Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3038E
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, about 5 days ago, my brand new 3038e was finally delivered, and it has been a life changer, especially now that I've moved from a 0.75 acre lot in N. Georgia to a 5 acre horse farm in central Jersey.

That said, despite everything going splendidly so far, I am having issues with the exhaust fumes, specifically that they're frequently blowing up into my face and I'm starting to develop a mild cough. I have searched for various ways to get around this issue, but I am really only seeing recommendations for the official JD vertical exhaust kit for my model. While it looks nice, the $300-$400 price tag is awfully steep, and I was thinking that maybe I can just hit up TSC and DIY a custom setup for far less. The thing is, I haven't really seen any posts about anyone else doing that or something similar, so I'm wondering if there's a reason why the JD OEM part seems to be mentioned as the only option. I would have thought that just redirecting exhaust with a simple pipe extension would be safe/viable?

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Since you have an open station, I don't think the vertical exhaust is your solution. You might think about routing the exhaust under the tractor to the rear. I had a utility tractor in the early 90's that came from the factory like that. You can take the tractor to any muffler shop and they can fabricate what you need. Your situation sounds serious and you need to consider the necessity, rather than the expense.

Dave

·
Registered
Gen 1 2025R
28 Posts
This post describes my solution. Hopefully it helps

·
Registered
3038E
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can take the tractor to any muffler shop and they can fabricate what you need. Your situation sounds serious and you need to consider the necessity, rather than the expense.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Coincidentally, the one neighbor we haven't met owns a muffler company, so maybe I can get around to meeting him to see what they can do (as I don't have the means to transport the tractor at the moment). It's not necessarily the expense piece but rather the timeliness. I'm hoping Kurt's solution above was fairly straightforward though it'll be temporary until I can get it all routed under the tractor.

Kurt, how was the process of sourcing those components? And what your total expense at the end of the day?

Thanks!

Marc

·
Registered
Gen 1 2025R
28 Posts
Thanks, Dave. Coincidentally, the one neighbor we haven't met owns a muffler company, so maybe I can get around to meeting him to see what they can do (as I don't have the means to transport the tractor at the moment). It's not necessarily the expense piece but rather the timeliness. I'm hoping Kurt's solution above was fairly straightforward though it'll be temporary until I can get it all routed under the tractor.

Kurt, how was the process of sourcing those components? And what your total expense at the end of the day?

Thanks!

Marc
Marc,

The steel pipe was from Alro steel, high heat silicone elbows and roll pipe bracket were from Ebay. Materials total cost about $90. I was able to do fabrication and welding myself. I feel this will be my permanent exhaust solution but if your just looking for just a temporary solution maybe there is a smaller diameter type of flexible aluminum dryer vent pipe or something similar ?? I started out with just attaching one elbow angled down at the ground, and that actually made the fumes worse. I’m glad I spent the time figuring the problem out, I just wish I had done this 6 years ago.

·
Registered
3038E
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marc,

The steel pipe was from Alro steel, high heat silicone elbows and roll pipe bracket were from Ebay. Materials total cost about $90. I was able to do fabrication and welding myself. I feel this will be my permanent exhaust solution but if your just looking for just a temporary solution maybe there is a smaller diameter type of flexible aluminum dryer vent pipe or something similar ?? I started out with just attaching one elbow angled down at the ground, and that actually made the fumes worse. I’m glad I spent the time figuring the problem out, I just wish I had done this 6 years ago.
Welding is my next skill to learn, so it sounds like your solution may be out of reach for now and maybe more work than is worth it as I also have a potential tree issue.

Based on your suggestion for a temporary solution, I assume there's no harm in trying various ad hoc solutions as long as I don't damage the current exhaust pipe? My first thought was that it should be as simple as just redirecting the exhaust with some kind of pipe/tube/hose/etc., but my knowledge of the physics of exhaust systems and mufflers is minimal which made me want to avoid my own common sense in the first place. I'd hate to damage any part of the engine/etc. from ignorance on my end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My JD 4600 had the exhaust going down in the front. I was always smelling diesel. I picked up the JD kit to come out the top. Now I rarely smell the exhaust. Nice improvement and highly recommended. I never thought of taking it to a muffler shop. Now I have a similar situation with my 2210. Maybe a trip to a muffler shop that bends up their own pipes is in order!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I have a 1020 and it was available with either a thru the hood top exhaust or a bottom run muller and tail pipe. I always thought the bottom exit made sense. it dumps behind the rear wheel and I have never had any problems.

·
Premium Member
8,780 Posts
My JD 2030 has the down and rear exit (behind the rear axle) exhaust. It's only a problem putting/take off implements.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 4066R Cab
7 Posts
My last tractor was a JD 3320. The lower exhaust exit not only had the the occasional smell which really didn’t bother me, but always kicked up a lot of dust during field work. The vertical exhaust kit took care of the dust issue, and as a previous post said I rarely smelled exhaust after installing the kit. It is a simple installation too.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
My JD 2030 has the down and rear exit (behind the rear axle) exhaust. It's only a problem putting/take off implements.
When I had my utility tractor way back when, I learned real quick to turn the engine off when working behind the tractor. Which I also do now with my 4066R when attaching the PTO shaft. With the engine off, there is some play in the tractor side which makes it easier to mate up the PTO shafts.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got some breathing "issues" and didn't like the front exit exhaust on my 4210, so I fabbed up a lower exhaust that's tight to the frame and exits near the left rear tire. This summer I'll make a new one that exits behind the tire, The current one's not pretty but I can take a pic. Materials? 1-8' section of 1" emt, 2 couplers and a 2 90 degree elbows. Cost? I may have 25 bux in it.

Scott

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
An issue I see with an under mount exhaust is when using a MMM - clearance. I installed a high temp silicone hose elbow to direct the exhaust outward toward the left front tire. So far so good.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
224 Posts
The exhaust on all of the JD diesels I’ve owned have always been less than desirable due to the way they put fumes in the face of the operator. On my previous 3320 I installed the vertical exhaust kit. On my current x758 I attached a short section of 45-degree silicone hose to direct the fumes directly to the left. Both solutions worked great.

Rick

842D6026-8D3D-4B61-A116-94BF01050C95.jpeg

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
View attachment 784015
I like your handles and your mirrors, did you make them yourself or did you buy them some where? If you bought them would you mind telling where you bought them from. Thanks

·
Registered
Gen 1 2025R
28 Posts
I like your handles and your mirrors, did you make them yourself or did you buy them some where? If you bought them would you mind telling where you bought them from. Thanks
Rob,

Thank you. I made the mirror brackets and handle set up. I needed to figure out a handle to help with my knees. The mirrors sometimes get moved out of wack by getting to close to my pine trees but I’m glad I have them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts