Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here. I learned a very important lesson today that I should hook up the positive terminal and THEN the negative terminal, but here we are. I was tightening the positive terminal nut on my F911 battery and bumped my socket handle against the bottom of the seat for just a second and it sparked (of course). I found the 3 fuses behind the seat and they look fine, but I feel like I must have blown something else since there is no indication of power. I even tried jumping it just in case the battery was dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ed

·
Registered
126 Posts
From what you described, the only current path you created was from the positive battery post, through the wrench, to the seat (supposedly ground), back up a cable to the negative battery post. My sense of logic says the problem is located along that path.

Disconnect the battery (negative first! :) ) and check the battery and then the negative return path(s) from the seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to test the fuses with a multimeter, they can appear good and still have failed. Are those three the only fuses on the machine?
From what you described, the only current path you created was from the positive battery post, through the wrench, to the seat (supposedly ground), back up a cable to the negative battery post. My sense of logic says the problem is located along that path.

Disconnect the battery (negative first! :) ) and check the battery and then the negative return path(s) from the seat.
Here is what I have done so far. I have tested the fuses with a multimeter. All 3 show continuity. I checked the voltage of the battery (it was connected - I'm not sure if that affects anything) and voltage showed almost exactly 12v. I tested one relay per the instructions my local JD dealership printed out for me. It passed. I have not tested the ignition switch yet, but I have removed it and think I just found the instructions for testing it. I think this wiring diagram is for the F935, but it seems to match mine pretty closely.
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Font

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the safety switches check?
The mower came with the property. The seat switch has been bypassed already. I will double-check everything else. Usually, I can stand next to the mower and start it (like when I need to jump it and the seat is up). I probably won't spend the whole night working on it, but I'm going to run out and check a few things. Thanks to you and everyone else so far for your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm happy to report that everything seems to be working now. I tested the ignition switch and it was fine. I reassembled everything and nothing worked. So, I started poking around on the engine side and disconnected/re-connected things. Eventually, I got a tone when I turned the key to the run position and it started up. I suspect there is a wire that is loose or partially melted. I will have to test again tomorrow to see if I can get the tone to stop by jiggling various wires. This should help me isolate the faulty/loose wire. Thanks so much for all of your help! We love this old mower and want to keep it going for as long as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts