Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I purchased a non-John Deere belt for my LA110. It lasted almost exactly one year. Then it cracked in several places and the outside material frayed. I replaced the belt with an 8TEN Deck Belt. It lasted about 3 hours, then fell off the front pulley. On several websites I have read to "examine idlers for wear and bad bearings." Can someone explain exactly what I am looking for and what signs point to replacing these?

This thread has some good info (never read about using the level before), but I'm still unsure specifically what I am looking for -- what's good and what's bad.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Your first issue is your belt! JD uses a different angle (37º) compared to most belts (40º). The correct belt should give you 5-10 years of service.
To "examine idlers": Remove belt and spin idler with your finger and listen. It should be relatively quiet and no grinding sound. Grab idler will fingers and try to lift up/push down idler... it shouldn't have vertical movement. Try "tilting" pulley...push one side down, lift other side up, then front down, rear up. Pulley should not "tilt". If you have pulleys mounted on spring loaded arms, rotate arm and check if free, then try to lift one end... they shouldn't lift! Finally, lay a straight edge...a STRAIGHT piece of wood will work... across the top of pulleys to check if they're aligned. do some checks and report back. Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts