Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After plowing 5 inches of snow on an extra wide driveway so that on the second pass snow was coming over the top, is there any thought to offering eventually a bolt on extension to the top of a 54"/66" plow set-up to compliment your extensions?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
After plowing 5 inches of snow on an extra wide driveway so that on the second pass snow was coming over the top, is there any thought to offering eventually a bolt on extension to the top of a 54"/66" plow set-up to compliment your extensions?
That is about the 5th time I've heard of people wanting an extension for the top of the plow. BTW, I agree. The moldboard is not high enough.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
It's one of many pet projects awaiting attention. Somebody on here got a rubber kit made for ATV plows. A little bit of searching should turn it up. I think it was our good friend "636mullet" (hope I got the username right:pray:).

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
That is about the 5th time I've heard of people wanting an extension for the top of the plow. BTW, I agree. The moldboard is not high enough.
Yep - not wide or high enough - that is why I shied away from the 54 plow and going a different direction.

In my opinion, the 54 blade was originally intended for the 300 & 400 series tractors which was perfect for them - quite a bit of a smaller tractor than the 1 & 2 series of today. In this pic you can see that the 54 blade is plenty enough for the 332:

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have the width thing covered thanks to Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Height is really what I want especially when I push up piles otherwise it will just roll over the top of the flap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The flap contains the snow quite well even during piling. I have piles as high as the plow goes on the loader arms. I have experienced very little spill over.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Height is really what I want especially when I push up piles otherwise it will just roll over the top of the flap.
Oh ok, I see. Snow can certainly spill over when piling due to the plow leaning back as it rises. I've watched the whole plow completely disappear lately with the piles getting to be 7+ feet high. At that point, the blade is basically parallel with the ground. If you have the diverter, just dump the plow down and push the top of the pile over/back when they get too high. With extension hoses, you could set your blade to zero angle, switch the hoses back to dump/curl, "dump" the plow down, and go around knocking the tops back. It's kind of fun, actually. You can also pull the tops back toward you and then push them away to a better place if that works. I "organize" once in a while between storms in preparation for the next one.

Truthfully, I don't think a few inches of higher blade is going to be the solution. I expect something along the lines of Big J Deere's flap will be better.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Yep - not wide or high enough - that is why I shied away from the 54 plow and going a different direction.

In my opinion, the 54 blade was originally intended for the 300 & 400 series tractors which was perfect for them - quite a bit of a smaller tractor than the 1 & 2 series of today.
Our 318 could hardly budge its plow with any amount of snow in front of it, including the use of wheel weights, chains and another 240+lbs of organic ballast.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
As Chris mentioned a rubber flap from an ATV plow helps a lot.
Just a question out of curiosity...
Is the lift cylinder that is removed with this system the same sized cylinder used for the angle?
So as you would have a spare angle cylinder? :think:

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Just a question out of curiosity...Is the lift cylinder that is removed with this system the same sized cylinder used for the angle?So as you would have a spare angle cylinder? :think:
Yes, same part number.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Just a question out of curiosity...
Is the lift cylinder that is removed with this system the same sized cylinder used for the angle?
So as you would have a spare angle cylinder? :think:
Excellent question, and yes, thanks to KennyD's curious observation, the cylinders happen to be the same. The only difference is with the fittings between the cylinder and the hydraulic hoses. There are a couple of extra elbows required to clear the hitch framework.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Excellent question, and yes, thanks to KennyD's curious observation, the cylinders happen to be the same. The only difference is with the fittings between the cylinder and the hydraulic hoses. There are a couple of extra elbows required to clear the hitch framework.
So that's another sweet selling point knowing you have a new spare cylinder should you develop a leak or jack it up in some way. With just swapping out the fittins.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Our 318 could hardly budge its plow with any amount of snow in front of it, including the use of wheel weights, chains and another 240+lbs of organic ballast.
Took me a second read to get the "organic ballast" - good one!

And I agree 100% - my 332 wasn't around anymore after the first winter with my driveway With most snowfalls around here I couldn't get the tractor itself up my hill (without plowing). I was talking the physical size and the fact that the plow actually clears a path wider than the tractor.

In another context:

Joe homeowner is upgrading and buying a compact diesel tractor to take care of his place. Half his reason for the purchase is plowing snow on his driveway. He goes to the dealer and decides on a 2 series tractor (I say 2 series since I don't know the width of the 1 series). He tells the dealer along with the tractor he wants a snow plow. Joe brings his tractor home along with the nice shiny yellow plow.

First snowfall Joe is out there happily plowing snow. Then he notices the plow isn't wide enough when angled to plow a path at least as wide as the tractor. When he gets to work he calls the dealer and tells him he must have sold him the wrong plow - it isn't wide enough for his tractor. Dealer informs Joe that this is the only plow available for his tractor and will have to live with it.

Now Joe isn't the type to get on-line and research things and find great informative sites like GTT where a great company like Artilian offers an aftermarket solution. Now what does he do? And if he does he finds lots of thread of folks who are great at metal fabrication and welding coming up with lots of different solutions to make the plow wide enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still haven't purchased the snow pusher and of course your system for attaching the 54 plow to the fork frame is always in the back of my mind as an alternative. Right now there is a 54 blade with quick hitch for sale for $550 locally which seems to be the common asking price around here. Then of course I would have to add the wings, 54 blade adapter, and either a hose kit or diverter valve and possibly a new cutting edge. A workable solution for sure which equals the cost of the pusher (not taking into account a diverter valve). The main reason - which of course is a personal issue - is that I want to have use of my forks in the winter also (very important!). I just can't physically lift the forks on and off the carrier. I need something that is plug and play on the quick attach system.

Sorry to get off track here - I want you (Chris) to know why I am not going forward with your great 54 blade setup.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
96PSD,

After some more plowing this weekend following yet another layer of snow here, I was going to discuss some more technique for topping snow piles (more like bulldozing them), but in review it occurred to me that you aren't using the plow on the loader. Duh! Sorry I guess I got a little distracted and missed that minor detail. :laugh:

So, now I understand your question better. If you would like to discuss exactly what you think would help, maybe give a call and we should be able to get you set up with a solution.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris,
I am real busy with a couple of shows this week, but I will reach out to you next week after I look at the plow design as it is now. And maybe sketch up something to send to you and see how you interpret it.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
fork snow plow

I still haven't purchased the snow pusher and of course your system for attaching the 54 plow to the me is always in the back of my mind as an alternative COALTRAIN, what u need is a plow where u can use ur forks to pick up plow and go to work plowing, I have a old farm tractor plow thet was on my jd 50 that I don't use anymore, so instead of hauling it in for junk I think that I am going to weld fork holders somehow to back of plow to use in summer to push brush piles around. I don't think I would use this in winter for me because of weight, it's around 8 to 9 ft wide, I haven't measured it in years, I just don't want to throw it away, so that is on my wish list for now. but wouldn't that be nice to pull right into plow frame pick it up drop a couple pins in and go, now I don't think it would angle, but for me it don't matter, but for u it would, get chris busy on that idea:bigthumb:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
I still haven't purchased the snow pusher and of course your system for attaching the 54 plow to the me is always in the back of my mind as an alternative COALTRAIN, what u need is a plow where u can use ur forks to pick up plow and go to work plowing, I have a old farm tractor plow thet was on my jd 50 that I don't use anymore, so instead of hauling it in for junk I think that I am going to weld fork holders somehow to back of plow to use in summer to push brush piles around. I don't think I would use this in winter for me because of weight, it's around 8 to 9 ft wide, I haven't measured it in years, I just don't want to throw it away, so that is on my wish list for now. but wouldn't that be nice to pull right into plow frame pick it up drop a couple pins in and go, now I don't think it would angle, but for me it don't matter, but for u it would, get chris busy on that idea:bigthumb:
That's a very thoughtful suggestion, Big Jim. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts