Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Wow, thats impressive!
Impressive is right!! WOW! Just WOW!! :bigthumb:

Ken if your every near the Delaware beaches, I will give you a tour of the gardens.
Can I come too?? :laugh:

How do you keep the outdoor trees/plants warm? Is just covering them with plastic enough? While I'm not a "frustrated Floridian", my other half and I do love going down there a few times a year. I'd love to have some citrus trees here, but figured it would be a losing battle. My daughter's boyfriend gave me a banana tree plant this spring and I just brought it into my office for the winter. Hoping it survives - I need to get it closer to the south facing window.

I'd love to see more of your place and learn more about the solar, your greenhouses, etc. Looks like you've got an absolutely amazing homestead!! :good2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Remember the old fashion C7 Christmas lights. Each strand puts out 175 watts. Depending on the size of the citrus tree I use between 3 to 4 strands. I get my C7 lights at Home Depot and buy a Thermo at Lowe’s to control the lights. They come on at 37 degrees and go off at 53 degrees. With my covers and lights inside the orange trees they have survived minus 1 degrees. At that temp they were 22 degrees inside the cover. We have people stopping by all the time in the summer wanting to tour the gardens. It’s a lot of work. I used to have a JD 445 with a Fel. Traded it in on a 1025R and one of my best purchases. Moved and spread over 900 bags of mulch nuggets. If I still had the 445 I would still be moving the mulch. At best it could lift 275 pounds maybe 3 feet high.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe this is a dumb question but will a 1025 lift a heaping bucket of crushed stone with no trouble?
I can lift a full bucket (54") of damp sand to full height, but if I uncurl on the way up (uncurling shifts the weight further forward), then I may not be able to reach full height. Damp sand and gravel weigh pretty much the same. I consider a "full" bucket to be one where I have scooped up as much as possible without going to too much extra effort to pack as much in as possible. I have been doing this a lot lately as I have been screening tons of gravely sand in order to separate out the rocks.

I can lift a full "heaping" bucket of damp sand, but not to full height.

Usually when I carry gravel or rocks the bucket will be full, but not heaping. Recently I dismantled a rock wall, I would completely fill the bucket with football sized basalt rocks until I could not fit any more without them falling out. I had no trouble lifting it three to four feet high so that I could dump them. Didn't try to lift any higher.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts