Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for a rainy week of tractor maintenance. I took the sides off the 1026 and found this. I am assuming this is not normal, but I also don't see anything setup incorrectly. The exhaust has melted the black plastic in the front, and has nearly destroyed the coolant overflow tank. What I have seems to match what I see in the service manual. I'm not seeing any other mention of this in the forum or general googling. So I'm stumped.

Is it all correctly installed and something is making it be too hot?
Is the pipe and/or muffler the wrong part?
Is there some insulation or shielding that should be there I don't know about?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
Wow! That can't be normal. I wish I had some words of wisdom to offer. I believe the 1026R has a temperature gauge, is it always showing normal engine temperatures?

I'll be interested to see what more knowledgeable folks have to say.

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
I'd suspect an exhaust leak somewhere.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Wow! That can't be normal. I wish I had some words of wisdom to offer. I believe the 1026R has a temperature gauge, is it always showing normal engine temperatures?

I'll be interested to see what more knowledgeable folks have to say.
jgayman-do u think the fan is not turning enough to keep the heat temps. down? that is some serious heat there for sure.:dunno:

Reactions: PJR832 and Marlin

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
There seams to be a lot of rust and corrosion for a low hour tractor? I know you don't know the history-but that thing looks like it was swamped at one time.

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
jgayman-do u think the fan is not turning enough to keep the heat temps. down? that is some serious heat there for sure.:dunno:
Doubtful. It looks exhaust related rather than overall engine temperature. I suspect Kenny might be right about an exhaust leak although it looks like two different areas. One near the overflow tank and another down further.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air filter checked, it's fine. And the tractor produces full power easily. The fan also blows aplenty. So I don't believe it's air (in or around).

How high up the scale should the temperature gauge go? I was never up to the middle, let alone running hot. But, on that note if it should be in the middle, that could be something else I need to address. Either a stuck open thermostat or a sender being dumb.

The only surface rust is the exhaust and a few pieces of linkage on the 3pt. Nothing else. Based on that and the seat condition, It looks like it was just routinely parked outside in the elements?

I started it up trying to feel for exhaust leaks. I couldn't feel any. Doesn't mean there isn't but certainly nothing big.

Perhaps I should replace the muffler and pipe? It also appears to be missing the spark arrestor at the end.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
It looks to me like the exhaust pipe came loose form the muffler. I am saying that because it looks like there is an imprint of the the exhaust pipe in the radiator shroud just in front of the alternator & also from the way the overflow tank is burnt.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks to me like the exhaust pipe came loose form the muffler. I am saying that because it looks like there is an imprint of the the exhaust pipe in the radiator shroud just in front of the alternator & also from the way the overflow tank is burnt.
I think this might actually be what's going on here. I just had it running the last 20 minutes at 2500-3000 RPM. The area that's melted (both shroud and tank) was barely warm. I could put my hand right in between the pipe and plastic all the way around all the melted components without being burned (official test method...).

This photo is as high as the temperature gauge went. It's currently 56 degrees outside. Is this normal, or should it be going higher? The coolant reservoir is at normal level, and the radiator is full. The coolant looks clean and everything I can see inside the cap is clean. I will bring an IR gun home from work to see how hot the hoses are getting. Anyone know what the ohms should be on the sender?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
The only surface rust is the exhaust and a few pieces of linkage on the 3pt. Nothing else. Based on that and the seat condition, It looks like it was just routinely parked outside in the elements?

I started it up trying to feel for exhaust leaks. I couldn't feel any. Doesn't mean there isn't but certainly nothing big.

Perhaps I should replace the muffler and pipe? It also appears to be missing the spark arrestor at the end.
Silly question... is this not your tractor or is it a used tractor that you just purchased?

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
Perhaps... but it would be difficult for the pipe to move that far forward if the lower mounting bolt down on the frame was still attached. It seems that bolt would have to be removed for the pipe to be able to move that far straight forward.

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
The spark arrestor kit was an option on the 1026R. Has anyone ever seen a machine with one installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Perhaps... but it would be difficult for the pipe to move that far forward if the lower mounting bolt down on the frame was still attached. It seems that bolt would have to be removed for the pipe to be able to move that far straight forward.
Or maybe the lower bolt fell out :dunno: ... and later replaced.

Looking at the last pic, there seems to be an imprint of the exhaust pipe at the bottom. I'm not at my tractor right now, but I don't remember such an indent on my tractor.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Any signs of mice on the engine? I wonder if the exhaust was temporarily clogged by a mouse nest. It burnt and blew out and now the exhaust temps are back to normal? Just a thought.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No sign of that. But it's new-to-me so I do not know what transpired the last 5 years.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
The spark arrestor kit was an option on the 1026R. Has anyone ever seen a machine with one installed?
Nope, never had one on mine.

Getting ready for a rainy week of tractor maintenance. I took the sides off the 1026 and found this. I am assuming this is not normal, but I also don't see anything setup incorrectly. The exhaust has melted the black plastic in the front, and has nearly destroyed the coolant overflow tank. What I have seems to match what I see in the service manual. I'm not seeing any other mention of this in the forum or general googling. So I'm stumped.

Is it all correctly installed and something is making it be too hot? Is now.
Is the pipe and/or muffler the wrong part? No.
Is there some insulation or shielding that should be there I don't know about? No.
I just took some pics of my 1026. I have 1066 hours on mine so you will see the difference. From the looks of yours in my opinion only, have one or things wrong.
1. the muffler and pipe came off and moved against everything you have that is melted.
2. the muffler is shot and isn't doing it's job.
3. I've got nothing. Here is some pics of mine...

Like I said, I have over a 1000 hours on mine and my muffler and pipe are not rusted.
Did you not see this when you bought it or did it happen after you bought it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I also see a couple paper wasp nest starts in there too, or what looks like them anyway.
Its possible they built up a nest in the pipe, blocking flow, causing higher temps.

Im certainly no expert, but my best guess based on the pictures is that either that, or other unknown factors, caused the exhaust to be partially plugged, raising temps.
If that lower bolt was loose or lost, the heat could have caused the pipe to come off the muffler once hot, rotate forward into the tank and other plastic, and the exhaust gas from the muffler directed now on that plastic in front of it, caused a bit more damage.

If its running good now, with no issues, Id say you are ok, though Id look at replacing what damaged parts I could at this point, including at the least removing that exhaust pipe section to clean up and repaint.
If it did have anything in it form the paper wasps, you will likely see residue in there still.

While I realize that inside storage isnt possible for a lot of tractor owners, this is one reason I MUCH prefer it. All manor of bugs and critters will take up residence inside any area they can access when they have access to it for long periods of time. Ive seen an awful lot of damage done by mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks, and those wasps making nests wherever they can.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yours is certainly much prettier than mine.

When I was looking the machine over, I saw the surface rust on the exhaust. I didn't think anything of it, because I don't think I've ever seen an exhaust that didn't have surface rust. If it wasn't for the melted plastic, I still wouldn't think anything of it.

Based on the melted items not being hot at all, it would appear there is no immediate and ongoing heat-related problem. I think I'm pretty well convinced the pipe fell off at some point in the machine's past. But I will continue to monitor it... if it ever stops raining. I am also going to order a new coolant reservoir tank.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts