Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you do not have this problem, but I will entertain you. My tractors are kept inside my work area and in the winter this can be an issue. The problem is that upon start up, a cold engine dumps some pretty obnoxious fumes. I find it is only start up, after I have run outside for a while I do not have to use it for re-entry. So my solution is to temporarily put a filter on the exhaust to catch 80% of the worste. My filter is 4 or 5 socks inside of one another with a rubber band. When not in use I keep it in a plastic bag. It actually works pretty good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How often do you plan on putting clean socks on it? :mocking:
:laugh::laugh:

So it cuts down on the particulate diesel, but the fumes still have to be there correct?:unknown:
You are correct, there is still oder. It seems to catch a lot of the unburnt fuel and particulates. It really makes a huge difference.

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
I like it! I hate that big cloud of black smoke in the garage...

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Being our garage is integral,I had to unwillingly,move my 2520 to the barn,because every time I started the tractor,it set off the smoke alarms.:hide: All the alarms in the basement are tied together electrically so it made for a pretty noisy deal. Other than having to deal with the mice now,I actually have more room for it anyway,so it kind of worked out for the better.............I think.:)

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
My Mom used to do something similar with her old Maytag wringer washer where she'd put a nylon stocking over the end of the discharge hose to collect lint before it went down the drain and plugged it up.

When it was draining, the lint/water mixture in the stocking looked like a large stuffed sausage.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I was messing around last night thinking I was going to play a joke on my wife. She always comments on how my son's socks can get dirty within 5 minutes of him putting them on and she has no clue how. He must take his shoes off at school? We have white carpet so its not from our home. So, I was going to take 2 of his socks and soil them BLACK with Randys idea.

Well, a 4 year olds socks will not fit over the exhaust on a 4520.:tongue: So then I thought, this is too good of a joke to waste, I went and got a pair of my white socks. I took one, put it inside out and put it over the pipe and secured it with a pair of very strong rubber bands. Upon startup, the sock flew off the pipe. So I went back to plan 2, zip tie. That worked, but the tractor was not happy with the restriction and the sock was shooting out the bottom side of the tractor at full mast. :mocking:

Well after three starts, I took it off and it was not even dirty.:empathy3: I know with my other tractors with would have been black, but this one has the same setup as trucks with the wait to start and there is no smoke, but I assumed there would be something on the sock... BTW, its hell getting the sock off the exhaust when its hot and on there tight with a zip tie.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aren't you the mischievous one. :mocking:

Just a note, the socks I am using are long tube socks. This allows for a lot of surface area and volume and I think aids in keeping it on the pipe. The small volume and surface area with the increased amount of exhaust gasses of your machine does not surprise me that it did not stay on.:good2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Go to Home Depot and get a 2 or 3' piece of this, you can buy it by the foot-"1-5/8 in. O.D. x 1-1/4 in. I.D. x 50 ft. PVC Tubing" it should be pretty snug and its max working temp is 175*. That should be able to get you outta the garage. Slip it ob and pull it off

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to Home Depot and get a 2 or 3' piece of this, you can buy it by the foot-"1-5/8 in. O.D. x 1-1/4 in. I.D. x 50 ft. PVC Tubing" it should be pretty snug and its max working temp is 175*. That should be able to get you outta the garage. Slip it ob and pull it off
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. :unknown:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
He saying to vent the exhaust out of the shop instead of trying to filter it..... I think

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are you telling me that Deere is now putting exhaust filters on the tractors? Those dang things! Always plugging up and wanting a regen... And then the sensors fail. It once took 2 hours for the shop to do a forced regen, what a waste of time and fuel! :mocking:

Mr. Moose

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry I should have removed the 50' off the length, its the same tubing they use for swimming pool filters, its flexible and you can buy it by the foot in a number of sizes up to 1-1/2" dia. Its the clear flexible pvc that has a max temp rating of 175* to get you out of the garage. The 1-1/4" size would slip on there pretty snug and its not real heavy and if it wants to curl, just tape a dowel rod to the outside.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sorry I should have removed the 50' off the length, its the same tubing they use for swimming pool filters, its flexible and you can buy it by the foot in a number of sizes up to 1-1/2" dia. Its the clear flexible pvc that has a max temp rating of 175* to get you out of the garage. The 1-1/4" size would slip on there pretty snug and its not real heavy and if it wants to curl, just tape a dowel rod to the outside.
Tsc has a 25' section already bagged up. They can also be connected. Think they're around $8. I use them for cage water tanks.

Sent from the mountains

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My fix is simple and quick. It get rid of the worst of it. Once I am out side I just remove the sock. If I need to start up a machine and move it again slide it on, move machine and slide it off. When the machines are warm it isn't a problem. And no extra expense, I have used tube sock to last me for years.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am trying to understand why you want to filter that black exhaust. I mean, I have been thinking about a mini-turbo and adding a propane injector to mine so I can get another 5 horsepower. If it breathes fire and throws smoke it is a good thing. Look at all the Dodge Diesels on the road, surely it is a good thing because they are all doing it.

:hide2:

Sorry I couldn't resist. "I drive a Ford 7.3L Power Stroke."

·
Super Moderator
7,909 Posts
Hey guys. Don't worry about diesel particulate filters (DPF's) as they're an efficient and proven emissions reduction technology. When they do become restricted beyond regeneration service and need to be cleaned I've got a $27,000 DPF cleaning system I can sell you. Works great and only weighs in @ ~ 1800 Lbs.

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Hey guys. Don't worry about diesel particulate filters (DPF's) as they're an efficient and proven emissions reduction technology. When they do become restricted beyond regeneration service and need to be cleaned I've got a $27,000 DPF cleaning system I can sell you. Works great and only weighs in @ ~ 1800 Lbs.
:lolol:

Randy's filter just needs a Maytag.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts