Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While clearing snow this week, I was thinking back to my "Glory Days of Snow Clearing". Ah, yes the good ole days when a face full of snow from the blower didn't bother me. I remember when the more snow I had to clear, the better. The spout was always wide open on the blower and I loved to see the white stuff rocketing through the air. I would go out and clear my driveway as well as the driveway's of my 3 nearest neighbors. And I was out there clearing just the slightest bit of accumulation off the driveway.

And then, I bought a pair of goggles as a poor man's cab, and it all seemed to start changing. Now, I have the spout control and carefully place the snow, very little rocketing and more piles. I use the rear blade more. There needs to be at least 4" of accumulation before I even start to contemplate going out. I only do 1 neighbor.

I attribute this to a few things. My work situation has changed from mostly office work to mostly outdoor work (this is the biggie). Also neighborhood tensions play a part. And perhaps age, I just seem to be cold more often and for longer periods of time. Oh well, I still get seat time, which allows for this deep reflection time apparently!:laugh:

How have your habits changed/evolved and why?

·
Registered
23,272 Posts
Nothing much has changed - except for me.....

Same driveway for 20 years now - and no neighbors.

The only thing that has changed is me - I used to be all over the snow as soon as it stopped - but I had to get it done when I could when I was working. Also couldn't stand not having it done - just like I can't stand to look at my yard if it needs mowed.

Now - I don't have to go anywhere - and the cold really gets into my joints. So now the snow may sit on the driveway for days before I clean it up. Then I take my time as I have to do it in 20-30 minute sessions.

But still enjoy any seat time I get.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well now that i have the tractor it's much easier.
Used to rely on the quad plow and walk behind snow blower.
I also now have my 11 year old son Jamie and the wife trained to shovel all the walks and deck off. That has become their job for the most part.
Years of me stressing it all has to be cleared or it will freeze seems to be working with them.:laugh:

Reactions: Levi and ColonyPark

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I had been using the tractor loader to clear snow since about 1983. I also have an Ariens 10-32 walk behind that I used for the walkways in front of and behind the properties. Since moving to my current property I've switched to using a front mounted snow blower due to the length of the driveway @ 850' and the hilly terrain. I've also learned to appreciate the comforts of a cab and recently installed heater. They say you never missed it if you never had it. I guess that's true and it would be near impossible to do it the old way!!

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing much has changed - except for me.....

Same driveway for 20 years now - and no neighbors.

The only thing that has changed is me - I used to be all over the snow as soon as it stopped - but I had to get it done when I could when I was working. Also couldn't stand not having it done - just like I can't stand to look at my yard if it needs mowed.

Now - I don't have to go anywhere - and the cold really gets into my joints. So now the snow may sit on the driveway for days before I clean it up. Then I take my time as I have to do it in 20-30 minute sessions.

But still enjoy any seat time I get.
Seat time is what it is all about!:thumbup1gif:

Well now that i have the tractor it's much easier.
Used to rely on the quad plow and walk behind snow blower.
I also now have my 11 year old son Jamie and the wife trained to shovel all the walks and deck off. That has become their job for the most part.
Years of me stressing it all has to be cleared or it will freeze seems to be working with them.:laugh:
Ahhh yes, the stressing, I remember that. Luckily I have been able to let that go. Besides, Mrs. CP stresses enough for the both of us and then some!:lol:

I had been using the tractor loader to clear snow since about 1983. I also have an Ariens 10-32 walk behind that I used for the walkways in front of and behind the properties. Since moving to my current property I've switched to using a front mounted snow blower due to the length of the driveway @ 850' and the hilly terrain. I've also learned to appreciate the comforts of a cab and recently installed heater. They say you never missed it if you never had it. I guess that's true and it would be near impossible to do it the old way!!
I am probably better off without the cab, because you are right. What I don't know, won't hurt me.:lol:

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I don't think much has changed for me. I some what enjoy plowing snow. Learned along time ago when I was just a kid not to try to blow snow into the wind.:lol::drinks:

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let the wind be your friend, work with it, not against it! Great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,042 Posts
Before buying my own tractor , would use the FIL , would do his , BIL, church parking lot and my own. No cab and only rwd and front plow.
Bought mine, about 2000 after the first yr and doing this more in the evenings , getting older, needed a cab . Have had a OTC since then but about 8 yrs or more ago found a heater for the cab. Now doing 12-19 driveways everytime I go out. All total about 2-3 hrs ,plus using blower more now than than front blade.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
While clearing snow this week, I was thinking back to my "Glory Days of Snow Clearing". Ah, yes the good ole days when a face full of snow from the blower didn't bother me. I remember when the more snow I had to clear, the better. The spout was always wide open on the blower and I loved to see the white stuff rocketing through the air. I would go out and clear my driveway as well as the driveway's of my 3 nearest neighbors. And I was out there clearing just the slightest bit of accumulation off the driveway.

And then, I bought a pair of goggles as a poor man's cab, and it all seemed to start changing. Now, I have the spout control and carefully place the snow, very little rocketing and more piles. I use the rear blade more. There needs to be at least 4" of accumulation before I even start to contemplate going out. I only do 1 neighbor.

I attribute this to a few things. My work situation has changed from mostly office work to mostly outdoor work (this is the biggie). Also neighborhood tensions play a part. And perhaps age, I just seem to be cold more often and for longer periods of time. Oh well, I still get seat time, which allows for this deep reflection time apparently!:laugh:

How have your habits changed/evolved and why?
Yep, bought the poor man's cab too. But over the years I have been in this home, I have changed a lot of things. The first year I was here, the driveway was not paved. There was a two foot dip in the center of the drive from where it meets the road to the top of the drive. Every time we had 2 or three inches of snow I had two foot deep drifts in that dip. Perfectly level with the start and the end of the drive. When I was going to pave, I had several blacktop contractors in for quotes. When I told each of them that I wanted to build the drive up so it was level from the street to the top, they all thought I was crazy, except one. Well the others I told them if you do not want to do it my way, hit the road. Long story short, the contractor that did it used a transit to assure that the slope was without the dip. That solved a lot of my drifts with a couple of inches. The wind blows pretty hard at my little homestead. There is a mountain range just over the knoll that creates a venturi effect. Yep like an old time carburetor. I have seen gusty thunderstorms come in and the clouds part over that area, due to the increased pressure and increased wind speed aimed right at my home..... Anyway, the next fix was to start cutting windrows in the yard with the blower to get the snow to drop out like a snow fence. Piled up the snow with a low pointed spout at an angle. This year, I started to cut one parallel to the drive. Has stopped all of the drifting into the drive. Thinking about getting some actual snow fence next year. Keep saying that every year.... I guess seat time is just to much fun. Put up a new building to house my new girlfriend (tractor) which has created more drifting at the top of the drive.... Oh well, more fun!! And boy has it been drifting this year. Many days the wind is blowing 30 to 35 MPH. steady.... Really looking hard at those cabs though.... I am 2o years older than when I got here, and the wind is starting to get to me.:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yep, bought the poor man's cab too. But over the years I have been in this home, I have changed a lot of things. The first year I was here, the driveway was not paved. There was a two foot dip in the center of the drive from where it meets the road to the top of the drive. Every time we had 2 or three inches of snow I had two foot deep drifts in that dip. Perfectly level with the start and the end of the drive. When I was going to pave, I had several blacktop contractors in for quotes. When I told each of them that I wanted to build the drive up so it was level from the street to the top, they all thought I was crazy, except one. Well the others I told them if you do not want to do it my way, hit the road. Long story short, the contractor that did it used a transit to assure that the slope was without the dip. That solved a lot of my drifts with a couple of inches. The wind blows pretty hard at my little homestead. There is a mountain range just over the knoll that creates a venturi effect. Yep like an old time carburetor. I have seen gusty thunderstorms come in and the clouds part over that area, due to the increased pressure and increased wind speed aimed right at my home..... Anyway, the next fix was to start cutting windrows in the yard with the blower to get the snow to drop out like a snow fence. Piled up the snow with a low pointed spout at an angle. This year, I started to cut one parallel to the drive. Has stopped all of the drifting into the drive. Thinking about getting some actual snow fence next year. Keep saying that every year.... I guess seat time is just to much fun. Put up a new building to house my new girlfriend (tractor) which has created more drifting at the top of the drive.... Oh well, more fun!! And boy has it been drifting this year. Many days the wind is blowing 30 to 35 MPH. steady.... Really looking hard at those cabs though.... I am 2o years older than when I got here, and the wind is starting to get to me.:flag_of_truce:
Snow fence is pretty good system.
We've always had alot along the roads where i live.
It works without a doubt.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Would you believe that PennDot (Pennsylvania) no longer puts up snow fence? They prefer to run up and down the state road in front of my house plowing and salting for days on end after the storm. They are SO DUMB......:crazy::cry:

·
Premium Member
15,042 Posts
Would you believe that PennDot (Pennsylvania) no longer puts up snow fence? They prefer to run up and down the state road in front of my house plowing and salting for days on end after the storm. They are SO DUMB......:crazy::cry:
Same here in PA. The one township near us didn't put up snow fence for about 10 yrs. This road was always blown shut and people complained. Some of the farmers told the township they would store the snow fence and repair if needed if township would help install and remove. In some cases the property owner will even put up the snow fence.
Has worked fine since they started putting up the snow fence. Fri and week ago had snow drifts across 1/2 of the road and only 12-15" deep instead of being 2-3' (or deeper) and across the same road. This year being a light snow season, haven't seen the drifts like past winters. Even with snow fence I've seen drifts 12' and higher on this same stretch of road . Of course this was after the road had been blown or using a excavator.

·
Registered
754 Posts
County DOT didn't get the snow fence up across the road from my house because of the late combining of the corn because it didn't dry down. First time in over tens years we didn't have snow fence. Also that year I took a snow day off work and pulled over a dozen cars out of a 4-5 foot deep drift from the bank across the road that ran clear into our front yard. I made $100 pulling people out that day. Also, Cadillac drivers are cheap, don't pull them out. Let them wait for Triple A!

It wasn't a problem not having snow fence until about early Feb. When we had a real windy day after a small snowfall. My mailbox disappeared into a four foot deep snow drift. I ABSOLUTELY HATE plowing snow on our county road! All the people on cell phones or texting refuse to give me any room on the road, it's like they're playing chicken with me. So I call the highway superintendent. Fifteen minutes later the first snow plow truck was there looking for my mailbox. Thirty minutes after the truck got there the big Volvo grader with wing and angle blade showed up. Half hour later I had a mailbox again. Couple hours later the articulated endloader showed up and in ten minutes had over 100 feet of snow drift from the road piled in the corn field.

The County made sure they got the snow fence up this year.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Using the equip to make a snow fence, great idea we have been lucky this year with winds, almost non existant

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Using the equip to make a snow fence, great idea we have been lucky this year with winds, almost non existant

I actually was thinking that a lot of people running past the home thought I had lost my ball bearings. Glad others see the value to it.:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Levi and ColonyPark

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Plowing for a long time

Until last year, I cleared snow for the last 27 years with a JD model 314 garden tractor. I bought it used in '85 when it was 7 years old (and had already had the engine rebuilt once). I added the front hydraulics in '87 along with a front blade. It was great for light snows. When the snow was deep and wet, the tractor was too light. If I angled the blade, the snow would just slide the tractor sideways instead of moving through the snow. To get through heavy snow, I would have to drive straight into it and pack it into an ice block, then lift the blade over it, chop it off, and drag it backwards. Sometimes I could only clear about 3 feet of snow from my long driveway at a time. And then I had to dig out a few neighbors, too. I was out there for hours at a time. With no power steering, my arms were always sore after one these heavy snows. For the last 2 years, we had many of the heavy snows. It looked like a trend.

So last year it dawned on me that I was only going to own one more tractor in my life given the first one had given me ~35 years. So I sold the old one (for about half of what I paid 29 years ago) and made the investment in a 1025R. And I got a snow blower in addition to the front blade. The weight of the 1025R and the power steering make a world of difference. I haven't needed chains and I've only used MFWD once so far. And, of course, we've had much less snow than in recent years. But I really like knowing I'm ready for it when it comes.

Keane

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great story Keane, thanks for sharing it

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
404 Posts
Been removing snow for over 40 years
Began with a shovel and snow pusher (BY HAND) (only if I had to)
Next with a 8HP craftsman walk behind (OK)
Next a Ariens 12 HP (gas) lawn tractor front mounted snowblower (Better)
Next a Kubota G model (diesel) (no hydraulics) with front mounted snowblower and plow (Not much better) (only had it 6 months)
Next a JD X595 with front mounted snowblower and front blade (Better)
Next added a Cozy cab and heater etc. to the X595 (Better still)
Lastly a JD 3320 cab tractor with front mounted snowblower and front mounted angling plow (Best for me)
I'M happy as a clam removing snow now.

Used to wait for the snow to accumulate
Now I use any excuse to jump into the cab

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
AWD vehicles have cut required snow removal down by a bunch here. I wait until the storm ends or we have 16" on the driveway, whichever comes first.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
When we lived in southern Michigan we used shovels. Had a 165 Ford garden tractor with no blade. Next tractor was a 425 AWS with a blade. Moved to Tn. before the snow came that year. Not enough snow here to warrant anything more then a shovel and broom, both hand operated. Since I bought this 1026 with a bucket I've used it once to remove snow. Just to see what it would be like, not that it was needed. Unbelievable? Here is proof. winter in MI..JPG My wife. winter in MI. 1.JPG Me. winter in MI. 2.JPG Vehicle of choice as the car is covered up. winter in MI. 4.JPG Even if I got it stuck (on purpose), the shovels were used and the Jeep remained the vehicle of choice. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts