Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All...

Wanted to share this here. Finally have a plan to get my wife an exercise spa. Being disabled, she needs a way to just float, move around some, etc. She is beyond excited. The tough thing was find a small spa deeper that 52" and a lift that will clear it. Most lifts, if they go over 56", they also end up near 12 foot tall fully extended. Finally found one that will not go that high when fully extended. So we will actually be converting our garage so to speak into a spa room, mainly for privacy, etc.

Here is the spa, it has to be at least 46" in water depth with her stuck joints, the water must hit her chest so that she's not putting too much weight on her ankles. Lift is ordered, it will be here in 2 weeks or so, then the spa will be here in 4 weeks or so from now. Will post pics as I do stuff.

First off, I have a Frigidaire dehumidifier, keeping in mind it's normally dry in Texas, do I need a humidity vent. This will not be steaming like a hot tub, rather kept at about 96 degrees for her joints. Here we go, finally, seems like I have spent days researching this :)

E-8.jpg

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I think I would still have a humidity vent, if you are going to keep the garage closed up, and during the winter, there will be times that is a necessity. I might even add an exhaust fan to have to use in the winter.

One other thing, make sure water is convenient to add, as with the dry weather the last few years, evaporation will have you adding water more often than you might think.

Looks like a great project! I too will be following the thread.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Interesting, I'm following along too.
Farmgirl is correct with adding water. We seem to use more water in the winter than summer and we use our HT a lot, close to 365 days a year.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That is quite the spa, no wonder she is excited, will be watching as project progresses.....

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I would still have a humidity vent, if you are going to keep the garage closed up, and during the winter, there will be times that is a necessity. I might even add an exhaust fan to have to use in the winter.

One other thing, make sure water is convenient to add, as with the dry weather the last few years, evaporation will have you adding water more often than you might think.

Looks like a great project! I too will be following the thread.
Thanks all. I do want to be over cautious. So why not do a vent. I will research some good for humidity control. I am going to re-paint the garage with more of an exterior paint, re-caulk areas, etc. We will have a good cover. Can also open the garage on a dry day and zap the humidity quickly that way.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's finally here....
Will take some images when it's all setup with the lift. I will say, wow it really stinks of plastics and such. Not good for her, this thing will need to off gas for a bit :)

exercise_spa1.jpg
exercise_spa2.jpg

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Nice unit! Looks inviting, and it doesn't even have the water in it yet!!

If chemical odors are a problem, you can also check to see what the minimum amount of chemicals is needed to maintain it. Since it is yours, and won't have outsiders using it, you can get by with less chemicals, I would think, like many do with their own swimming pools.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Texkev. What part of texas are you in? I'll look into what would be a good and inexpensive solution for humidity control /ventilation

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Texkev. What part of texas are you in? I'll look into what would be a good and inexpensive solution for humidity control /ventilation
I am just northwest of Dallas. I have a standup Frigidaire dehumidifier, new, had it for years, glad I kept it. I do want a vent, the one someone brought by that I know vents into the attic, seems like a bad idea to vent humidity. It does have a cover, it stinks the worst, so it's outside right now.

We will use an Ecosmarte system to keep the chemicals at ZERO. They have been in business a really long time and people say their units work great. The water will also be filtered before going into the spa. I did find a safer muratic acid, and that should be it.

For her just to be upright will be life changing. Water coming soon, spa tech has to install the Ecosmarte deal. Electrician will be here next week. And the plumber will be here to add a line to the lift, it is water drive, Will keep everyone posted. THANKS in advance for all the help :)

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
I beleive everyone that uses them life becomes easier.
Giz...I freely admit that I'm a pessimist by nature; so I look at things like hot-tubs, ponds, manicured landscaping, fences, and other things as a maintenance headache. However; I have nothing against people having things that makes THEIR lives easier, and if a spa makes Texkev's wife's life more enjoyable, I'm all for it.

I also admit that I don't fit the mold for a typical acreage/tractor owner.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Giz...I freely admit that I'm a pessimist by nature; so I look at things like hot-tubs, ponds, manicured landscaping, fences, and other things as a maintenance headache. However; I have nothing against people having things that makes THEIR lives easier, and if a spa makes Texkev's wife's life more enjoyable, I'm all for it.

I also admit that I don't fit the mold for a typical acreage/tractor owner.
Not sure I follow this but I could not agree more with "if a spa makes Texkev's wife's life more enjoyable, I'm all for it".
A hot tub sure makes my life easier to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hot-tubs can to me be an added liability, something to care for and that can break down, all of that added to her care and having enough on my plate already. However the therapy side of it is priceless. Most people think osteoporosis when you think of someone being sedentary,but it's far worse. Sagging organs that can adhere together. Not to mention lung problems and so on. Her lymphatic system needs to get moving as well. This tub will help her hopefully with so much long term.

I will say I will not be one to just sit and lounge in it, I get really antsy, but it was bought for therapy, however if some fun and relaxation can come out of it as well, that's a bonus :)

Not sure I follow this but I could not agree more with "if a spa makes Texkev's wife's life more enjoyable, I'm all for it".

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
Maybe I should have said that I'm a lazy SOB instead of a pessimist; but I'm both for what it's worth. :lol:

A buddy of mine has a hot-tub and he and his wife used it a lot when they first got it; but once the novelty wore off and the routine maintenance kicked in plus the expense of electricity being used to heat the water the hot-tub became the outdoor equivalent of a pool table.

In Texkev's case, he and his wife have other needs for the tub beyond just a place to unwind and relax. If it helps to make his wife's life easier and more enjoyable, then I say it's money well spent.

To give you an idea how lazy I am; after we moved into Casa Lemon 14+ years ago my wife asked me if we (meaning me) were going to plant any flowers. I asked her if she was going to take care of them and her response was, "NO." I replied, "Then we aren't planting any flowers."

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Electrician here tomorrow to do the hookup and a plumber to do a ti into my plumbing to run her lift. Also may have the lift set in place. Last thing will be the Eco-Smarte system so that we will not need chemicals (except muratic acid and something for the pH).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts