Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of my retirement is some buying selling of equipment. From my viewpoint I've noticed an interesting trend. I get tons of text or messenger messages. Most are asking academic questions about the equipment. When I attempt to explain or run my equipment 101 class, the inquiring parties seem to get agitated. I asked one party that maybe they can do some homework or investigation on their needs. I'm wondering if a lot of folks are so novice that they don't get the basics. I thought with this computer base they could do their homework and understand but just the opposite they seem to want me to do the homework or explaining. Am I missing something here. I might be better served by not giving any information.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
By and large people are lazy nowadays. They want the legwork done for them. I find this true with mechanical and electrical engineers I deal with when providing doecumentation for my bridges. Just plain lazy. People want information but not too much. And they don't want to be preached to about safety or proper methods to do things. I find it better to provide zero input and let them ask specific questions. You can weed out the lazy ones really quickly and figure out what needs to be interjected.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Part of my retirement is some buying selling of equipment. From my viewpoint I've noticed an interesting trend. I get tons of text or messenger messages. Most are asking academic questions about the equipment. When I attempt to explain or run my equipment 101 class, the inquiring parties seem to get agitated. I asked one party that maybe they can do some homework or investigation on their needs. I'm wondering if a lot of folks are so novice that they don't get the basics. I thought with this computer base they could do their homework and understand but just the opposite they seem to want me to do the homework or explaining. Am I missing something here. I might be better served by not giving any information.
I find the same thing with selling breeder heifers. Some people have specific questions and want specific answers, some people want a complete education. Some people don't even know what questions to ask. I just listen to them and respond accordingly. I figure if I want to sell anything, I have to cater to them!

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,081 Posts
I thought with this computer base they could do their homework and understand but just the opposite they seem to want me to do the homework or explaining.
The problem is, they don't read, they either ask or watch.
Hang around the tractor groups on FB for a few hours and you'll understand. They don't read operator's manuals, they would rather go on a tractor group or forum and ask, even the most basic questions that most would be embarrassed to ask. Or, they watch, YouTube most specifically. And anyone of us can see that a lot of the videos that people post on YouTube just leave you scratching you head. And even worse, when you reply to some of these videos with honest helpful suggestions often times the responses are very snarky.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
True. It's amazing the good information on these couple of forums I'm a part of but it's much more amazing at the horrific information some people have the nuts to post. I may sometimes make a mistake and say something that's not correct but it's not often. I usually don't chime in unless it's a life experience.
I'm still in the camp that when it comes to information, less is better until you know more is better.

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,478 Posts
I am not so sure folks are lazy...Just so little time with so many things to do. One must be as productive as possible.

I wouldn't call someone lazy unless I spent a day in their shoes...often times after doing that , you would say " Ah yeah no thanks...I can't take do what your doing everyday"

My dad had free time to garden and hunt and fish...He couldn't lasted a day doing what my Mom did. Take care of 9 kids and feed everyone.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ok. No one has 9 kids anymore to take care of. Nothing is the way it used to be when my parents and grand parents "worked" for what they had. I say worked because it was manual labor on a farm. It was why there were very few fat people and not much in the way of bad health. And they ate "horribly" by today's standards. It's laughable. People are lazy and have been for years now.

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,478 Posts
Ok. No one has 9 kids anymore to take care of. Nothing is the way it used to be when my parents and grand parents "worked" for what they had. I say worked because it was manual labor on a farm. It was why there were very few fat people and not much in the way of bad health. And they ate "horribly" by today's standards. It's laughable. People are lazy and have been for years now.
Yeah , I'll go with that...Have only met 2 folks in my life that could out work me...and they are both dead.

I am going to go out on a limb and say most of us here have the same ego and think the same way... 😄

·
Registered
27,551 Posts
The problem is, they don't read, they either ask or watch.
Hang around the tractor groups on FB for a few hours and you'll understand. They don't read operator's manuals, they would rather go on a tractor group or forum and ask, even the most basic questions that most would be embarrassed to ask. Or, they watch, YouTube most specifically. And anyone of us can see that a lot of the videos that people post on YouTube just leave you scratching you head. And even worse, when you reply to some of these videos with honest helpful suggestions often times the responses are very snarky.
I see that once in a while here but not too much. I want so badly to post RTFM but I refrain. Instead I usually will post a link to their operator’s manual for them which is then of course usually ignored. Or, a response like why didn’t you just answer my question instead of posting that link……

And YouTube videos - again not all too bad here but I see it now and again. People who have done nothing but watch YouTube videos and then they are the experts. YouTube certainly has it’s place and there are some very good contributors like yourself. But I feel there are more videos with so much misinformation out there. YouTube should be a part of one’s research but not depended upon soley.

Back to the OP’s dilemma - I’ve never used craigslist, facebook, or any other kind of online marketing platform except for on our forum here. There have been some threads here which talk about the responses people get from their ads. All I can say is my hat is off to you to be able to tolerate a lot of the responses and keep your sanity. Like Arlen said above - if you really want to sell something I guess you have to put up with it.

And while we are on the subject, a gear grinder of sorts. Again this pertains to this forums buy/sell section. Why is it so hard for someone to give complete details with their for sale post. I see so many that are listed without a price or location of the item. Someone has to post and ask for these 2 important details.

Myself, I feel it is the job of the seller to provide the basic information of the item they are selling - not the potential buyer to try to pry it out of the seller.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Most people need personal interactions (give and take sessions) even if they are at a distance because of the internet. Think about how knowledge and information were passed around prior to books and printed manuals. There were dialogs. What is going on right here in this thread is a dialog.

Now, I don't know what you mean by your Equipment 101 class, but I'd like to know. Are you denying the potential customer a chance to interact with you in a teacher-student relationship by directing them away to try to learn on their own?

Maybe these people would prefer talking or even texting or trading emails with a real person, instead of sitting in their bedrooms trying to read a manual on their iphone screens.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Clyde, he's selling equipment not training people to operate it. If I were doing what MM is doing I would very likely not sell anything to anyone that knows nothing about it.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If you don't know what you are buying why are you interested in buying it? That would be my question.

We sold a van once, we were the second owners. It had 130K on it, about 15 years old. Had a couple that said they wouldn't buy it without seeing all the maintenance records. I just said well I wouldn't want to sell it to you.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My reasoning for not wanting to sell to "novices" is the same as not being crazy about selling a piece of farm equipment to a friend. Everyone knows how Murphy works. That thing will break the very next day.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,081 Posts
Most people need personal interactions (give and take sessions) even if they are at a distance because of the internet.
This is the truth, I've learned from my younger daughter that kids today cannot simply talk on the phone, they must be able to see each other. Everything is either face time or video chat, drives me nuts.....

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I’m sure I lose a few sales, but I generally don’t even respond to people that don’t have a clue what I’m selling.

If someone sends their phone number and simply says call me, there’s less then a 10% chance they buy it, and about a 50% chance they waste 1/2 hour of your time because they are just looking for someone to talk to.

I rarely try to get top dollar, I want stuff to sell, at reasonable prices for everyone. With that in mind I have had great luck with saying ‘I will not negotiate unless your standing in-front of me with a fist full of cash.’ Its greatly reduced tire kickers and no-shows.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Part of my retirement is some buying selling of equipment.
It would help me understand if you tell me what equipment you are buying and selling? Cranes, bulldozers, tractors, lawn mowers, chain saws, or what? I apologize for not knowing but I haven’t scoped out all of your 1500 posts, me being lazy and all. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.