Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my 1025R out today.... have roughly 9.5 hours on it.

Removed the AutoConnect 60D mowing deck - went very well this time (only my 2nd time removing the deck).

Then, I installed the Front End Loader - which was a breeze.

Yanked a few 'straggler' roots of very little consequence, with a chain attached to my 'Heavy Hitch'.... from the ground where I had cut down a pine tree.... (my son-in-law yanked out the stump with his Chevy 4X4).

Then... I moved about 4 yards of topsoil with several 'half-bucket' FEL bucket scoops a distance of maybe 60 feet each trip.

I engaged the 4X4 a few times just while I was digging into the dirt pile... Then disengaged it and drove across my grass lawn to dump the dirt.

Somewhere along the line.... a helluva vibration could be felt while I was driving along in a straight line in 2 wheel drive.... with no load in the bucket. Even when I had some dirt in it, it was only about half full.... so it wasn't that heavy of a load.

I could feel the vibration through the steering wheel.... and at one point pretty coarse vibration through the seat as well.

It also seemed like a 'coarse, grind-y' sort of noise accompanied the vibration.... a different tone to the engine perhaps... or in the drivetrain.

I checked the 4X4 lever to make sure it wasn't 'half-engaged' and it was securely in the 2WD position. Turning the wheel seemed to make it worse.... and I wondered if I had some issue with the front 4X4 wheel hub assembly....

I turned the mower off... and then back on and it seemed to disappear.... but then it came back and disappeared several more times..... I figured I would just keep using it and see if it worked itself out.... and if not, I would park it and call the dealer to come and pick it up - yet again.

The coarse vibration felt through the steering wheel and entire chassis would be present, even standing still to a degree..... but was compounded when moving forward and reverse.... and it seemed like turning the wheel exacerbated it somewhat too.

After a while... it seemed to sort of 'settle down' and towards the end of my roughly 2 hour job with it, it seemed to go away..... When I was finished with my dirt hauling job.... and smoothing the dirt out with the bucket in preparation to seed the area, I drove the tractor to my back yard and detached the front end loader in my pole barn. Then, I drove to where I had uninstalled my 60D mower deck in my backyard and reinstalled it.... which went quite well. All the time I did these implement changes, the tractor acted completely normal....

After hooking up my mower deck... I mowed a very small patch of my lawn just to make sure the mower deck was attached and working correctly..... no problem at all. Deck worked fine - no vibration.

Not quite sure what to think of the coarse vibration I was feeling earlier.... it was really VERY concerning. Should I have the dealer take a look at it? Or should I work with it a little longer and see if it returns???

Being that it felt like it was vibrating even standing still.... I wondered if it could be engine related...???

Would appreciate any insight and advice you might have... thanks people.

·
Premium Member
14,906 Posts
Just wondering were you in H Range and running a low RPM..

Also did you have any ballast on the rear the end of tractor. If not that is rough on the front end even with small bucket loads .

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Obviously you have a lot of warranty left to try this out to see if it continues. If so, time for a phone call to the dealer.

Dave

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering were you in H Range and running a low RPM..

Also did you have any ballast on the rear the end of tractor. If not that is rough on the front end even with small bucket loads .
I had the unit in LOW and rpm's were at approximately 2200....just below the pto mark.

Ballast box with sandbags...not sure total weight.....but to reiterate, there was coarse vibration even standing still...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would use the tractor a bit more and see if you can replicate the issue. The dealer won't be able to fix a problem that they can't experience, so make sure it happens consistently enough to be found before taking it in.
Kind of what I was thinking too.... I have to mow the lawn tomorrow....so it will be in use for about an hour. I will be on the lookout for this to happen again.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You say it was vibrating even when sitting still: Check the hydraulic fluid level COLD before starting up. If ok and still vibrating check the exhaust pipe for one cylinder misfiring or not firing at all. ALSO, as this happened to me, check to see that the entire exhaust pipe/muffler assembly is tight. When it's loose it sounds for all the world like a "rod knock"... scary!:laugh:
Then I'd would be checking fuel filters and fuel for restrictions if it is rough exhaust... and then calling The Dealer Man. Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Air cleaner bracket

Joe:

Check to see if the bolts in the bracket for the air cleaner are tight.

They loosened up on mine, and it took me while to figure out what the rattling noise was.

·
Premium Member
14,906 Posts
I had the unit in LOW and rpm's were at approximately 2200....just below the pto mark.

Ballast box with sandbags...not sure total weight.....but to reiterate, there was coarse vibration even standing still...
I usually run mine around 23-2500 sometimes higher Rpm depending on what I'm doing while using the FEL. Low rpm speeds will cause vibrations , for me leaving the frame work on for mine Original Cab on year around . Usually raising the RPM a 100 or 200 rpm helps . As others have said check around see if a hose is close to another or rubbing on something.
When you say just below the 2200...just below the pto 2200 mark..:dunno: PTO is 3200 RPM maybe you meant 3200 .
And as others have stated , get some more hours , keep watching , listening and see if it does it again. Then if still there call the dealer, if you can't find the trouble .

Per manual just part of the info for using PTO.

NOTE: The LCD indicates the PTO speed at an engine speed of 3200 rpm.
At 3200 engine rpm the mid PTO speed will be 2100 rpm and rear PTO speed will be 540 rpm, as indicated on the LCD.
If PTO shuts off during use, turn off engine and push down to turn off PTO/RIO switch. Lock park brake. Allow engine to cool. Check coolant level and add coolant if necessary. Clean debris away from radiator cooling fins. Sit on seat, and start engine. Pull PTO/RIO switch up to the on position. If PTO still does not engage, see your local John Deere Dealer for service.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Joe:

Check to see if the bolts in the bracket for the air cleaner are tight.

They loosened up on mine, and it took me while to figure out what the rattling noise was.
The rubber strap that goes around the air cleaner broke on mine and it made a hell of a rattling sound until I figured out what was wrong. The dealer didn't have one in stock so they took the strap off of a new tractor on the lot and handed it to me. So far so good with the second one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got my 1025R out today.... have roughly 9.5 hours on it.

Removed the AutoConnect 60D mowing deck - went very well this time (only my 2nd time removing the deck).

Then, I installed the Front End Loader - which was a breeze.

Yanked a few 'straggler' roots of very little consequence, with a chain attached to my 'Heavy Hitch'.... from the ground where I had cut down a pine tree.... (my son-in-law yanked out the stump with his Chevy 4X4).

<SNIP>

Being that it felt like it was vibrating even standing still.... I wondered if it could be engine related...???

Would appreciate any insight and advice you might have... thanks people.

Whenever you are trying to get to root cause, you have to keep eliminating things and looking for change. You described a bunch of situations where there was no vibration so what was happening when there was?

The vibration seemed to be regardless of load.

The vibration did not happen when the mower was attached.

Are you driving up and down hills? - does it mostly happen one way (up or down or across)

You obviously would be running the tractor at different speeds (with/without load, with/without PTO engaged for mower) so it does not sound engine related unless it happens at a very specific RPM. Simply changing RPM while the noise is happening would eliminate/highlight any harmonic induced vibration caused by an engine mount, muffler mount, etc...and simultaneously tell you that it is in the power train.

Since the noise itself is at a higher frequency presumably than the wheels are turning you can eliminate anything in the final drive to the wheels. This pretty much leaves the 4x4 engagement and I have no idea how that works but presume it isn't mechanical, and the mid-mount PTO? I don't have a diagram for the tractor so I cannot really say but if you keep eliminating things you should come back to the truth or in this case the source. I probably would take some time out to troubleshoot when it happens next time. Using the screwdriver trick in this video just be sure you don't stick it where it isn't wanted :)

You can use anything, it doesn't have to be a screwdriver, I have used installer bits which are very long drill bits (3+ feet) used for installing wiring, as well as a piece of EMT pipe I had laying around. It will help you isolate the noise at the very least to a specific area of the tractor. Just be careful poking around in a running machine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tested it out this morning.... ugh.

Thanks for all the replies thus far - I have read them all and have to check some of the things suggested yet.

But as a quick check, I started up the mower this morning... and then I drover it around the yard in 2 wheel drive. No issues. I should mention that the Front End Loader is UNinstalled and not on the unit.

I engaged the 4 wheel drive lever and as soon as I could immediately feel a slight vibration and change in tone throughout the chassis. I drove a bit.... with RPM at about 2300 on the 'dial'..... and the vibration was even more pronounced.

Here is a major clue, I think: I stopped the unit and threw the 'drive' lever firmly back to 2 wheel drive.... and then I started moving across my yard. Still had a vibration and felt kind of like the 4WD was still engaged. I put the lever back into 4WD and moved forward a little, stopped, and put it back into 2WD and moved a little. I repeated this process several times and NEVER could get it to feel like it was in 2WD and without vibration and a coarse feel and sound. The drive lever makes a positive click into both 2WD and 4WD mode.... I don't think it is engaging 2WD from 4WD mode frankly - and I think something else is wrong to cause such a distinct vibration through the steering wheel and chassis.....

I drove it back into my pole barn and shut it off.

When I was operating the tractor yesterday (day of original post and complaint), I was operating on a relatively 'flat' lawn surface when the coarse vibration and tone started.

I am going to call the dealer.... something is NOT right.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yeah man get that tractor into the dealer, sounds like something is not right in your gearbox. as a test, if you had any way to safely jack the front axle off the ground, put the lever in 2wd and see if you can turn both front wheels in the same direction. the driveshaft to the front end turns all the time, disconnects in the rearend.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Have you tried a higher RPM? I very rarely run my 1025r at less than 3K RPM (unless I am using the BH).

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Sometimes it takes a bit of "reverse" to get 4WD disengaged on hard ground or pavement. But still, it sounds like a dealer call is the right way to go. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Take every implement and attachment off the tractor. Fire it up and let it warm up. Put it in low. Make sure it's in two wheel and take it for a slow run. Throttle up and do another run. Next, make sure your on dirt or grass and throw it n in 4 wheel. Take it for another run. Repeat the same in hi gear. Your vibration could be from attachments and implements. If it happens during this, it narrows it down to the rig. Also, make sure the brake is off!!!!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Oh, and don't forget to check for loose hood parts and side panel bolts. Both can make noises especially the hood!

·
Registered
45 Posts
How's the oil level in your front axle?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts