Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn’t find this using search (which I’m not always good at). Just to keep myself from doing something stupid, I figured I’d ask. I have a shortened telephone pole stuck in the ground by a previous tenant here at my house. He used to work for the phone company and planted it as a flagpole. I have obtained a real flag pole (one that won’t shred my flags with splinters) and would like to pull the pole, replacing it with mine.

It seems to be somewhat loose in its hole, in that I can wiggle it with muscle power. I’m thinking if I chop off most of the top, while leaving enough to wrap a chain on, I should be able to pull it straight up with a chain on my loader bucket. Does this sound logical or is it a bad idea? If it is a bad idea, what are my alternatives? I don’t really want to dig, as I have underground water lines running from the outdoor furnace to my shop very close by, and I’m not that good with the backhoe yet.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Why haven't you tried the loader lifting it yet? Nothing tried, nothing gained. As long as you have enough ballast so the rear stays on the ground, nothing will get hurt. With my 1500# RFM on the rear, I run out of lifting power before I run out of ballast.

Dave

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Do you have something like a "3 pt trailer hitch" on your tractor? If so, I'd probably use that and a chain or two in order to try and pull it out once you cut it down. You're going to have a lot more lifting POWER with the 3PH than with the FEL. Once you have it broke loose with the 3PH, maybe use the FEL to get it the rest of the way out since that gives you more lifting height.

Be careful if you lift with the 3PH that you don't pull the tractor over. Go slow. Raise the ROPS. Use your seatbelt.

The pole may be full of creosote which may mess up your chain on your chainsaw.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would insert a small stake right next to it to check for concrete. If there isn't any, it seems like the loader should have enough capacity (with rear ballast). You might also be able to bring it up in stages using the 3-pt hitch.

(A related issue is the suction created by a wet hole, which often causes problems with manual post removal. This shouldn't apply to your lift, but getting the water pool moving by pushing a garden hose into the hole can help break that suction.)

·
Premium Member
10,697 Posts
Do you have something like a "3 pt trailer hitch" on your tractor? If so, I'd probably use that and a chain or two in order to try and pull it out once you cut it down. You're going to have a lot more lifting POWER with the 3PH than with the FEL. Once you have it broke loose with the 3PH, maybe use the FEL to get it the rest of the way out since that gives you more lifting height.
I had a similar issue a while back except it was a 2-inch black iron pipe that someone had pounded into the ground. There was about 18-inches sticking above ground. I tried pulling up on it with a chain and the loader and the pipe just laughed.

I then wrapped the chain around the top hook on my iMatch and it pulled it right out with no problem.

The 3PH has close to 3-times the lifting force of the loader.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a similar issue a while back except it was a 2-inch black iron pipe that someone had pounded into the ground. There was about 18-inches sticking above ground. I tried pulling up on it with a chain and the loader and the pipe just laughed.

I then wrapped the chain around the top hook on my iMatch and it pulled it right out with no problem.

The 3PH has close to 3-times the lifting force of the loader.
Thank you for that info :good2:

·
Registered
478 Posts
BillyT -

I like your thinking on this. Shortening the pole reduces the risk of it falling back towards you when it clears the hole and it reduces the overall weight to pull . Rear ballast is a must have also, to keep your rig stable while pulling.

I've used my loader bucket with KBOGH's and chain to pull loose stumps, metal t-posts, and defunct satellite dish poles with quickcrete anchors from soft ground.

Having a helper/spotter might assist; I envision the possibility of your former phone pole falling forward when the base clears the hole. The chain might also need to be repositioned as the pole is removed. I recommend double wrapping the chain to maximize contact area. If you have a ladder and can tie a tag line near the top of the pole, your helper might be able to guide the pole fall into a safe direction.

Good luck on this operation. Understand your risks and fall-back plan should things start to go wrong,

Brian

I couldn’t find this using search (which I’m not always good at). Just to keep myself from doing something stupid, I figured I’d ask. I have a shortened telephone pole stuck in the ground by a previous tenant here at my house. He used to work for the phone company and planted it as a flagpole. I have obtained a real flag pole (one that won’t shred my flags with splinters) and would like to pull the pole, replacing it with mine.

It seems to be somewhat loose in its hole, in that I can wiggle it with muscle power. I’m thinking if I chop off most of the top, while leaving enough to wrap a chain on, I should be able to pull it straight up with a chain on my loader bucket. Does this sound logical or is it a bad idea? If it is a bad idea, what are my alternatives? I don’t really want to dig, as I have underground water lines running from the outdoor furnace to my shop very close by, and I’m not that good with the backhoe yet.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I pulled 6x6 fence posts using my loader like that. I used my forks with a steel cable wrapped around the forks and the post. Like the other poster said. You want it balanced so when the pole is lifted out, it won't be top heavy and fall over on you or the tractor.

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
I've always had better luck with 3ph..than using fel

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I’d use the 3pt hitch to pull it. But I’d shorten it first and have a helper just in case. I’ve had way better luck with 3pt than FEL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. It went well, easier and faster than I expected. I followed my original plan of using the FEL, since I’m lazy and didn’t feel like removing the backhoe. I figured if it wouldn’t pull it, THEN I’d switch out the backhoe for the IMatch. I’ve responded directly to a few comments and concerns, but I really appreciate all the feedback. Today was a good day to do this since the Missus was working from home. She’d be here to a) call 911 if I got squashed, and b) do some video for me. I’ve got a few stills for the thread here, and I’ll put up a video in a little while.

Why haven't you tried the loader lifting it yet? Nothing tried, nothing gained. As long as you have enough ballast so the rear stays on the ground, nothing will get hurt. With my 1500# RFM on the rear, I run out of lifting power before I run out of ballast.

Dave
Because it’s fast and relatively easy to ask if I’m missing anything that could kill, injure or damage, and a whole lot less painful than finding out firsthand. Like this...

Be careful if you lift with the 3PH that you don't pull the tractor over. Go slow. Raise the ROPS. Use your seatbelt.
It came out real easy with the FEL, but I learned something new, and real important concerning the 3 point.

The pole may be full of creosote which may mess up your chain on your chainsaw.
I hear you there. I usually go cutting with at least four chains, and I’ve got two power sharpeners, one in the shop, and one that runs off the truck battery. I’ve hit everything on can possibly hit inside wood during the course of my business.

The pole was approximately 20’ high and buried 5’ into the ground for a total of 25’. It’ll burn real nice in the outdoor furnace this winter. I’ve got a metal pole that telescopes up to 30’ that’s going in in its place. I sawed off the top 16’ leaving a nice stump to grab. I wrapped it as best I could (reattached the one hook after the picture) and started pulling and wiggling. I didn’t try to force anything, and it came up pretty fast and easy. I’ve got a bunch of work to do to clean up the ground and prep it for grass, but that’ll come as I get time.

26CB68C7-D91C-444D-8EAC-AEA67F3D5F5F.jpeg

56449199-FE36-4273-A28C-1487679673B8.jpeg

BE823444-0D20-4B0E-BA14-D0DFB6537258.jpeg

633D8653-8F6F-45FA-B383-01A329201127.jpeg

2BF9E087-1F3E-4D71-AF16-2E4BAF4547C9.jpeg

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bill - thanks for sharing your success with photos; these aide in understanding your methods. Even creosote treated poles have softer outer covers, which allowed your double-wrapped chain to bite.

Brian

Thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. It went well, easier and faster than I expected. I followed my original plan of using the FEL, since I’m lazy and didn’t feel like removing the backhoe. I figured if it wouldn’t pull it, THEN I’d switch out the backhoe for the IMatch. I’ve responded directly to a few comments and concerns, but I really appreciate all the feedback. Today was a good day to do this since the Missus was working from home. She’d be here to a) call 911 if I got squashed, and b) do some video for me. I’ve got a few stills for the thread here, and I’ll put up a video in a little while.

Because it’s fast and relatively easy to ask if I’m missing anything that could kill, injure or damage, and a whole lot less painful than finding out firsthand. Like this...

It came out real easy with the FEL, but I learned something new, and real important concerning the 3 point.

I hear you there. I usually go cutting with at least four chains, and I’ve got two power sharpeners, one in the shop, and one that runs off the truck battery. I’ve hit everything on can possibly hit inside wood during the course of my business.

The pole was approximately 20’ high and buried 5’ into the ground for a total of 25’. It’ll burn real nice in the outdoor furnace this winter. I’ve got a metal pole that telescopes up to 30’ that’s going in in its place. I sawed off the top 16’ leaving a nice stump to grab. I wrapped it as best I could (reattached the one hook after the picture) and started pulling and wiggling. I didn’t try to force anything, and it came up pretty fast and easy. I’ve got a bunch of work to do to clean up the ground and prep it for grass, but that’ll come as I get time.

View attachment 699536

View attachment 699538

View attachment 699540

View attachment 699542

View attachment 699544

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bill - thanks for sharing your success with photos; these aid in understanding your methods. Even creosote treated poles have softer outer covers, which allowed your double-wrapped chain to bite.

Brian
Thank you, Brian. I’ll be uploading the video my wife took shortly. I was very happy with how it went.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
For future endeavors, there's a way to get upward pressure from a horizontal pull. Just another way to skin the cat.

I think DieselShadow has a post about doing something similar with bushes and a piece of pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H3xFMm3Hw8

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you.

I’d caution however your plan to burn it in your outdoor boiler this winter, pine especially that coated in nasty creosote makes dangerous fumes and is a sure way to clog up the works with the creosote in your stack.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice job! Nice tractor too!
Thank you. Until the last few months, I’ve been dealing with a 1975 JD 400 with a loader and a 1963 Fordson Super Dexta. This 2038r is pure luxury.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad it all worked out for you.

I’d caution however your plan to burn it in your outdoor boiler this winter, pine especially that coated in nasty creosote makes dangerous fumes and is a sure way to clog up the works with the creosote in your stack.
Oh yeah. We’ve been running this thing since 2004. I throw in telephone poles and railroad ties with a bunch of mulberry, locust, maple, etc. Except for some smoke when I first load it, the neighbors don’t even know I’m using it.

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts

View attachment 699540

Good posting and Thanks

Seeing your chain wrapped around the pole reminded me of how I would try to pull a log out of the woods. I was always jumping off dads tractor and trying again to get the log or logs out of the woods.

Half Hitch Knot | How to tie a Half Hitch Knot using Step-by-Step Animations | Animated Knots by Grog

Then my dad and older brother told me how to do this.
Take a look at the half-hitch in the posting.
Imagine the end of the line with blue wrap is the hook on your chain.
Take the hook and fasten it into the chain somewhere around the end of the point (the arrow)

Connect other end to tractor, gator , 4 wheeler and away you go.

Chain will tighten onto the log ,post . metal post . Very seldom have I found where this does not work..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts