Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After all the snow we've had lately I decided that it was time to check over and clean up my 2305. The left side of the 47 blower was black from diesel exhaust after moving all the heavy, white, wet stuff lately. After washing and drying the tractor I started thinking about some of the threads I'd read lately about re-routing the exhaust. I looked at some of the solutions other members used and decided to go into my plumbing parts bucket to see if I could come up with something that would work for me.

I decided to use a 1 1/4" female threaded to 1" copper reducer, a length of heavy wall 1" copper tubing and a 45* copper elbow. I bored the reducer threads out using a 1 1/4" hole saw and finished the bore to a clean, snug fit over the exhaust pipe using a small sanding drum on my Dremel. I then slipped the 1" copper tubing through the reducer to act as an internal sleeve within the exhaust pipe. This is a perfect fit to the I.D. of the exhaust pipe and also stabilizes the extension. I then added the 45* elbow to the end of the short length of 1" copper and test fitted the pipe extension. I marked, drilled and tapped the hex of the reducer for a couple of 1/4" set screws. I sweated the pieces together and test fit to the tractor. I jacked the front end up and checked axle oscillation to make sure there was sufficient clearance. A double-coat of hi-temp exhaust paint and we're good to go.

A few photos are attached for reference:

2014-02-22 16.29.26.jpg

2014-02-22 17.08.48.jpg

2014-02-22 19.13.23.jpg

I think this solution may also work on the new 102X series as well.

Frank

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just make sure the extra weight/vibration dont break the pipe into the muffler.. I done something like this to another mower and just the extra weight of the tip was enough stress to break the muffler..

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hay Frank, I did some thing very similar for the same reason. When I remove the blower and put on the FEL I remove it so the front tire don't rub or bend it.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
One of the reasons I used 1.250" chromed brass waste pipe was to keep vibrational weight down. The heavier the pipe the more it wants to shake @ certain RPM's. My 1026 has a brace about half way down the stock pipe and it does a pretty good job of supporting it.

Keeping that exhaust away from blowers/plows does go a long way towards keeping them from icing up where the hot gasses can hit them hours on end.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hay Frank, I did some thing very similar for the same reason. When I remove the blower and put on the FEL I remove it so the front tire don't rub or bend it.

Doug
Doug, What size elbow did you use? I didn't have anything on hand that would fit the O.D. of the exhaust pipe or I would have done the same as you. Did you slit it to allow the elbow to clamp to the exhaust pipe?
Frank

·
Registered
673 Posts
Frank, the size of the elbow is 1 1/4". It fits tight so I put four slits on the pipe end and clamped it.

Doug

Reactions: claudester

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Doug
This is what I did on the 1025r and there is no problem with vibration or hitting the tire. Attached similarly to how HydroHarold describes.

P1181526 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mine works OK for the blower but when I mow my ditch or use my FEL in some uneven ground and have the front wheel turned it will rub so I take it off when I take off the blower.

Doug

·
Registered
446 Posts
Frank, the size of the elbow is 1 1/4". It fits tight so I put four slits on the pipe end and clamped it.

Doug
Doug,
The side you put on the exhaust, Is that 1 1/4" OD and a straight pipe?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Mine works OK for the blower but when I mow my ditch or use my FEL in some uneven ground and have the front wheel turned it will rub so I take it off when I take off the blower.

Doug
Oh dear, was I the only one that jacked the front of his tractor up and moved the axle up and down with the wheels turned before cutting my pipe...? Maybe I left that part out.:laugh::mocking:

Flikr pix worked OK for me, nice job!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Oh dear, was I the only one that jacked the front of his tractor up and moved the axle up and down with the wheels turned before cutting my pipe...? Maybe I left that part out.:laugh::mocking:

Flikr pix worked OK for me, nice job!
Heck Harold, I even have chains on... And they don't rub. Sorry you can't see the pics. Cannot imagine you need to be a member to see um. They are in my public folder??

·
Administrator
18,319 Posts
Sorry you can't see the pics. Cannot imagine you need to be a member to see um. They are in my public folder??
Why not just upload them to the forum? Thas way they will be archived here forever, and we won't have broken links and/or missing pics when you move or remove them from that album.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Why not just upload them to the forum? Thas way they will be archived here forever, and we won't have broken links and/or missing pics when you move or remove them from that album.
What are the parameters for uploading? and how do you do it? I did try but the site did not let me. Last couple days the site has been acting very odd. missing threads until you hover over them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Frank, This is a picture of a 45 elbow, the one I have on the tractor is 90 elbow. The end that I have on the exhaust is 1 3/8 ID.

Doug

Attachments

Reactions: claudester

·
Registered
446 Posts
Frank, This is a picture of a 45 elbow, the one I have on the tractor is 90 elbow. The end that I have on the exhaust is 1 3/8 ID.

Doug
Thanks Doug for the update. I went and got the street elbow yesterday and installed it. What a simple cure for my iced up plow, not to mention the soot that covers it. Don't look bad either.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Thanks Doug for the update. I went and got the street elbow yesterday and installed it. What a simple cure for my iced up plow, not to mention the soot that covers it. Don't look bad either.
MY computer won't let me view it... It's not "chrome".:laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
MY computer won't let me view it... It's not "chrome".:laugh:
I used a piece of chrome 1 1/4" of bathroom drain ,, didn't care for the chrome ,sprayed it black but no more black soot on plow ,blower or fel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used a piece of chrome 1 1/4" of bathroom drain ,, didn't care for the chrome ,sprayed it black but no more black soot on plow ,blower or fel.
I did the same thing. I think it was $7 or less at trader horn.

2014-01-16 20.32.39.jpg

2014-01-17 10.29.37.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts