Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This here is 160 pavers, 3.88 pounds each for 621 lbs total. Add 40 for the pallet and you get about 660 lbs on the forks.

It is about the maximum that I can put on a pallet and still lift it up from about 3ft high. That is, the empty pallet is put on top of a full pallet of pavers that is about three feet high, then loaded up with the 160 pavers. I can just barely lift it from that height.

Note that the center of gravity of the full pallet is nearly 2 ft forward of the fork frame. I am sure that another hundred pounds or so could be lifted if the pavers were stacked higher and closer to the fork frame.

I found that bringing the pavers in as shown in the picture is very convenient. I can reach most of them from a kneeling position without having to carry very many of them to where they need to be placed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Your work looks great. :good2:Nice job.....

The last pavers I used similar to that color, I used Cherry Stone Chick Grit as the sweep in filler between the blocks. Through our local farm mill, it's $12 per 100 pounds. Some of the prices online are just nuts, at $1 per pound for the exact same material.

This material comes in a variety of sizes so make sure you are getting the smallest size, which is 1/16th or smaller or they call it "Number 1". The mill operators call it "Chick Grit" and the larger sizes are "Chicken Grit", "Turkey Grit", etc.

Since the birds don't have teeth for chewing, they ingest the grit and it grinds up their food in their gizzards. The birds should ingest as much as 10% of their diet in the "rocks" to help them get nutrients.

I have done a few landscape projects lately with landscape blocks and have three different projects planned for spring.
I found "staging" the pallets with materials as you are doing, so I don't have to get up to retrieve the material when working, makes the process go much smoother and faster. Plus its easier on my back.

The curl function on the FEL will lift the load when the vertical lift no longer can. Just be careful unloading anything near lifting limits from heights above the tractors hood because as you sit down the loads, they drop very quickly due to the weight making the tractor "bounce" even with the proper ballast.......

These machines with FEL and pallet forks are so incredibly helpful and efficient......:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
I limit my 1026R to about a 500 lb lift for any height above just 'ground clearance'. Moving your bricks as you did is perfect.

BTW ~ super job on the brick layout.

Your work looks great. :good2:Nice job.....

The last pavers I used similar to that color, I used Cherry Stone Chick Grit as the sweep in filler between the blocks. Through our local farm mill, it's $12 per 100 pounds. Some of the prices online are just nuts, at $1 per pound for the exact same material.

This material comes in a variety of sizes so make sure you are getting the smallest size, which is 1/16th or smaller or they call it "Number 1". The mill operators call it "Chick Grit" and the larger sizes are "Chicken Grit", "Turkey Grit", etc.

Since the birds don't have teeth for chewing, they ingest the grit and it grinds up their food in their gizzards. The birds should ingest as much as 10% of their diet in the "rocks" to help them get nutrients.

I have done a few landscape projects lately with landscape blocks and have three different projects planned for spring.
I found "staging" the pallets with materials as you are doing, so I don't have to get up to retrieve the material when working, makes the process go much smoother and faster. Plus its easier on my back.

The curl function on the FEL will lift the load when the vertical lift no longer can. Just be careful unloading anything near lifting limits from heights above the tractors hood because as you sit down the loads, they drop very quickly due to the weight making the tractor "bounce" even with the proper ballast.......

These machines with FEL and pallet forks are so incredibly helpful and efficient......:bigthumb:

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
If they were Artillians, you could of had a 12 pack on the pavers as well.
Just sayin'.
:lol:
Question is: Is that Pepsi or Bud Light? :unknown:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You Might wanna raise it up a foot or so when inspecting your work. Wouldn’t want to get a crick in your back reaching for your beer

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small update: I didn't realize that my stacker had left more than the standard 160 pavers on a pallet. I was able to lift then curl it enough to get it completely up off the the full pallet but when lowered I could not get it to raise more than a few inches off the ground - not even curl, but enough to get to where I need to go. Due to the geometry of the curl linkage, the curl has much more force when the cylinder is extended a bit - such as when having the forks level a few feet off the ground. When down low the geometry is not so good - so less curling force.

Turns out there was 222 pavers on that pallet - that's right at 900 pounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great looking project so far. Please share photos of the completed job. You view looks amazing as well.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: PickupMan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not quite 900 lbs but I have to stack these cinder block pallets 3 high. Each pallet weighs 700 pounds ( 35 pounds per cinder block, 20 on a pallet). I have about 200 cinder blocks that I need to move twice a year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I am surprised how much it carries. If me I would make more then 10 trips so I could drive faster? I know when my 4044M is loaded up with say 1200 lbs on the loader I just don't enjoy the ride the same. I don't like pucker factor kicking in now an then when rolling around with the load up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not quite 900 lbs but I have to stack these cinder block pallets 3 high. Each pallet weighs 700 pounds ( 35 pounds per cinder block, 20 on a pallet). I have about 200 cinder blocks that I need to move twice a year.
Relevant to the thread: if you make your stack higher towards the pivot point, you might be able to squeak a little more capacity...on the curl at least.

Not relevant (hijacking) - dude, is that solar farm single house residential?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes that is a single residence solar farm. I am just about off the grid. I tried to stack closer to the pivot point but it makes the pallets to high. I put my cinder blocks pallet piles behind the solar panels when I am not using them. So I am height constrained not length constrained.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes that is a single residence solar farm. I am just about off the grid. I tried to stack closer to the pivot point but it makes the pallets to high. I put my cinder blocks pallet piles behind the solar panels when I am not using them. So I am height constrained not length constrained.
Yea, I saw your cinder blocks probably couldn't get closer to the pivot point, but I mainly saying that to the OP with his pavers. I did a paver project a couple of weeks ago and I made stair-step stacks.

As for your solar farm...that's a goal of mine. I have the acreage to put them on a stand like that with a south-facing vantage point. Just need to find the resources to allocate to it.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts
I’m curious why you have to move your blocks several times a year?

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ken I was wondering when someone was going to ask that question. I have a outdoor very large tropical garden (couple of acres) with lots of citrus trees, palms, etc. So during the winter I have to cover and heat my trees and plants to protect them from the cold. I need to use the cinder blocks as weight to hold down the covers. The citrus trees are about 10 feet high. I do get a lot of citrus and a good workout. I am getting ready to rent a 45 foot lift so I can cover two of my large windmill palms. What can I say I am a frustrated Floridian living in Delaware. As a side note I bought your 1025r tie downs and getting ready to install.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts
Wow, thats impressive!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
900lbs is darn impressive. That's not far off i believe from the rating on my old model 75 loader on my LCUT.

Maybe this is a dumb question but will a 1025 lift a heaping bucket of crushed stone with no trouble?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts