Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 1025 R in June of 2016 talked to my dealer a couple of times about an extended warranty and always decided not to buy one. My dealer told me i had one year from purchase date to buy an extended warranty, if I wanted and then could pick from 1 to 4 years extended. Decided not to do that last year. Last night I received another letter from John Deere asking if I would like a extended warranty again. I decided I was going to purchase it. I figured it would be active from the time I purchased the tractor and would expire in 2020. What came to my shock was the warranty begins on 6/15/2018, not a big deal at all. Then ending date is 6/14/2022, That was the surprise to me. I figured the date would be 2020 coming from the date I bought the tractor.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
I bought my 1025 R in June of 2016 talked to my dealer a couple of times about an extended warranty and always decided not to buy one. My dealer told me i had one year from purchase date to buy an extended warranty, if I wanted and then could pick from 1 to 4 years extended. Decided not to do that last year. Last night I received another letter from John Deere asking if I would like a extended warranty again. I decided I was going to purchase it. I figured it would be active from the time I purchased the tractor and would expire in 2020. What came to my shock was the warranty begins on 6/15/2018, not a big deal at all. Then ending date is 6/14/2022, That was the surprise to me. I figured the date would be 2020 coming from the date I bought the tractor.
The "extended warranty" extends the original factory warranty so the start date is the date your original warranty expires. Deere seems to send out those "You can sign up now!" letters every 6 months during the warranty period.

Reactions: PJR832 and Marlin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Extended Warranty

Jim R is correct, The same extended warranty you get at your dealership. Except I had bought my tractor almost 2 years ago, June 2018 will be two years. What is also weird is It doesn't take effect till June 2018 and then ends in June of 2022. That will be 6 years from when I purchased the tractor.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Was the 6 year, 2,000 hour warranty not a thing in 2016?

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
That's only on the power train, I took it he is talking about the bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes it was but not bumper to bumper for 6 years
I believe 2 yrs bumper to bumper and additional 4 on the drivetrain
All attachments are 1 yr I believe

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
But what is there to a tractor that you'd want to warranty besides the engine and transmission? It's a genuine question. I want to know if I'm missing something. Because it seems to me that small things, like steering cylinder, or driveshafts, aren't going to suddenly become defective after two years, you'll probably damage them if anything, which is not covered by a warranty. But even if they are defective, they are easy and cheap (relatively) to fix. It's the engine and transmission that are the big things.

Also, can you even get an extended warranty on attachments? Like...I bought my loader with the tractor. If I get the extended warranty, will it cover the loader? The MMM deck?

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
But what is there to a tractor that you'd want to warranty besides the engine and transmission? It's a genuine question. I want to know if I'm missing something. Because it seems to me that small things, like steering cylinder, or driveshafts, aren't going to suddenly become defective after two years, you'll probably damage them if anything, which is not covered by a warranty. But even if they are defective, they are easy and cheap (relatively) to fix. It's the engine and transmission that are the big things.
There are LOTS of little things that cost big bucks and they all can just suddenly go bad - including things like hydraulic cylinders and drive shafts.

Instrument panel: $450
Alternator: $440
Loader cylinder: $540
Hydraulic pump: $600
Steering valve: $620

On the new 2-series the linear actuator for the deck is $2000

JD parts prices are crazy and it's just a matter of "do you feel lucky". Then again, just because you have the extended warranty does not mean everything that goes bad will be covered.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
The 6-year/2,000 hour warranty was new for 2016. Deere introduced it in the spring of 2016 and made it retroactive to the beginning of the year. Those of us that bought prior to that got a 2-year warranty.

Reactions: PJR832 and mike01

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
On my 2038R the extended warranty was under 500 on the tractor the FEL was 129 and the box blade was 79$. so of course I bought it. :good2:

Reactions: PJR832 and mike01

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
On my 2038R the extended warranty was under 500 on the tractor the FEL was 129 and the box blade was 79$. so of course I bought it. :good2:
Those are good prices, and it appears you can warranty implements. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
There are LOTS of little things that cost big bucks and they all can just suddenly go bad - including things like hydraulic cylinders and drive shafts.

Instrument panel: $450
Alternator: $440
Loader cylinder: $540
Hydraulic pump: $600
Steering valve: $620

On the new 2-series the linear actuator for the deck is $2000

JD parts prices are crazy and it's just a matter of "do you feel lucky". Then again, just because you have the extended warranty does not mean everything that goes bad will be covered.
Exactly, I just had a FEL leak down fixed under warranty, didn’t actually see the bill but lift cylinder seals, new scv and lord knows how much labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
IMHO any time one buys something brand new and the merchant wants to sell you an extended warranty it throws up a red flag to me that the manufacturer knows the product is deficient in some manor. Why not stand behind the product and it (warranty) should be automatic part of the original sale price not an optional cost to the consumer. Auctually I feel the deficiencies should be corrected prior to being sold to the public.

We have come to expect and accept junk products that don’t hold up. After looking at some of the posted cost just for replacement JD parts my first thought is look to the aftermarket for replacements. Granted some of the parts they got ya by the balls because they are not in the aftermarket availability. But shafts, hydraulic cylinders, alternators, hydraulic hoses, fittings, starters, filters, u joints, bearings, and the like certainly are. And these things in many cases is 1/4 the cost.

JD should cover the tranny and engine for years because these things are the whole heart of a tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
IMHO any time one buys something brand new and the merchant wants to sell you an extended warranty it throws up a red flag to me that the manufacturer knows the product is deficient in some manor. Why not stand behind the product and it (warranty) should be automatic part of the original sale price not an optional cost to the consumer. Auctually I feel the deficiencies should be corrected prior to being sold to the public.

We have come to expect and accept junk products that don’t hold up. After looking at some of the posted cost just for replacement JD parts my first thought is look to the aftermarket for replacements. Granted some of the parts they got ya by the balls because they are not in the aftermarket availability. But shafts, hydraulic cylinders, alternators, hydraulic hoses, fittings, starters, filters, u joints, bearings, and the like certainly are. And these things in many cases is 1/4 the cost.

JD should cover the tranny and engine for years because these things are the whole heart of a tractor.
Having worked 17 years in a tractor plant and seeing what goes on inside I gladly bought the extended warranty on my new tractor. Remember the factory warranties the tractor nose to tail for two years then the power train for a total of 6 years. The extended warranty I bought covers the whole tractor 6 years. When I was building tractors they went from the starting assembly line thru "tractor repair" to the final assembly then thru insepction then thru "Final Repair". These units are built by people and anyone is subject to a bad day.

Reactions: PJR832 and bmichael

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
I agree with drifterbike, we bought an extended warranty on my wife’s Ford Edge, one complete brake job front and rear ( rear because of faulty calipers) and rear wiper motor and extended warranty is paid for with two repairs that otherwise would have been out of pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
extended Warranty

For me it was more of piece of mind. I can do anything I need to for mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and or electric on the tractor. My nearest JD dealer that will work on those tractors are still about half hour away. When I'm busy working those 100 hours week jobs or traveling I don't have time to work on the tractor. I just need to have the tractor working. so for me it for quick insurance. I have read about other having issues and the estimated cost they have to deal with. For me it is more my time.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My usual questions to anyone deciding to buy a service contract.

Are you actually going to use the machine or will it sit most of the time?
No use buying one when the unit will have 200 hours 5-10 years down the road. (Use converted from bikes to tractors)

Are you capable of & planning on fixing the machine yourself?
If yes don't bother.

Do you plan on having the dealership do all your maintenance and repairs?
If so I would recommend buying it.

Will you be able to pay for a major repair or will it be a financial hardship?
Is it easier to spend the money now or later?

Have seen this go both ways. Some people make out and save thousands over the life of the contract. Most however do not.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
My usual questions to anyone deciding to buy a service contract.

Are you actually going to use the machine or will it sit most of the time?
No use buying one when the unit will have 200 hours 5-10 years down the road. (Use converted from bikes to tractors)

Are you capable of & planning on fixing the machine yourself?
If yes don't bother.

Do you plan on having the dealership do all your maintenance and repairs?
If so I would recommend buying it.

Will you be able to pay for a major repair or will it be a financial hardship?
Is it easier to spend the money now or later?

Have seen this go both ways. Some people make out and save thousands over the life of the contract. Most however do not.
I agree with everything you've said here, especially the limited use, no sense buying an extended warranty if you on put 20-25 hours a year on a machine. My wife insists on extended warranties and on her last two vehicles (one a Ford, one a Chevy) they have both paid for themselves a couple of times over.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts