Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my F525 has become very difficult to. Get started. It’s started to back fire through both the muffler and carb when trying to start it. Without it starting. I’m at a loss on where to begin. Valves, carb. What are you alls thoughts. I don’t mind spending money but don’t want to spend bad money.

Thanks.

Keith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I would make sure it has good, consistent spark. Then, re-adjust the carb and make sure its correct, and then move to valves.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the carb today. The gaskets were shot between the carb, spacer, and block. Ew ones on order. Hopefully that will help. If not I’ll order a new carb.
Spark is good and compression is still good. Put my hand against the intake while cranking and the suction was excellent. Hopefully the gaskets might fix it. Going to replace the fuel line and vent line that goes from the carb to the tank as well.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this thing is kicking my but. I put new gaskets in last week and it made no difference. So I ordered a new carb. No difference. Still backfires through the muffle and carb.

So I checked the valves. Both adjusted perfectly. .006. Spun he engine by hand and they work normally. Exhaust valve is also acting as compression release as it should.

Then checked the compression. When cranking the engine I get 80 PSI. So that’s good.

Then pulled the flywheel to check and make sure the timing is right. Everything looks perfectly normal.

Fuel pump is pumping fuel.

So I have spark, compression, and fuel but the darn thing won’t run.

Time to bug the techs tomorrow at the dealer. One guy says he hates working on them. I’ll talk to him. Hopeful,y if I threaten to bring it in he’ll give me some other things to check.

If not it was a great mower while it lasted. I’ve had it for about 12 years and put 300 hours on it.

Maybe a F725 to replace it. Or a F935.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We’re getting closer to fixing this thing.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I think I have it. Yesterday when I was putting it back together I flooded it and thought now what’s not working. By since I suspected that it was flooded I let it sit over night.

This morning I went out and this is what I was greeted with.
https://youtu.be/o7ED5Ui7hfY

The coil really surprised me being bad. When I’d pull the plug and ground it out and crank the engine the spark plug looked like it was sparking good. So I never suspected it. Guess it wasn’t quite good enough.

Finally. Now to fix a few simple things (a wire terminal and seat) and my son will be back in the mowing business. Good think to as we got over three inches of rain yesterday.

Neighbor has one of these for sale. Maybe I’ll add it to the fleet. It needs some work too. If so I’ll invest in a technical manual. :yes:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it wasn’t fixed. Kept back firing through the carb.

So an ignition igniter was order and replaced.

Finally. It’s fixed. Fingers crossed. Now my son can mow until his heart is content.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well it wasn’t fixed. Kept back firing through the carb.

So an ignition igniter was order and replaced.

Finally. It’s fixed. Fingers crossed. Now my son can mow until his heart is content.

So J3 Driver. So everything still working fine with new coil and igniter?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is.

Now if I can figure out why the deck belt keeps popping off. It’s always something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts