Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyones thoughts on extended warranties? My warranty is about to expire, I have a whopping 56 hours on the tractor. It feels like the warranty should still be there but I will find out this weekend but nevertheless the dealer says it is expiring and is offering an extension where I can pick my terms (running hours/years). Has anyone purchased one, if so why, and price?

thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
What are everyones thoughts on extended warranties? My warranty is about to expire, I have a whopping 56 hours on the tractor. It feels like the warranty should still be there but I will find out this weekend but nevertheless the dealer says it is expiring and is offering an extension where I can pick my terms (running hours/years). Has anyone purchased one, if so why, and price?

thanks
I don't usually buy extended warranties on vehicles for mechanical issues. I've bought extended warranties on my 2013 Lincoln MKS and my 2016 F150 Platinum because I don't trust the technology and if it breaks and doesn't affect the operation of the vehicle I don't trust myself to pay out of pocket to fix it.

So, to sum that up (and answer your question), I don't see myself buying an extended warranty on the 1025R.

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
It always boils down to "Do you feel lucky?" It's a crap shoot no matter how you look at it. If an extended warranty would give you peace of mind then perhaps it would be the right way to go.

Has your tractor been completely trouble free so far or do you have a few little nagging issues? Do you always do most repairs yourself? If so, then it's really the parts prices. Is transportation included? Do you have a way to haul the tractor yourself? Compare the extended warranty prices they are offering to what a typical repair might cost. With JD parts prices what they are and labor costs most serious attentions will be north of $1000.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

thanks
Do you service your machine yourself or do you have all routine services completed at the dealer? I learned the hard way that in general filling warranty claims with extended warranty is difficult when they can't look through service department records and see documentation that every single service was completed per the service manual by an authorized service department. It didn't matter I had receipts showing I purchased the parts, they accused me of just purchasing what was needed and not completing the service. If you was using the tractor often and putting some hours on it I could see wanting extra warranty but considering you only have 56 hours on it now how many will it have 3-5 years from now? It's possible you could be spending a couple grand for warranty to cover yourself for what, another 150 hours of actual use. If you push your tractor to its limits and worry that your using it just a bit to hard and something will break, maybe it's worth it. If your using the tractor well below its max capabilities and not really putting a lot of hours on it, you are the customer that makes extended warranties profitable for companies.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback. I just bought my wife a new car and because of the electronics I bought an extended warranty. Plus it was basically free after all my wifes haggling. For me, it is easier to just tell my wife to drive it to the dealer to get anything fixed. The tractor I will do all the service myself. I used to wrench at Cat in my younger years and have worked/built/engineered on high performance vehicles most of my life so no worries about the little things. It was more about the big things which I have no experience with or tools. I guess I will just roll the dice and skip the warranty. I don't see myself putting more than 50 hours a year on it although this year will be the first full year so I will know better in 6 months.

·
Registered
23,002 Posts
Here's a good time to give it a test. Take what the price is of the extended warranty and put it aside - in your bank or under your mattress. When the would be extended warranty period is up check your bank account or mattress stash.

If you have to make some repairs yourself during that period, take the money from the stash to pay for it. More times than not you will have all your money - and if not most of it.

Extended warranties are just about pure profit for the retailer.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Vehicle extended warranties are a scam in my book. For example, if you buy a 5 year plan it encompasses the already warranted 3/36. So you end up paying for what would have been a free warranty plus 2 years. Not sure if JD does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
Extended warranties are just about pure profit for the retailer.
Yes, but like with any insurance, to ensure a profit they are betting that only a fraction of those with coverage will ever make a claim.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was offered the extended warranty for my 2016 1025r TLB at a price of 1600 Dollars . Of course I DID NOT PURCHASE it . If you can do your own service intervals and are mechanical inclined save the money !!! This site offers all sorts of problems and solutions for these machines. You Tube has great stuff to watch and learn all !!!

Remember they come with a 2 year bumper to bumper for most things . And a 6 year drive train warranty , this is where your biggest cost could occur . I could find a better place for the money unless it is not an issue for yourself !!!

Just my 2 cents . I have had a few minor issues in the first 36 hours and the dealer came to my house to correct them at no charge .
They usually charge to do this or make you bring it to there shop.

I do have a heated shop / garage which the mechanic appreciates as well ... I trust my Dealer to go to bat for me when needed and I trust my machine as I keep it serviced and lubed ....

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I tossed the idea around a little for my 1026 but decided against it. Saved the money and didn't need the extended after all.

Most often though when a sales guy tries to upsell extended warranty like for a fridge, I look him in the eye with a look of concern and ask, "do you think this is not going to last that long?

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
Most often though when a sales guy tries to upsell extended warranty like for a fridge, I look him in the eye with a look of concern and ask, "do you think this is not going to last that long?
I once went to purchase an air conditioner, I believe it was from one of the big appliance stores. The sales critter came on strong with the extended warranty pitch. When I declined he got real disgusted and told me I was really taking a chance, and how there were a lot of components that could fail, blah blah. I said if purchasing the unit was that much of a risk perhaps it would be best if I looked for something else.... and out the door I went.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just an FYI, the biggest reason retailers want you to purchase that "no haggle replacement" warranty is so you can't/won't return it.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,824 Posts
Warranty about to expire on the Z Trak 997 in a couple of months, Deere sent me Their "Great" deal for an extended 3 year warranty, around
3 grand cost, still laughing about that. :laugh:

Did buy the extended warranty for the F 150 and Taurus, bumper to bumper, no deductible, 7 year, official Ford warranty, combined
costs for both vehicles a little under 3 grand.

Deere be out their freaking minds. :crazy:

:lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Didn't get one on the 1025R, did get one on the Mercedes that runs the term of the financing. To many things that can go wrong on the car.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The original warranty on my 4066R was up at the end of January, so I had a decision to make. I rarely take out an extended warranty, but this time I felt like I should due to the complexities of the computer controls and TierIV emissions. Especially after I found out that the guy that bought my old 1025R had to spend considerable money on the tranny after the warranty had expired. That did not inspire confidence in JD. I will say that my 4066R has been rock solid at 375 hours with only one trip to the dealer for a recall, in contrast to my 1025R which had to make several trips to the dealer. The extended warranty on my 4066R was for an additional 4 years at a cost of $2400. A lot of money, but small when you compare it to the original cost of the tractor or what it might cost for repairs on a LCUT. They did offer an 8 payment plan for no additional cost. I thought that it might be 8 payments of one each 6 months over the 4 years. But no, it was 8 payments of $295 spread over the first 8 months of the additional warranty period. Only 4 more........

Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am an electronics engineer by training, software developer by trade, and have worked on high performance vehicles most of my life although not recently (age, kids, wife, time - probably in inverse order). I did buy the extended warranty on my wifes car, one reason was because it returns the remaining cash back on the unused portion at the end of the warranty. At todays interest rates they aren't making money on my money and frankly my wifes haggling with them got the price down far enough that it was free (and we still saved money). The main reason however was the complexity of the electronics which for me aren't that big of an issue to figure out but the way that these cars are put together, it simply isn't worth my time to figure out their BS - designed for manufacturing, not service, wiring looms and assembly procedures. I got home that same day to an email from the JD dealer offering the extended warranty and asked myself how much I know about hydraulics (next to nothing) and mechanical (a lot) and whether I still have the tools (questionable) so it was more about time/effort than it was about expense. Traveling as much as I do (some pilots/flight crew/ticketing people/valet parking people have started to call me by first name) I had to give it a serious thought or two.

You guys however on this forum give me the confidence that I can figure out anything that pops up and the reputation of the equipment provides the rest. Thanks for your insight and help, and thanks for the feedback, you guys are the best.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts