and work. Just try slowing down and enjoy life a little more. :thumbup1gif: I am not pointing fingers at anyone just a little enlightenment to all. Everyone, be safe.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
Thanks for posting, Ken, a great reminder. It is a danger that is very easily overlooked. Glad it didn't end up worse.
:soapbox:

The problem is, we get very comfortable with everyday tasks that become routine including tractor stuff and it is to let our guard down. I find that if I take my time and slow down and think about what I am doing it helps a great deal. The problem is, you can let your guard down for a split second and then you are in trouble. And sometimes no matter how careful you are, accidents happen. There is nothing that you are doing that can't be given the proper time to be thought about. This includes all aspects or our lives. We seem to have become a society of "nothing can wait", with our cell phones and text messaging, driving, and work. Just try slowing down and enjoy life a little more. :thumbup1gif: I am not pointing fingers at anyone just a little enlightenment to all. Everyone, be safe.
Good posts Randy.:thumbup1gif:
Thanks for the reminder Kennyd. :thumbup1gif:

Every time one of those little suckers hit me I wonder WHY I still use them.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts