Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was cleaning out the garage, I found all of the different things (see the attached pic) I’ve used over the years to store my deck. I couldn’t believe it after realizing I’ve spent about $500. Each method worked to some extent but I'm finally done searching...and spending.

The first thing I bought was an engine hoist. The problem with that when trying to lift the deck it would hit the legs on the hoist because the center of the deck was not directly underneath the hoist’s lift hook. I ended up scratching the deck too much so I built a homemade deck cart made from 2x4s, 4x4s, and caster wheels. This was an improvement. I could maneuver around the benches and stuff in the garage. The major downfall was that I kept putting more stuff in the garage and the footprint of the cart was taking up too much room and after I removed the deck from the cart the empty cart still took up too much room.

Next was a poor man’s set of axles similar to Larrys axles. They worked but then I found that I needed to be able to move the deck around obstacles in the garage and these axles didn’t ‘steer’.

Lastly, I’m using the swiveling axles from deckaxles.com. They turn like the wood cart I made but when I’m done using them, I can store them in a toolbox.

Hopefully I can recoup some of that $500 I’ve spent to get to this point by selling a barely used engine hoist.:)

storage evolution.JPG

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Great pics!

I think we all go through similar stuff - searching for the "Perfect Solution" to whatever the problem de'jour is. I know my garage is full of stuff like that. :) My collection also includes plenty of just the components where I never got around to actually trying to put the idea in to practice... usually because I realized it was probably a dumb idea!

Most of the time I would have been money ahead by just buying the professional, "expensive" solution rather than trying to cobble something together to save a few bucks. It really makes me jealous when I see guys on here that have amazing imaginations and the fabrication skills to match!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Been doing this looking for the perfect fuel options. Would love to have some sort of 30 to 50 gallon container that’s pallet fork ready and fits in mid size truck bed. 12 volt pump, filter, and handle without breaking the bank. Still looking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Been doing this looking for the perfect fuel options. Would love to have some sort of 30 to 50 gallon container that’s pallet fork ready and fits in mid size truck bed. 12 volt pump, filter, and handle without breaking the bank. Still looking.
I'm less than 1 mile from a gas station with Diesel. I've driven the tractor past it going back and forth from our property, but haven't yet just pulled in to have a fill up. I wonder what they would do if I went to the "full service" side of the island?

·
Registered
111 Posts
As I was cleaning out the garage, I found all of the different things (see the attached pic) I’ve used over the years to store my deck. I couldn’t believe it after realizing I’ve spent about $500. Each method worked to some extent but I'm finally done searching...and spending.

The first thing I bought was an engine hoist. The problem with that when trying to lift the deck it would hit the legs on the hoist because the center of the deck was not directly underneath the hoist’s lift hook. I ended up scratching the deck too much so I built a homemade deck cart made from 2x4s, 4x4s, and caster wheels. This was an improvement. I could maneuver around the benches and stuff in the garage. The major downfall was that I kept putting more stuff in the garage and the footprint of the cart was taking up too much room and after I removed the deck from the cart the empty cart still took up too much room.

Next was a poor man’s set of axles similar to Larrys axles. They worked but then I found that I needed to be able to move the deck around obstacles in the garage and these axles didn’t ‘steer’.

Lastly, I’m using the swiveling axles from deckaxles.com. They turn like the wood cart I made but when I’m done using them, I can store them in a toolbox.

Hopefully I can recoup some of that $500 I’ve spent to get to this point by selling a barely used engine hoist.:)

View attachment 753858
Those deckaxles look nice. What size deck do you have? I have a 54". Have you had to do anything special to keep gear box oil from draining out the vent hole? I saw some posts about that elsewhere on GTT, but I haven't yet tried the vertical storage option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part of my issue is that I should just throw away all of the stuff that I no longer use but I make the mistake of keeping it. I need to convince myself that I'll never go back to using the engine hoist for lifting my deck for maintenance. Why am I keeping the 3 other now-unused deck storage items when I have something that works great?!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm less than 1 mile from a gas station with Diesel. I've driven the tractor past it going back and forth from our property, but haven't yet just pulled in to have a fill up. I wonder what they would do if I went to the "full service" side of the island?
I'm with you guys. Currently don't use enough gas or fuel for large storage needs. I could be content with 15 gallons of each and a nice pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: ryegrass

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those deckaxles look nice. What size deck do you have? I have a 54". Have you had to do anything special to keep gear box oil from draining out the vent hole? I saw some posts about that elsewhere on GTT, but I haven't yet tried the vertical storage option.
I have two 60" decks. I've been storing them vertically for several years. I never had an issue with the gear box relief valve leaking until three winters ago. I ended doing another hack--I just duct taped the relief valve in the closed position. It hasn't leaked since on either deck.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
The big expense there is the electric pump. You may be able to just let the fuel run out of the tank if it's higher than the tank you're filling.

·
Registered
314 Posts
...I never had an issue with the gear box relief valve leaking until three winters ago....
I have a theory that the weeping may be due to temperature changes causing pressure changes in the gearbox. I've read that some people think that over time it may be rust not causing the breather valve to seal but that thing is splashed with oil, I don't think it would rust the internals.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Maybe find yourself a 30 gallon diesel drum, and a hand crank pump. Or go electric. Set the drum on a dolly, that's forkable.
Set it in the back of your pick-up, and go fill it.
When you get home, roll it where it's needed, or outside where needed.

Oops, I just re-iterated most of what you just said.
I need more coffee!!

·
Premium Member
9,647 Posts
I didn't know such levels of service still existed. Isn't it New Jersey where they require a gas station attendant and full service fuel sales?

They might struggle to wash your windshield but other than that, it should be a good visit.

Reactions: akneppar

·
Premium Member
9,647 Posts
Depends how big your bank is before "breaking it"........This tank is 106 gallons and fully self contained with pump and all.

Turns out they also sell a 58 gallon tank, price is under $799

Reactions: Yank and ryegrass

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have two 60" decks. I've been storing them vertically for several years. I never had an issue with the gear box relief valve leaking until three winters ago. I ended doing another hack--I just duct taped the relief valve in the closed position. It hasn't leaked since on either deck.
Sorry to hear it started leaking, but thanks for sharing your hack. I think I'm going to have to try this approach this winter. Question for me is whether I'm going to try to drill 3 holes in a pipe and make my own or just buy them. I have several 3" casters already that I could use...just need pipe.

·
Registered
988 Posts

View attachment 753858
How do the deckaxles install? Do you remove one of the casters or...?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear it started leaking, but thanks for sharing your hack. I think I'm going to have to try this approach this winter. Question for me is whether I'm going to try to drill 3 holes in a pipe and make my own or just buy them. I have several 3" casters already that I could use...just need pipe.
Whether you make or buy them, I bet you'll be very happy that your deck is not taking up room on your floor. I think the caster deckaxles.com uses are 4".

·
Registered
23,513 Posts
Sorry to hear it started leaking, but thanks for sharing your hack.
Why not just use a pipe plug? When storing it for the winter simply remove the vent and install the plug. Don’t know the size for sure but it’s likely either 1/8” or 1/4”.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I bought a set of Deck Axles from a fellow member here. They're 1" solid shaft, turned down to the axle diameter of the wheels.
They're a pretty slick way of standing the deck on it's side, but standing the deck up, after they're in place, manually, it's quite a chore to do!!
I see some have the castor wheels, which may be better. My shop floor is smooth concrete, so sliding the deck sideways is pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Why not just use a pipe plug? When storing it for the winter simply remove the vent and install the plug. Don’t know the size for sure but it’s likely either 1/8” or 1/4”.
It's 1/8". Picked one up at my local Ace Hardware. Just be sure you remember to reinstall the vent before mounting the deck to begin the season. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts