Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen on Motor Trend Ford is testing what is believed to be a 3L V-6 diesel (Land Rover) in the F150 with what they believe to be a mid-summer launch. New transmission as well. Hp and Tq were rumored to by 2xx HP and 4xx torque.

We'll have to wait and see if this information is true.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I just hope this will not be screwed up like the 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7L have been. To bad, as Ford used to be a GREAT truck. 6.0l would have been great, except for the poor sealing head gaskets(4 bolt heads vs 6 bolt heads in the 7.3),and lack of appropriate cooling on cyl, 7 & 8. Of course the side loading of the original injectors was an issue too. Loved my 2003, but divorce got it before I had any issues. The 6.0 is a great engine with minor issues that turn major quickly. All related to EGTs. It can be made bulletproof, which Ford should have done in the first place.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I just hope this will not be screwed up like the 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7L have been. To bad, as Ford used to be a GREAT truck. 6.0l would have been great, except for the poor sealing head gaskets(4 bolt heads vs 6 bolt heads in the 7.3),and lack of appropriate cooling on cyl, 7 & 8. Of course the side loading of the original injectors was an issue too. Loved my 2003, but divorce got it before I had any issues. The 6.0 is a great engine with minor issues that turn major quickly. All related to EGTs. It can be made bulletproof, which Ford should have done in the first place.
Ford should have had a recall on all 6.0s, and for any 6.0s that was bulletproofed they should have re-embursed the owner.. The only brand new vehicle I owned was a 05 F350 with the 6.oh no.. I had no plans on ever getting rid of it, but with all the 6.0 issues on the Powerstroke sites, it was time to get rid of my ticking time bomb.. A nice V10 showed up on local lot and I jumped on it..

Now, for the diesel engines in the half tons..... I just think its a waist of $$$ All the money you spend on the diesel engine will pay for a lot of gas. Then figure in the maintance costs and the gassers will come out on top. Now if your pulling a RV from state to state on a regular basis, then yes diesel is the way to go, and that will be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck..

I know a guy with a 1/2 ton Dodge, very nice truck, BUT I did see on a site that a oil change is like $300? Maybe that includes a fuel filter too, Im not sure, but $300 for oil change.... No thanks..

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ford should have had a recall on all 6.0s, and for any 6.0s that was bulletproofed they should have re-embursed the owner.. The only brand new vehicle I owned was a 05 F350 with the 6.oh no.. I had no plans on ever getting rid of it, but with all the 6.0 issues on the Powerstroke sites, it was time to get rid of my ticking time bomb.. A nice V10 showed up on local lot and I jumped on it..

Now, for the diesel engines in the half tons..... I just think its a waist of $$$ All the money you spend on the diesel engine will pay for a lot of gas. Then figure in the maintance costs and the gassers will come out on top. Now if your pulling a RV from state to state on a regular basis, then yes diesel is the way to go, and that will be in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck..

I know a guy with a 1/2 ton Dodge, very nice truck, BUT I did see on a site that a oil change is like $300? Maybe that includes a fuel filter too, Im not sure, but $300 for oil change.... No thanks..
If someone is paying $300 for an oil change they are over paying by about $250

I love diesels but with more and more crap being put on them, I agree, they are to the point of not being worth the money....less one is willing to delete the EGR and DPF

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
If someone is paying $300 for an oil change they are over paying by about $250

I love diesels but with more and more crap being put on them, I agree, they are to the point of not being worth the money....less one is willing to delete the EGR and DPF
With 4 gallons of oil at $13-14 a gallon and $10 for a filter, I can't change the oil in my 7.3 for $50 doing the labor myself. I think the fuel filters for a 6.0 were over $100 way back when. It's no surprise that newer, more complex diesels are getting much more expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
With 4 gallons of oil at $13-14 a gallon and $10 for a filter, I can't change the oil in my 7.3 for $50 doing the labor myself. I think the fuel filters for a 6.0 were over $100 way back when. It's no surprise that newer, more complex diesels are getting much more expensive to maintain.
I was being slightly disingenuous but $300 is still way overpriced

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

They may be requiring full synthetic oil in these new diesels. That is the major problem with these. Oil breaks down very quickly in engines using the oil as hydraulic fluid. In addition to breakdown of the oil you have all of the contaminates. Bypass filtration and full synthetics helps all of this but not entirely.

For a high quality synthetic you will pay about 6 to 10 per quart so that would be 120 bucks average for the oil alone. Filters are expensive. So worst case scenario you would be $175 to 200 to do it yourself. If you add good additives there is another 50-60 bucks. So it is not completely out or reach.

Filtration for fuel as well as adding additives for lubricity are needed for common rail HPFP units.

The 6.0 when built the right way was truly a bulletproof engine. Was where they should have stopped, if the gov't had not been so ridiculous.

The 6.7 with their ceramic bearings in the turbo was some idiot engineers way of making things better. That worked out sooo well. If you take off all the crap, it probably would live a long time.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
~snip

I see you later said $200 but either way it doesn't shock me if that is at the dealer as part of a scheduled maintenance. I doubt it is just an oil change.

For instance on my Jetta TDI, oil changes are every 10K miles. I do it myself for about $60 at the dealer it is going to run at least $100. 20K is going to add fuel filter and it is about $100 for me and around $300 at the dealer. Even more if it is a 40K service and you need a transmission fluid change on the DSG cars. If it is just oil, it is a lot but I would imagine it is more to the service than that.

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Had an '02 Excursion Eddie Bauer 7.3 diesel. Great vehicle. ~ 20 MPG and only ever put a crankshaft position sensor in it ~ 200,000 miles. Also had an '05 Excursion Limited 6.0 diesel. Never got the mileage the 7.3 did. Probably ~ 18 MPG. Put 240,000 miles on it before selling it to a friend and it's still going strong. On some good advice I did do the EGR delete early on which most definitely reduced the possibility of expensive issues.

In my case it's all highway miles. No stop & go city driving. Never started them unless I was going to drive 200 miles. Regular full synthetic oil changes. Fuel treatment with every fill-up. Fuel & air filters at reduced intervals. I did use Blackstone oil analysis at every oil change and never received a bad report or alert.

The biggest problem with the diesels is aftermarket tuners that increase the turbo boost. This is especially an issue with the 6.0L engines and led to head gasket issues. The 6.4 had numerous problems relating back to wiring harness chafing, fuel lift pump moisture issues, leaking radiators and oil dilution due to regeneration with trucks used mostly in city / stop & go service.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It would be GREAT if MOPAR came out with a diesel designed after the 225 slant-six that powered along just fine and economically. :thumbup1gif:
Dad had a couple of those Slant-6's. Affectionately referred to one as "The Dodge FAILURE". And the other two were nothing to brag about either. Normally a converted gasoline engine makes a horrible diesel engine. The GM 5.7L is my first example, GMC TORO-FLOW is my 2nd. Both make the top five WORST diesel engines ever built lists.

Had some time to kill a couple Saturday's ago at my local Ford store. I read the window sticker on a $62,000 '16 F-150. 2.7L EcoBoost V-6, 4wd, 4 door, short bed, 5-1/2' I think. Really wasn't all that special. I imagine the diesel option would add a minimum of $5000 to the sticker. Ford had International/Navistar design a 4.5L V-6, the VT-275 when they did the VT-365 or 6.0L PSD back in '03. The fact it bumped the sticker price so high is why it was never built. It's biggest competitor would have been the 6.0L in 3/4 & 1-ton trucks and Ford didn't want to do anything to lower sales of their CASH COW full size trucks. The only reason Nissan puts a 5.0L V-8 Cummins diesel in their pickup is to generate sales. The Toyota Tundra has higher sales but will get a diesel too. The RAM 1500 diesel is biased towards high mpg with lower displacement, lower HP & torque, and from what I've heard, delivers on it's promise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts