Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using straight up sunglasses with impact-rated lenses, but I find that my eyes are getting more and more sensitive to airborne dust/dirt.

Obviously the large objects that get tossed around by a mower/weedeater/chainsaw/etc are of concern, but my eyes, as I progress into my 40's, seem to dislike more and more the general dust and debris that is very small and is airborne when mowing.

Anyone have a good eye pro solution that helps with such stuff? Ideally that will either work with sunglasses or do double duty and protect from the fine particulates plus act as shades?

Thanks!

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
How form fitting are your current sunglasses?

They are not the cheapest, but my Oakley Flack Jackets do a good job for me.

Otherwise they make some motorcycle glasses with foam/padding around the frame to limit airflow around your eyes.

Amazon

I have never tried them, so I can't say how well they work.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm....I hadn't looked at Oakleys, but I get a pretty steep discount on them, so maybe I should revisit....

My current sunglasses aren't bad, and are made for cycling (bicycles), but they do leave some room for air flow. Since I put the discharge chute back on (it wasn't fitting through the shed door, even folded up, but I resolved that), the debris in the air is reduced somewhat. I just notice that my eyes are irritable after I mow more often than not anymore.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Good thread topic. I have the same issue.

I have been using some older Revo glasses I bought when I had a boat (it was my water tractor, literally). They hug my face pretty good, but not as tight as Oakleys. The Oakleys fog up for me... and they don't look that good on my fat head. Seems to be a direct ratio of protection versus fog for me. I sweat so bad I don't think the foam seal is a good option for me.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
A suggestion/word of caution about eye protection: Wear a hat! Dust & debris can collect in your hair and when you shower and this can then wash down into your eye(s). Bob

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I've been using straight up sunglasses with impact-rated lenses, but I find that my eyes are getting more and more sensitive to airborne dust/dirt.

Obviously the large objects that get tossed around by a mower/weedeater/chainsaw/etc are of concern, but my eyes, as I progress into my 40's, seem to dislike more and more the general dust and debris that is very small and is airborne when mowing.

Anyone have a good eye pro solution that helps with such stuff? Ideally that will either work with sunglasses or do double duty and protect from the fine particulates plus act as shades?

Thanks!
I solved that with a cab!!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I wear the Milwaukee brand sunglasses/safety glasses and have a few pairs of the clear as well. They arnt a sealed kit, but as mentioned earlier, wearing a hat helps. I'm happy with them.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Agree, always wear a hat too, that does help keep it out of your eyes. And for the other PPE, a neck gaiter thing and ear protection... most of the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have cut grass for years and always use cheap fishing glasses from Walmart. Picked up a new customer this year and he happens to work for 3m. He gave me a pair to try and I love them. They are slightly vented so your eyes can breathe and they don't fog up. I do get a very little bit of dust in every now and then but nothing like before. I will be buying several pair of the tinted version.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.